Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CAFC Player - poor quality of commentary?

Comments

• Options
    Thanks for the comments, thoroughly enjoyed ourselves, even if I did go a little mad when the 3rd goal went in... Great bunch of young players coming through, the future is bright.
  • Options
    Just to add my support for PeteF - to be fair the quality of commentary improved over the course of the season, it was only the last day when Jamie Read popped up again after a long absence - I switched to the Bristol feed for that. Emma isnt too bad these days, she sticks to the game but her voice does grate (especially at 8am in the morning when I'm tuning in). Other than that I like Jamie Hill, he's excellent and sticks to the action on the pitch.
  • Options
    Thanks Oakster
  • Options
    Cheers pete and co.
  • Options
    Sorry to have to bring this up so soon into the season, but absolutely shocking first half commentary for the Oxford game :(

Emma doesnt need much encouragement to talk absolute crap, Finchy should know better than to encourage the woman
  • Options
    Oakster said:

Sorry to have to bring this up so soon into the season, but absolutely shocking first half commentary for the Oxford game :(

Emma doesnt need much encouragement to talk absolute crap, Finchy should know better than to encourage the woman

Yes a bit of a come down from Saturday. Unfortunately we won't often be afforded the luxury of being BBC London's main game.
  • Options
    Really sorry, will look to improve at the weekend.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Pete

I had to turn it off and wait for updates on here, sometimes you guys never painted any picture of what was happen on the pitch for really long lengths of time,

you know more about our club than most to give the facts and nuggets that should make the commentary flow and have no gaps

but last night a 45 mins half proberly had 10 mins of actual match commentary
  • Options
    Cheers NLA, both if us spoke after the game and felt we had wandered too much, thanks for the feedback, will be better at the weekend, always happy to react to constructive critics.
  • Options
    Oakster said:

Emma isnt too bad these days, she sticks to the game.

Oakster said:

Been a terrible start to the season for the lass, after encouraging signs towards the end last term.
    :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    no probs mate when its good its really good, I think the problem stems from Charlton very rarely in the first 10 mins setting off at a pace, and by then it is hard to recover tell powelly you need some assistance with a couple of fast starts that will help

8)
  • Options
    Ha ha NLA, I am sure the gaffer wants every game to be a good 4-0, not sure they will.
  • Options
    don't we all mate
  • Options
    Sorry to sound like a broken record - but Emma was absolutely dire today yet again.

Wondering how many people listen to commentary on CAFC player these days? Can only be a handful of us left given the crap we have had to put up with over the years - I know it's better than nothing, but I resent paying hard earned money to listen to her. We occasionally get some good away commentators, normally for up north games but the service we get at The Valley in the form of her & Jamie Read is shocking.

What made it annoying today is that you can usually rely on the opposition commentary to be 100% better - but the commentary from Radio Sheffield today, while actually a proper commentary, was over the top biased.
  • Options
    Listened to the away commentary anyway, its the only way you can find out whats actually happening on the pitch.
  • Options
    I listened to the Sheff Wed commentary also. As soon as I heard the voice of that screeching woman , there was no other choice.
  • Options
    I was at the game so can't comment on Emma today.
    The core problem seems to me that commentators don't bother, or don't want to consider the role of a commentator.
    CAFC promotes Player as a way of following matches ball by ball, the implication is that the commentators are functionaries who are there to inform the (blind) listener.
    However those behind the mic seem to take umbrage that they should be doing a job first and foremost, they whinge that their personality and character is to be marginalised, and insist that the listener really wants 'colour', and 'background' and 'entertainment', and that they know best because they are the 'professionals'. Commentators want to be seen as 'characters' so they can eventually occupy the place of Henry Bloefeld or chuffin' Alan Green!!!
    95% of the time the away commentary is much better than the Charlton one, because they keep up with what is going on.
    This has been done to death actually, I have had an email exchange with Jamie Reid where he has expressed disappointment at my disappointment, but insists his (and Emma's) is the right way. Peter is often fighting a losing battle when he is a co-commentator, and out of (presumably) politeness he goes along with the distractions, and indulges the 'professionals'.
    When Peter and the other bloke did the Commentary of the U21 final at Cardiff at the end of last season, and it was in house, it was so much better.
  • Options
    Emma today was really bad. From a radio commentary you should expect to have a play by play commentary so you can follow the game. Instead we had too much waffle about anything but the actual game itself. God help us if Jamie Reid and Emma think their way is the right way. BBC pomposity I think.
  • Options
    I am currently an exiled overseas and depend on Player for match coverage in combination with the match thread and superb work of Red Mid.

