Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Glastonbury....

Comments

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    cafctom said:
    The Thing is. Axle Rose was ripping his vocal chords to shreds in his twenties to get this band where they are now.
    If it wasn't for his early endeavours they would never have been had been as big as they are now.
    Give the fella a break.
    That and the fact he still sprints around like a madman as if he were 30 years younger. 

More effort to entertain than whatever nonsense  Alex Turner put on last night. 
    Not a fan, but as I said during the Arctic Monkeys gig last night, that I fully expected G&R to sound shite but to actually put on a show for the crowd and I think they did. 
    Axel sounded shite, the rest of them were very good 
  • Options
    how did slash's hat stay on when he was upsidedown?
  • Options
    Seeing them at Hyde park next week, should be a cracker 
  • Options
    With those kind of bands, sometimes the crowd makes the gig rather than the oldies on the stage. Would've been better live. 
  • Options
    Hope Axl doesn't read the reviews this morning  :)

Mark Beaumont of the Independent

Rose makes the whole thing sound like a Muppet Show pastiche of hard rock. It’s his voice: a creature that, were you to take it to a vet, would come home in a cardboard box. Mumbling vague approximations of English words as if chronically constipated (if you’ve hit the goat curry hard enough, you’ll feel his intestinal pain), he flips between a lower register that resembles a clogged lawnmower and a higher one that sounds like Barry Gibb suffering the mother of all wedgies.

Neil McCormick of the Telegraph

The real problem, though, is his voice. He used to have a shrieking Banshee power but it has become kind of lumpy, with a toneless feminine falsetto and a honking low range, and he switches between these too modes with little apparent logic.

Both reviews are less than flattering although tbf you can't knock Slash for his virtuoso playing. 

• Options
    It isn’t really my music and Axl’s vocals were painful to listen to, but I still enjoyed watching Slash, quite clearly a master at his art. 
  • Options
    edited June 2023

• Options
    Not watched a great deal so far but from what I’ve seen and read, it seems like Elton has a job to do to get this year’s Glasto into the “classic” category. All seems to have been a bit “meh” compared to recent years. 
  • Options
    A quick trawl of the internet and I’ve seen for Axl:

Ian Beale
    Mick Hucknall
    Freddie Starr
    Eddie Izzard
    Elton John
    Jim Davidson
    Ronald Koeman
    Benny Hill
    Harry Redknapp 
    Mrs Doubtfire
    Keith Lemon
    Robin Askwith
    Andrew Lloyd Webber
    Audrey from Corrie
    To be honest, 61 year old looks like a 61 year old really doesn't bother me.

Booking them as a headliner when his voice has gone is the issue.
    Spot on. All these people saying "well the rest of them were good" doesn't really cut it. He's the front man and probably the most important part of that band, his voice was what made them stand out from just another rock band. Slash and Duff are clearly masters of what they do but them playing by themselves does not make a great show.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    colthe3rd said:

Ian Beale
    Mick Hucknall
    Freddie Starr
    Eddie Izzard
    Elton John
    Jim Davidson
    Ronald Koeman
    Benny Hill
    Harry Redknapp 
    Mrs Doubtfire
    Keith Lemon
    Robin Askwith
    Andrew Lloyd Webber
    Audrey from Corrie

Spot on. All these people saying "well the rest of them were good" doesn't really cut it. He's the front man and probably the most important part of that band, his voice was what made them stand out from just another rock band. Slash and Duff are clearly masters of what they do but them playing by themselves does not make a great show.
    I reckon Slash on his own would be an amazing show!
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    colthe3rd said:

Ian Beale
    Mick Hucknall
    Freddie Starr
    Eddie Izzard
    Elton John
    Jim Davidson
    Ronald Koeman
    Benny Hill
    Harry Redknapp 
    Mrs Doubtfire
    Keith Lemon
    Robin Askwith
    Andrew Lloyd Webber
    Audrey from Corrie

I reckon Slash on his own would be an amazing show!
    Maybe it would but then you wouldn't have Axl making it sound like someone trying to sing with a kazoo in their mouth.
  • Options
    Well his voice wasn’t the best but I still enjoyed it, probably for more nostalgic reasons. The crowd looked like they were too. 

