Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Glastonbury....

Comments

• Options
    Aggg glue what a tune
    Apricots, that breakbeat!
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Kendrick Lamar, don't really get it but can see lots do so I guess I'm the one missing out. To me it's poetry over a backing track.

Give me actual musicians and a melody any day. 
    Isn’t every song just poetry over a backing track?

I don’t know the songs and can’t understand the lyrics. Subtitles are couple of lines behind so makes it even worse. Gonna turn over to Pet Shop Boys 
    Rapping is so much more complex than poetry,  the breath control. Delivery, timing, cadence, pitch control. The thing with Kendrick you have to listen to his albums as every one tells and paints a story, the guy won a Pulitzer prize because he is that good at doing it
    My Nan would have got a Pulitzer, listening to the expletives in his music, she would have been having to control her breathing with shock!!😂
    If I had the upbringing he had in one of the harshest areas of Los Angeles, I'd be swearing like a trooper as well. That's hip hop it's unfiltered and some rappers do come and go, but those with substance stick around. I always tell people who poo poo rap or the content of rap to listen to the greatest album in the genres history, Nas Illmatic album, released in 1994. 
    Please don’t take my comments so seriously, I don’t dislike all rap,I don’t like Kendrick for sure. I don’t really need to be educated on it, I thought John Barnes was great!!👍
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Whether it’s Kendrick or Jay-Z or Kanye West or any other big hip-hop name, if someone doesn’t like it there always seems to be that snooty reaction of “well, you’re just not intelligent enough to get it” all over social media.

I’ve tried listening to Kendrick and I think it’s shite. Just my opinion, and it isn’t a right or wrong one. One’s music tastes doesn’t make anyone less or more intelligent. 
  • Options
    Just turned over and caught some of the PSBs. No way was he singing live at first, five or six songs ago, but he has been the last few songs. The difference was so noticeable.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    I don't know about that. Yungblud was packed out with the younger generation, and that was definitely rock/indie.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
  • Options
    As much as Kendrick’s delivery was great, like most US Rap, since Public Enemy I never really related to it. Don’t dislike it though.
    Prefer a bit of Stormzy and Dizzee etc, something a bit more local.
  • Options
    No. No debate at all. Closed down. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2022
  • Options
    Anyway best setlists this weekend in my opinion:

Foals
    Olivia Rodrigo
    Kendrick Lamar
    Idles
    Crowded House
    Second half of Paul McCartney

• Options
    I don't know about that. Yungblud was packed out with the younger generation, and that was definitely rock/indie.
    On the 4th stage in front of a few thousand people. 

I'm not saying no-one listens to rock music (look at Liam Gallagher's crowd for instance), but Stormzy, Dave, Drake, Kendrick are the superstars. There isn't a band from past 2010 at that level. 
    Why is it a competition, if people don’t like a particular genre of music that’s fine. There are people that don’t like all hip pop. 
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Fair enough if you don't like it, I don't love Kendrick myself (I like a handful of songs) but think he's a great artist. What's weirding me out a bit is that I'm sensing a few people are just itching to absolutely slate him and the genre. Why have you watched it if you don't like it?

As for what genre is more impressive, doesn't matter, does it? Music isn't about how it's made. Look at punk, it's strumming two-note power chords, it's still brilliant.

Live, love, laugh, be happy...
  • Options
    edited June 2022
  • Options
    The commentary of the acts of this year’s Glastonbury just echo the polarisation of society today.
    Peoplw have always like and disliked certain music but social media and Brexit have turned everything into a keyboard war where everyone thinks their views are correct.
    I may nick of few of Kendrick’s words to describe many on social media these days.

• Options
    edited June 2022
    Anyway best setlists this weekend in my opinion:

Foals
    Olivia Rodrigo
    Kendrick Lamar
    Idles
    Crowded House
    Second half of Paul McCartney

.anyway, talk about the music. 
  • Options
    Understood SELR But there were posts earlier and on Twitter saying… I guess  the usual comments will be out. So it makes it difficult to say you don’t like him.