I was forced to switch off at half time yesterday unable to tolerate the pointless prattling of that woman gassing on about hailstones, Crawley Town's away record, Yann's laundry bill and even cold coffee, all while the match is in progress.

The worse moments are when you can hear the crowed roaring in the background at (presumably) an incident or an official's decision while she still continues her puerile monologue about favourite flavour of crisps or brands of washing powder completely uninterrupted.

Maybe she be is part of the BBC conspiracy to eliminate sport from its charter obligations. In that case she is doing a great job.
  • Options
    I have not renewed mine since September, after having it for around 5 years. 99% of the time the commentary is simply not good enough. Like grumpy i use RedMid's match thread now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    i'll say it again ~ we should set up some kind of feedback mechanism for player. week by week feedback

that way emma, jamie, pete or whoever will know what we like/dont like

this feedback could maybe be done via the bbc...

buuut... given pete's appearance here with us, why not set something up directly with him

what do you think, pete?

some kind of standard form we fill in with marks out of ten in a handful of categories and a box for more detailed comments.

• Options
    I haven't been on Player in months. It's so bad I can't be bothered to waste my time and I'm not renewing my membership. I just follow the match thread now, at least it focuses on the game (and people moaning about SISS)
  • Options
    We have been talking about this for ages and nothing seems to have changed. My conclusion is that they really couldn't care less. For those commentators supplied by local radio, as long as they get paid they will continue to serve up any old rubbish. It is a clear example where a handful of people can effect the experience of many and that kind of power is intoxicating, and they do whatever they darn well please.
    Giving feedback is unlikely to change much as their actions demonstrate that they regard us as plebs because they can handle the technology and we can't, and they know best as 'professionals'!
  • Options
    I had it before and didn't renew because it was so bad. I know you can listen to all teams commentaries but why should I pay to listen to another teams usually biased commentators? I'm currently travelling around Asia and would happily pay for player IF the commentaries, Emma in particular, weren't so bloody awful.
  • Options
    Canceled mine a long time ago, voting with your feet I think they call it. Much better following a match thread here.. maybe we should pay RM a subscription fee ?
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Had Player as a Xmas present last year for 6 months never bothered to renew when it ran off because I can usually get the same match commentary on BBC Radio Kent 774 MW. The good thing is I don't have to pay to listen to Emma prattling on about anything but the match action. Unfortunately Seth is right as far as the BBC commentators are concerned, put up or shut up :-(
  • Options
    On the plus side, its getting me to watch more games, as I really can't stand being at home and listening to crap commentary.
  • Options
    The commentary is so bad that I find myself doing any number of other things on-line whilst listening to the game.
  • Options
    The trick with audio commentary is not to forget that your audience cannot see what is happening. The problem with chatting when nothing is happening is that the listener does not know nothing is happening. If there is a delay in play, the commentator should make this clear before the chat and then end it with play has resumed. Then there are incidents when a quick attack is described without give a sense who is doing the attacking. So you know there is a corner but not who too! All in all very hard and Pete does a good supporting job from the commentaries I listen to on player which do vary in quality.
  • Options
    I dont know if they are payed but it would be nice if they started a few minutes before the game and finished a couple of minutes after. I actually think that the commentary is fine although the delay does really annoy me and sometimes they do go on about nothing in the less exiting moments of the game but in general they are ok. If something does happen in the less exiting moments of the game and they get into a chat then they should interrupt each other and tell us what is going on like they do on BBC 5live.

I do however get very annoyed by the very short highlights player provides us with, they should always be at least 4 minutes preferably longer but are often under 2. We haven't had any extended highlights for ages either. Thats what really gets to me.