Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CAFC Player - poor quality of commentary?

Comments

• Options
    Excellent commentary today. Well done to all concerned.
  • Options
    Gotta say Emma with Pete F today was a good commentary...I was concerned when i first heard she was on...but well done Emma....and well done Pete for guiding her!!!
  • Options
    I thought they were crap.

Not once did they say we scored.

Booooooooooooooooooooo
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    I was at the game, My old man said the commentary was alright all game.

I was there we were lucky imo, Millwall had shot after shot.
  • Options
    Don't know know if peterF guided or not so on this occasion sole credit goes to emma. Fantastic job.

• Options
    Last season I complained about Emma so it's only fair to congratulate her for her improved commentary, although Peter F had to keep her focused from time to time.
  • Options
    See... Now... I would really like us to have a channel to pass those positive comments through...

Maybe with a rating score for two or three criteria

That would definitely be smth for the bbc
  • Options
    Credit where credit is due, Emma was excellent as was Peter. She has improved remarkably from when she used to cover our games. Virtually the whole game was spent on describing the action. However I prefer to listen to women commentating on womens sport and men on mens sport, but that's just a personal preference and probably makes me a misogynist nutjob in the eyes of our esteemed Prime Minister.
  • Options
    Wasn't someone on here a friend of Emmas , they were a bit upset when she was getting slated last season ...
    Hope they read the positive feedback and let her know
  • Options

I thought they were crap.

Not once did they say we scored.

Booooooooooooooooooooo

I will have a word with the powers that be, goals were expected...... very sorry if your enjoyment was spoiled...

Cheers for all the comments, tough old game yesterday.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

However I prefer to listen to women commentating on womens sport and men on mens sport, but that's just a personal preference and probably makes me a misogynist nutjob in the eyes of our esteemed Prime Minister.

I kind of understand that sentiment, Emma did a really good job but her voice rings through my ears. Therefore I don't enjoy listening to her, I used to work with someone whose voice just annoyed me. One of those things I suppose.
  • Options
    I didn't hear Emma yesterday, but by all accounts credit where credit is due, glad you all heard the action.
    As for the Millwall commentator Deano or somebody, assisted by the wonderful Steve Gritt, well he had so much off topic chit chat I yearned for Jamie Reid! He described Millwalls play, but when we were doing anything he got bored and went off topic until Millwall were back in possession. Gritty was OK, but not commentating. The Millwall one is one of the poorest away commentaries I have listened to.
  • Options
    I too was pleasantly surprised with Emma's commentary. It was very good. I'm amazed and pleased to be able to admit it.

Credit too to Pete Finch. He seems to really try to push the BBC commentator back on track if they go astray. I think it was during the Huddersfield commentary that he simply ignored some daft irrelevant waffle by the BBC commentator. Absolutely brilliant -he just ignored him - and started saying what was happening on the pitch. I cheered when he did this - keep it up Mr Finch.

Let's hope this sudden new good commentary continues. Perhaps the letters and complaints have made a difference after all.
  • Options
    Sorry to drag this up again, but, reading on here and twitter today, it seems like it back to the old 1min of football/5 mins of chat. My subs run out last week, but if it is as bad again, don't think I will be giving them anymore money.
    Who's doing the commentary today ?
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    I gave them 3 minutes and switched to the biased and yet 100% match focused Ipswich coverage - i am cancelling in February when mine comes up for renewal

Jamie Reed - dont think he is really interested in football hence his preference for in-jjokes and matey banter - sad
  • Options
    Not listening today, but it's a pity that they are apparently back to their old ways. It was the same at the Bolton game so I switched to the Bolton commentary which was much much better. We had the other guy commenting at Sheff Weds who was also much much better.

I still don't think anyone had reestablished whois decision it is to keep sending us Jamie Reed but if you're reading, please stop it because Jamie clearly refuses to listen to criticism.
  • Options
    To be fair they were much better in the 2nd, Finch should be given a go on his own - not sure why Reed is there.
  • Options
    I thought it was good coverage today; I enjoyed the commentary. Thanks lads.
  • Options
    reed is unable to keep to a commentary, even with Finchy's best efforts to get him back into focus.
    very poor today, possibly worse because the team ere poor.
  • Options
    Not bothering with Charlton Player, until they improve the consistency and quality of the commentary. Less chit chat and concentrate on telling us where the ball is on the pitch, who has the ball and who they are passing to; what is the direction of play and where the ball is in relation to the different stands / ends. Try to listening to some Radio 5 commentary's first. Alan Green maybe not everybody's favourite commentator, but he is always aware that he is commentating for the people listening at home. Just remembering whilst they are there in the first place (to let those listening what is going on, even if it is sod all) and focusing on what they are doing.

Shouldn't be too difficult, but generally seems to beyond them. Until some improvement, I will stick will Charlton Life game updates and the BBC. Will happily go back to Charlton Player if they ever sort themselves out.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It must be caused by the lack of anything going on on the pitch. I thought the commentary at the Massives was very good but yesterday's match against Ipswich drifted away from the match more but assumed by the post match comments that it wasn't a good match to watch.
  • Options
    Go find Mark Mansfield for the commentary and Charlton life. think him and PF would make a good team. even my son who cant always be at the game but logs on to my subcription has told me to cancel it as he never knows whether we are attacking or defending,on top or under pressure,playing well or playing bad,he said commentary was very poor yesterday and to not waste my money,first time his ever worried about me wasting money!!
  • Options
    To be honest it was poor yesterday, some of the time not even knowing players names for gods sake!
  • Options
    It can be poor but for me personally does the trick with letting me no what is going on in general whilst im normally working(that is my routine) and considering how small the monthly fee is im ok with that.
  • Options
    Solidgone said:

It must be caused by the lack of anything going on on the pitch. I thought the commentary at the Massives was very good but yesterday's match against Ipswich drifted away from the match more but assumed by the post match comments that it wasn't a good match to watch.

It wasn't Jamie Reed commentating at Hillsborough, that's why.

• Options
    Like others got irritated by our guys and switched to the Mick Mills Ipswich commentary which was very good. Normally quite like Finchy.
  • Options
    It takes the piss having to stay up till 1am (with work at 9am the next day) to listen to Jamie Reed tell me about his life, it's not what I want to hear and it's certainly not what I pay for.
  • Options
    Solidgone said:

and that is the crux of the matter, we are listening to the commentary for the simple reason we cannot watch it - that is what I was lead to believe I am paying for, for someone to watch it for me & describe the action even if the game is the direst of 0-0 draws - I am not at all interested in Jamie Reed or Peter Finch & what they get up to in their spare time, or what inter-mate banter there is amongst their little group - not interested in the slightest whatsoever - I am just interested in hearing play-by-play what is happening on the pitch. I inwardly groan as soon as I hear Read's voice....

• Options
    edited December 2012
    I've said this before, get Charlton Live's Terry Smith aka Killersbeard to commentate on our games.
    Just listening to the fella on Sunday night's is enough to know that he knows what he is talking about, would be a huge improvement over the current setup.

Someone get their finger out their **** and appoint this fella before we all jack it in.

That is all.
  • Options
    Guys...

We need to actually do something other than moan amongst ourselves on here to get anything changed

I still honestly believe that if we open a channel of communication with the right person we can influencecthe service we are receiving

For now, i believe that offering the bbc a "service" of structured feedback on commentary after each game is the way to go. Getting the club (via matt wright) and the service provider on board would be a bonus.

Any thoughts?