Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CAFC Player - poor quality of commentary?

Comments

• Options
    How was it today - Derby commentary was good, not too biased and 100% focused on the game....
  • Options
    It was much better today. I didn't feel the need to switch commentary.
  • Options

Guys...

We need to actually do something other than moan amongst ourselves on here to get anything changed

I still honestly believe that if we open a channel of communication with the right person we can influencecthe service we are receiving

For now, i believe that offering the bbc a "service" of structured feedback on commentary after each game is the way to go. Getting the club (via matt wright) and the service provider on board would be a bonus.

Any thoughts?

Siv.
    You have tried, I tried before by contacting Jamie Reid. We eventually got something from Matt Wright. The BBC bounce us to Player, and Player bounces us right back. It is murky to discover who is responsible for what, and which piper is paying which person to produce which tune.
    The overarching concept is that we, the humble listener (payer!), or representatives of the club, have no right to tell a (so called) 'professional' how to do their job, they know best, and if they choose to tell us the inside leg measurement of all of their relatives during play, well we have to jolly well put up with it. We go round and round in circles which is such a shame, because all we want, all we jolly well want, all we damn well pay for, is a description of the action.
    Jamie Reid. I am an old git, but I can do a 100% better job than you, untrained that I am, with no previous experience. In fact Jamie Reid I could commentate you under the table because I would at least try to tell people what is happening.
    In terms of percentages, those respondants here who would sacrifice action for a bit of colour or background are probably 5%, those respondents here who want the action are about 95%.
    We don't wan't a lecture about how they know most people are happy with what they provide, or even a lecture about commentary providing a balance between action and background and how the reckon they 'get the balance about right'. No. We wan't Jamie Reid, or any other egotistical, in joke cracking, 'personality' of a commentator to do one...and get somebody in to do the job we pay for. I will do it for free if you like, it simply can't lurch on like this from game to game.

• Options
    edited December 2012
    Jamie Reeves is a bit of a strange fellow.Seems a nice enough sort of chap though.
    Doesn't so much commentate, just talks about the odd thing or two.Players and management on first name terms.
    Much like the fella I sit next to in the ground.Which is not a lot of use when you are at home listening to the radio!
  • Options
    Watford on five live extra? If it's Alan Green pompous and patronising and disinterested then we may as well abandon ship.
  • Options
    It should be on 94.9 tomorrow
  • Options
    Excellent commentary today. This northern fella,cant remember his name,is so much better than Reeves.
  • Options

Excellent commentary today. This northern fella,cant remember his name,is so much better than Reeves.

You mean Reid - you're not very good with names are you carly?

Commentary has been great today though.

It's always more tolerable when we're doing well of course!
  • Options
    Pete, 'the match summariser', has hardly got a word in today.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

which is good, much as i enjoy his contribution - the match summariser is there for ocassional input not constant chit chat..... was the perfect balance today

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Yes, very good. The one bit where there was a bit of a chat they guy actually said that there was no action on the field.
  • Options

You mean Reid - you're not very good with names are you carly?

Commentary has been great today though.

It's always more tolerable when we're doing well of course!
    Cheers Seth.

• Options
    Oakster said:

which is good, much as i enjoy his contribution - the match summariser is there for ocassional input not constant chit chat..... was the perfect balance today

Very much agree.

• Options
    Stig said:

Yes, very good. The one bit where there was a bit of a chat they guy actually said that there was no action on the field.

Even better at one point he broke off from a period of chat (about the game, not the internal temperature of the pies) and said "You can probably tell from the commentary, there's not much happening on the pitch right now. Still, we must focus on the action.".

Good man.

• Options
    The Blackburn commentary was pretty poor, and by the sound of it I should have listened to ours.
    I like to hear how others see us as it were, but most of all I want a full on Charlton commentary with loads of descriptions about what our players are doing. The downside of the other teams coverage is they tend to go silent, or off topic, or chit chat a lot when we have the ball.
  • Options
    I also liked the Charlton commentary today. Pete seemed to like it as well. He chuckled quite a bit in his interactions with the BBC chap (what was his name again?)
  • Options
    Commentary was good today
  • Options
    Yeah. What is the fellas name?
  • Options
    I really enjoyed hearing Pete chuckling as well. He was getting worked up and spilling his drink in his excitement. I thought it all added to a rather spiffin' day!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I thought I was listening to theirs what with the ecky-thump accent. Agree they were better today than most we have had. They seemed to give up commentating for the last ten minutes and just talk about the goals and how we needed to hang on....
  • Options
    The commentator was Mark Taylor, he is BBC London's Northern Correspondent and covered the away game at Carlisle last season, he is always decent, I was pretty quiet during the first half as I have been having some throat problems since giving up smoking a few weeks ago! Not sure what the incident was that led me to spill the coffee, but it went everywhere. A fine win and credit to those travelling fans who did us proud yesterday.
  • Options
    I would like to thank Peter Finch and the other commentators for a great commentary from Cardiff yesterday for the Under 21 Play Off Final.
    Who needs the BBC when we have our own Finchy?
    Thank you chaps
  • Options
    I have to agree with this. At no time yesterday did I feel that I was missing any of the action which was comprehensively described. If we had these two for every away match I would not listen to the opposition which I tend to do.
    The commentary at Boro was frustratingly awful, and I am afraid indulgent too. To make matters worse I had to listen to the Charlton Athletic player for the match because Middlesboro don't have it. I also listened to the clip from last week against Bristol City where Yanns fantastic first goal wasn't described at all as it happened, but what we got was a post goal description.
    Cue somebody digging me out for being in any way critical.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

I have to agree with this. At no time yesterday did I feel that I was missing any of the action which was comprehensively described. If we had these two for every away match I would not listen to the opposition which I tend to do.
    The commentary at Boro was frustratingly awful, and I am afraid indulgent too. To make matters worse I had to listen to the Charlton Athletic player for the match because Middlesboro don't have it. I also listened to the clip from last week against Bristol City where Yanns fantastic first goal wasn't described at all as it happened, but what we got was a post goal description.

Problem here is rights issues. Think Terry and Pete would love to do it if allowed.

• Options
    Glovepup said:

seth plum said:

Problem here is rights issues. Think Terry and Pete would love to do it if allowed.

Quite, the rights issues. Hope the deal runs out very soon.
    I can only hope we don't bother to use BBC London and their pals again, because they don't deliver on the deal by describing what's occurring on the pitch.

• Options
    I would be happy for Pete to do it, but I gave up my subscription because of the dross on it for so long.

Let me know if things change chaps because I would be happy to pay up for decent commentary.
  • Options

I would like to thank Peter Finch and the other commentators for a great commentary from Cardiff yesterday for the Under 21 Play Off Final.
    Who needs the BBC when we have our own Finchy?
    Thank you chaps

Totally agree with this, Lancs.

I've paid for Player for a couple of seasons now and only tuned in to live games on 3 occasions...when I was unable to travel .

Yesterday's commentary was superb IMHO. Enabled me to picture in my head what was occuring on the pitch & coupled with some humour which only Addicks would understand , made for a thoroughly enjoyable afternoon .

Well done, guys.

• Options
    TBH, I haven't re-newed my subscription because of the "non" commentary by the majority of the commentators. Am wondering if its possible to have a "day-pass" (say £2) for the service, then, as on Saturday, I could listen to Tel & Peter ?
  • Options
    mog...even with the chite Charlton commentary player is worth the money overall, if only for the match highlights and interviews. However Jamie Reed and some other commentators are simply taking the mick, and see us listeners as plebs that they deign to do a favour to by half reporting what might or might not be happening.