I had a heated discussion with one of my oldest friends last night when she said the Beatles were shit and that Hey Jude was one of the most overrated songs ever. But we can row sensibly about it because we are not going to get accused of not liking them due to their race. If that makes sense? I can just call her an idiot and not worry. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No need to delete.. unless you got modded! 
  • Options
    I like rap and hip-hop as a whole but I don't much like Lemar to be honest.

On another note, watched an act last night whose music I quite liked but didn't get their name, or maybe it was just the front man who had the name, the guy crowd surfed so if that helps I'd be grateful of a name. Not much to go on I know but I only caught a minute or so of it as I turned over.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:
    No need to delete.. unless you got modded! 
    Just don't want to side track things. It ain't that big of a deal really 
  • Options
    Bloody hell there's been a bloodbath in here tonight.
  • Options
    edited June 2022

On another note, watched an act last night whose music I quite liked but didn't get their name, or maybe it was just the front man who had the name, the guy crowd surfed so if that helps I'd be grateful of a name. Not much to go on I know but I only caught a minute or so of it as I turned over.
    Was it Idles?
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=idles+glastonbury+2022&hl=en-GB&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1366&bih=625&ei=Ge24YpeQN4SQ8gKuhK-IDQ&iflsig=AJiK0e8AAAAAYrj7KW_1OkZMmfdh7zJ54bkAgyUSXY3P&oq=Idles&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQARgBMgsIABCABBCxAxCDATIECAAQAzILCAAQgAQQsQMQgwEyCwgAEIAEELEDEIMBMgsIABCABBCxAxCDATIFCAAQgAQyBQgAEIAEMgUIABCABDIFCAAQgAQyBQgAEIAEOggIABCABBCxAzoICAAQsQMQgwFQAFi3DGD5JWgAcAB4AIABXYgBlgOSAQE1mAEAoAEBqgELZ3dzLXdpei1pbWc&sclient=img
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    My favourites were -
    Paul Heaton & Jacqui Abbott
    Olivia Rodrigo
    The Vaccines
    Jamie T

The full line ups are here so you can see who you missed & watch on iplayer (hopefully).
    I didn't know The Libertines and The Undertones played, plus a dozen other acts I like but didn't see.

https://inews.co.uk/culture/music/glastonbury-line-up-2022-festival-headliners-full-list-set-times-who-performing-today-1703237
  • Options
    Curb_It said:
    Understood SELR But there were posts earlier and on Twitter saying… I guess  the usual comments will be out. So it makes it difficult to say you don’t like him.

I had a heated discussion with one of my oldest friends last night when she said the Beatles were shit and that Hey Jude was one of the most overrated songs ever. But we can row sensibly about it because we are not going to get accused of not liking them due to their race. If that makes sense? I can just call her an idiot and not worry. 
    I like your friend !!
  • Options

Was it Idles?
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=idles+glastonbury+2022&hl=en-GB&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1366&bih=625&ei=Ge24YpeQN4SQ8gKuhK-IDQ&iflsig=AJiK0e8AAAAAYrj7KW_1OkZMmfdh7zJ54bkAgyUSXY3P&oq=Idles&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQARgBMgsIABCABBCxAxCDATIECAAQAzILCAAQgAQQsQMQgwEyCwgAEIAEELEDEIMBMgsIABCABBCxAxCDATIFCAAQgAQyBQgAEIAEMgUIABCABDIFCAAQgAQyBQgAEIAEOggIABCABBCxAzoICAAQsQMQgwFQAFi3DGD5JWgAcAB4AIABXYgBlgOSAQE1mAEAoAEBqgELZ3dzLXdpei1pbWc&sclient=img
    Sorry, no it wasnt.
  • Options

Last night could've been Jamie T or Yungblud. 
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm not a Yungblud fan, but he may well have dived in.