Poor Lewis Capaldi, he looks to be in a bad way. He needs more rest time.

• Options
    Ended up watching a Bee Gees concert last night on Sky Arts (Las Vegas 1997)...quality.
  • Options
    Not watched a great deal so far but from what I’ve seen and read, it seems like Elton has a job to do to get this year’s Glasto into the “classic” category. All seems to have been a bit “meh” compared to recent years.     AGREE 100%....Elton will sort it out hopefully.
  • Options
    I expect/hope those there had a great time but I turned over after Welcome The Jungle. I'd happily have pressed a red button option to remove Axl's singing which was taking away from the music for me.

Oh well, still looking forward to Elton though.
  • Options
    I remember a few years ago Emily Eavis being asked why the Red Hot Chilli Peppers had not played Glastonbury and she said something along the lines of them not being the sort of band they have playing there. Since then we've had GnR, the Foos and countless other heavy rock acts, for christ sake they even had Lost Prophets.

Most likely the real reason was they asked and the Chilli Peppers refused to play for the notoriously shit money they offered at the time.
  • Options
    Eddickted said:
    Don’t post often
    Elton is shot, itl be a sad scene 
  • Options
    Fred again was excellent 
  • Options
    buckshee said:
    I remember a few years ago Emily Eavis being asked why the Red Hot Chilli Peppers had not played Glastonbury and she said something along the lines of them not being the sort of band they have playing there. Since then we've had GnR, the Foos and countless other heavy rock acts, for christ sake they even had Lost Prophets.

Most likely the real reason was they asked and the Chilli Peppers refused to play for the notoriously shit money they offered at the time.
    Alternatively, Eavis was being polite and not saying that the reason RHCP were not playing was that they were a bunch of money grabbers 🤷🏻‍♂️
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    buckshee said:

Not to mention when Metallica tore Glastonbury a new one when they headlined in 2014.
  • Options
    buckshee said:

It is a charity gig. The vast majority of money raised goes to Glastonbury’s preferred charities each year. There is a cap fee in each tier of act and if you are a money grabbing artist with an uncharitable nature, you are unlikely to ever play there… Next year will be great, some mahoosive   names (you can start a rumours thread but can’t share what I have already been told) and all those could live with the highest tier but low compared to usual fees. 
  • Options
    Just watching the GnR set - Axel is a spent force although not as bad as others have said. Slash is still a outrageously good guitarist.

As to a lookalike - definitely Ian Beale with a smattering of Robert Palmer!
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Just watching the GnR set - Axel is a spent force although not as bad as others have said. Slash is still a outrageously good guitarist.

As to a lookalike - definitely Ian Beale with a smattering of Robert Palmer!
    Slash clearly talented but I find that guitar willy waving unbearably boring to listen to.
  • Options
    Elton John’s voice is probably shot.
    Not my musical preference either, but he is undoubtedly one of those musical geniuses we have been lucky to experience.
    His catalogue is so impressive he will be a huge success voice or no voice.
    One of his songs I like, or am reminded of because of the times we currently live in, is #Nikita#.
  • Options
    Taylor Swift next year surely, Mrs will be all over that. 
  • Options
    Saw Elton John at the O2 recently and was surprised how good his voice still is.

Physically he struggles a bit, after the recent accident he had - but no complaints on his sound at all. 
  • Options
    Just catching up on a few bits. Sparks with Cate Blanchett is brilliantly bonkers 😍😂
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Saw Elton John at the O2 recently and was surprised how good his voice still is.

Physically he struggles a bit, after the recent accident he had - but no complaints on his sound at all. 
    Totally ageee.

The O2 show I saw recently was one of the most enjoyable gigs I've seen, and I'm not a massive fan- probably haven't heard even a quarter of his back catalogue. But the set list, sound, band, stageshow and even his voice was surprisingly good.

Think he'll piss all over the other two headliners tbh.