Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Glastonbury....

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2023
    stop_shouting said:

loved Axl last nite D despite the haters. checked out his wiki page. Had a bloody tough start in life.
    It writes itself. 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:
    Cat Stevens on the Pyramid Stage now - wonderful.
    I wonder if the people that think cat stevens is wonderful, know that he supported a fatwa against salmon Rushdie. Not many I’m guessing.
    "I never called for the death of Salman Rushdie; nor backed the Fatwa issued by the Ayatollah Khomeini—and still don’t. The book itself destroyed the harmony between peoples and created an unnecessary international crisis. When asked about my opinion regarding blasphemy, I could not tell a lie and confirmed that – like both the Torah and the Gospel – the Qur'an considers it, without repentance, as a capital offense. The Bible is full of similar harsh laws if you're looking for them. However, the application of such Biblical and Qur'anic injunctions is not to be outside of due process of law, in a place or land where such law is accepted and applied by the society as a whole."

Supports that it was taken out of context a fair bit, although I'll confess to not seeing at the time etc so can't be sure.
    He should have become a politician.

and maybe you should become someone who checks facts.
    Pretty sure Rushdie asked him for an apology for the comments he’s made Sheriff. 
    How about you walk over to the politics section and let the rest of us enjoy the music. 

You can start a nostalgia thread for things you don't like from the year 1990. Throw in the Guns n Roses song One in a Million if you want, you'll notice no one mentioned it yesterday. 
    Err, because they didn't play it yesterday?

Quite what that's got to do with anything ot why you're bringing that up is quite bizarre, to say the least.

Last time I looked @stop_shouting wasn't Axl Rose
    And did Cat Stevens mention Salmon Rushdie today? 
    Oh, I see. 

"Whataboutery". Carry on then.

What about Brexit? Neither Cat Stevens or Axl Rose have condemned that have they, the slags?!
  • Options
    stop_shouting said:

loved Axl last nite D despite the haters. checked out his wiki page. Had a bloody tough start in life.
    It writes itself. 
    Pardon?
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:
    I wonder if the people that think cat stevens is wonderful, know that he supported a fatwa against salmon Rushdie. Not many I’m guessing.
    "I never called for the death of Salman Rushdie; nor backed the Fatwa issued by the Ayatollah Khomeini—and still don’t. The book itself destroyed the harmony between peoples and created an unnecessary international crisis. When asked about my opinion regarding blasphemy, I could not tell a lie and confirmed that – like both the Torah and the Gospel – the Qur'an considers it, without repentance, as a capital offense. The Bible is full of similar harsh laws if you're looking for them. However, the application of such Biblical and Qur'anic injunctions is not to be outside of due process of law, in a place or land where such law is accepted and applied by the society as a whole."

Supports that it was taken out of context a fair bit, although I'll confess to not seeing at the time etc so can't be sure.

Pretty sure Rushdie asked him for an apology for the comments he’s made Sheriff. 
    How about you walk over to the politics section and let the rest of us enjoy the music. 

You can start a nostalgia thread for things you don't like from the year 1990. Throw in the Guns n Roses song One in a Million if you want, you'll notice no one mentioned it yesterday. 

Quite what that's got to do with anything ot why you're bringing that up is quite bizarre, to say the least.

Oh, I see. 

What about Brexit? Neither Cat Stevens or Axl Rose have condemned that have they, the slags?!
    The point is, that you clearly missed. 

Yesterday everyone was talking about the music. One person spoils it today as per usual. 

Anyway, Lil Nas X isn't to everyone's taste but has a big crowd on main stage. 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:

Oh, I see. 

Yesterday everyone was talking about the music. One person spoils it today as per usual. 

Spoilt it? Why you crying about one comment you don’t like? I thought it was relevant having seen the hero worship the blokes been getting on socials today. Who made you the arbiter of what we can say on ere? 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:

Oh, I see. 

So you resorted to "Whataboutery". 

Which is the point you have clearly missed. 
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    As someone who’s never been, I’m just trying to get an idea of the ginormousness of the whole thing. Silly question, with all the stages operating at the same time, does the sound of one ever interrupt another?   Is it as loud as an indoor or major stadium gig where there are no other stages to worry about. Or are the distances just so vast that the sound doesn’t carry. Or is everyone so far out of it that they don’t give a hoot?
    It’s huge. It’s so hard to appreciate the scale. The sounds never overlap. Due to sheer distance and direction they face (the pyramid and other stage are back to back with the backstage vip area between them.) Between each stage are paths/walkways with food/bars/shops/stalls/toilets who all blast out their own sounds too. So you could literally hear 8 or so different songs moving from one stage to the other. 
  • Options
    Candi Staton belting out elvis on west holts. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Big blondie fan in my teens but I thought tonight's performance was completely flat
  • Options
    83 years old - hats off to her
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    Proper lacklustre Sundaynight fodder.  

83 though. You can’t knock that I suppose 
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    Big blondie fan in my teens but I thought tonight's performance was completely flat
    She stank out IOW last week according to some who went. 
  • Options
    Candi Station on bbc2, switch to bbc1 and it's the antiques roadshow followed by Elton John. Could all be the same programme.
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    Blimey. I knew she’d be getting on and when she was sitting down I thought she must be struggling but she just started jumping around.  Amazing. 
  • Options
    Didn’t know Ray Cooper was still playing with Elton John 
  • Options
    That crowd is maaaaaasive. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    rina said:
    As someone who’s never been, I’m just trying to get an idea of the ginormousness of the whole thing. Silly question, with all the stages operating at the same time, does the sound of one ever interrupt another?   Is it as loud as an indoor or major stadium gig where there are no other stages to worry about. Or are the distances just so vast that the sound doesn’t carry. Or is everyone so far out of it that they don’t give a hoot?
    to give you an idea of the size here is the site laid over Charlton https://gsp8181.co.uk/glasto/index.php?location=charlton

it is just vast
    Wow. Cheers.  That is big. I just used the overlay tool to superimpose Glasto in the Isle of Wight festival site. The latter goes into Glasto about 12 times!!
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    That crowd is maaaaaasive. 
    Yeah … and not all Sheffield Wednesday fans, either 
  • Options
    Interesting he just said this may be his last ever UK show. 
  • Options
    76 years old and he is owning it - fair play. Wouldn’t say I am an Elton John super fan or anything but me and the missus already expect to know every single song.
  • Options
    Great start by Elton, he sounds excellent.
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    It’s taken till tonight for me to realise her name isn’t “Stanton” with an “n” in the middle. Fair play to her at 83 although the voice is clearly showing it’s age. 
  • Options
    Suspect there may be the odd massive charity gig or some such but he’s done touring. 
  • Options
    Suspect there may be the odd massive charity gig or some such but he’s done touring. 
    The odd royal job although you’d think there won’t be any for a little while after the recent flurry. 

Beckham knighthood party?
  • Options
    I'd imagine he'll pop up at other's gigs or (as I've just seen Sillybilly has said) maybe the odd charity gig, national celebration concert etc.

Just won't tour or organise his own big stadium stuff.