Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Hillsborough The Search For Truth ITV1 10.35 Tonight (Monday)

1789101113»

Comments

• Options
    redman said:

PLEASE LEARN TO READ ! it says mass murders, not murderers. The message is that they were murders not that the population of Yorkshire are murdreres. If you cant see the distinction please shut up.

not sure how to edit and my comment has ended up in the middle of pigs post

Hilarious, you're telling me I need to learn to read, when you cant spell the very word you're referring too, I even tidied up your post quote for you so you can see your error you Mug.

Please click the link and get back to me. and tell me I still cant read, lol.

• Options
    Off_it said:

I seem to remember reading somewhere ages ago that as well as people being crushed up against the front fence and when the crush barrier gave way, there were also a number of people who died in the tunnel at the back. Is that right?

Can't seem to find anything on it now.

Anyone?
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Off_it said:

I seem to remember reading somewhere ages ago that as well as people being crushed up against the front fence and when the crush barrier gave way, there were also a number of people who died in the tunnel at the back. Is that right?

Anyone?
    I'm sure I remember that being reported at the time but the Interim Taylor Report states

'111. Although the great majority of those who died were in pen 3, at least five were in pen 4. Most deaths
    occurred at the front of the pens but there were a few fatalities further back'.
  • Options
    Swerve said:

Off_it said:

Off_it said:

Anyone?
    I'm sure I remember that being reported at the time but the Interim Taylor Report states

'111. Although the great majority of those who died were in pen 3, at least five were in pen 4. Most deaths
    occurred at the front of the pens but there were a few fatalities further back'.
    Cheers.

I remember walking through that tunnel when we played up there - bloody horrible it was.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Swerve said:

Off_it said:

Off_it said:

Anyone?

Cheers.

I remember walking through that tunnel when we played up there - bloody horrible it was.
    I was there in March 1989 for our 1-1 draw, we had about 300 there but walking through the tunnel to the terrace with the JR's I remember thinking how scary it would be in a big crowd, the ceiling was very low and it was dark as hell in there.
  • Options
    edited September 2012

We live in a fantastic age where we have instant access to the evidence. We don't need politicians or the vile MacKenzie to interpret it for us, we can read it for our selves. It is there in black and white. It couldn't be clearer. I'll spell it out once more:

The Police failed to control the numbers of fans in the two central pens. Because of the design of the ground in that area, it required those controlling the crowd to ensure that the area of the two pens were shut off once the crowd in those areas reached a certain level. They didn't do this. Had they have controlled this, drunk, ticketless or otherwise it would have made no difference, those in those two pens would not have been crushed sufficiently to kill them. The fans did not cause it.

Spot on.

I have a little sympathy for the police on the day - although I do want to be absolutely clear that there is no excuse for the cover up that happened afterwards. It's easy to forget the context of the time - the pens were there because there was so much violence in football grounds, and we are where we are today because of what we've learned through the tragedy.

There was a difficult decision for the police on the day, but sadly it wasn't thought through and had disastrous consequences. Fans were being crushed outside the ground - one guy interviewed on the docu said he feared for his safety - and the tragic irony is that the decision to open the gate was on grounds of safety. What made it such a poor decision was that no-one controlled the fans pushing into the pens and directed them to the outer pens where there was space.

This of course was further compounded by the reaction of senior police to the crowds trying to get out of the pens, assuming it was hooliganism and directing those on the ground to keep them in the pen at all costs. I think if you remember the context of the time this conclusion wouldn't surprise anyone, and I have a vague recollection that even someone on Grandstand commented on a 'pitch invasion' before the horror of what was happening became clear.

I'm not excusing the police by any means, and again I'll state that the cover-up is indefensible. One thing that should be clear to all now was that the blame lay in the way the fans were forced into cages too small to take them all. It was never their fault, not even the ticketless whether their number is exaggerated or not, because the police had that the responsibility for crowd safety and should have planned to manage all the risks. In truth it was a disaster waiting to happen, and on that day the game changed forever - but its legacy has largely been good, arguments about terrace safety notwithstanding. It's just an enduring tragedy that it took 96 young lives for us to see sense.

MOTD2's end-credit tribute brought a tear to the eye, silently rolling the names of the 96 in order of their age. Right down to a 10 year old.
  • Options

redman said:

PLEASE LEARN TO READ ! it says mass murders, not murderers. The message is that they were murders not that the population of Yorkshire are murdreres. If you cant see the distinction please shut up.

not sure how to edit and my comment has ended up in the middle of pigs post

Hilarious, you're telling me I need to learn to read, when you cant spell the very word you're referring too, I even tidied up your post quote for you so you can see your error you Mug.

Please click the link and get back to me. and tell me I still cant read, lol.

Yes OK, that link does make it clear it is murderers. Really didn't look that way on the original picture. My mistake

• Options
    Absolute class from Everton FC before their game tonight
  • Options
    Agreed Gary. Wonderful touch from Everton, top stuff.