Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Things that make you feel old

Comments

• Options
    limeygent said:
    It's been fifty years since the end of the Vietnam war.
    One of those times when you look back and realise you were lucky enough to have been young at a time when we had a left wing government that had fought through wars themselves and the country was basically bankrupt.
  • Options
    Needs some work but there's a song in there somewhere   :)

Stig said:

Woke up this morning feeling fine, 
    I've got birdwatching on my mind.
    So I got dressed: green t-shirt, green knee-length shorts and a wide-brim hat
    Oh yeah
    that could pass for an Australian bush hat. 

"Ooh, look at you" proclaimed Mrs Stig,

... er
    "You look like, um, um... [complete memory loss]...um... that dead bloke".

For the record, 'that dead bloke' turned out to be Steve Irwin.

• Options

Stig said:

Oh yeah

... er

I thought it was a new verse for I’m  into Something Good by Herman’s Hermits 
  • Options

Stig said:

Oh yeah

... er

Tie me kangaroo down sport
  • Options
    Remembering the number of summer transfer rumour threads you've seen
  • Options
    My Knees
  • Options
    When you think ‘we can do with some rain’. I went a good 40 odd years never wanting rain 
    Didn’t follow the England cricket team until in your 40’s?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I've never really understood what modern DJs do - is DJ even the right expression?  My confusion started way back when 'scratching' took off  ... makes no sense, why would you scratch records?

Now it seems 'samples' are used, but are these pre-recorded for live performances, are they essentially playing along to a tape?  What is going on with all the knob twiddling?  My son who is quite up on his music, recently sat next to a bloke on a flight who was receiving a lot of attention - and even he didn't know who he was - what chance have I got? 

... Turns out the bloke on the plane was destined for Glastonbury - seems quite popular - 50,000 people can't be wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_64XAqYgJ0
  • Options
    TimAddick said:
    T_C_E said:
    Hal1x said:
    I went passed an old girlfriends house today. She was about 12 years older than me, which would put her in her 70's now. That made me feel very very old
    Tempted to pop in?
    Was @DaveMehmet car parked outside? 😉
    The gross misuse by the younger generation (and sadly some of the older generation too) of the words "so", "like" and "super".  How do you feel about this weekend's game mate?  "So, I am like, super-excited to go like to the Valley like to watch the lads.  It'll be super fab and 'I'll be super super super annoying by talking shite very loudly and like massacring like the English  language.  Aaaaaaargh!!!!
    2 of my daughters say to me, saw a super movie, you should see hit. Then I think that I say that I saw a great movie. Maybe Super has replaced great. 
    That’s fine. No problem there. It’s the use of super as an adjective that’s the killer. Super happy. Super excited. Super annoying. Super cool etc.  they’ve even started the double barrel ones now.  Super super excited. Waaaaah!!!!
    It's actually an adverb in your examples.

This post was sponsored by Super Grammar Nazis.com
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Knowing that the music I tend to listen to was released 30-40 years ago:(

Although that’s not to say the music isn’t relevant today, good music is always good music regardless of age.
  • Options
    Realising that it’s too dangerous for me to try a flyboard. 
  • Options
    Saying I'll have a pint of beer please. Can I have a pint please. It seems that anyone under 50-40 says, can I get! Really does my head in. Makes me realise I'm just an old fart
  • Options
    I found a programme from Charlton vs Everton 2002-2003 season. A young wonderkid called Wayne Rooney was playing for the Toffees
  • Options
    Knowing that the music I tend to listen to was released 30-40 years ago:(

Although that’s not to say the music isn’t relevant today, good music is always good music regardless of age.
    A friend of mine is putting together a playlist of 'pop' songs and asked various friends to contribute their personal top tens. The newest on on my list was 1984.
  • Options
    I've never really understood what modern DJs do - is DJ even the right expression?  My confusion started way back when 'scratching' took off  ... makes no sense, why would you scratch records?

Now it seems 'samples' are used, but are these pre-recorded for live performances, are they essentially playing along to a tape?  What is going on with all the knob twiddling?  My son who is quite up on his music, recently sat next to a bloke on a flight who was receiving a lot of attention - and even he didn't know who he was - what chance have I got? 

... Turns out the bloke on the plane was destined for Glastonbury - seems quite popular - 50,000 people can't be wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_64XAqYgJ0
    Mate of mine passed by a free "live" music "event" on Albufeira beach the other day. He said he looked up to see a man playing with his laptop on stage, so buggered off... 

On the other hand, an old school pal posted up some footage of Ministry of Sound live in Bedford park last weekend, and it was dancy-trancy shit but with a full orchestra. Actually quite impressive!    
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Taking my kids in the Lego shop yesterday and seeing a Return of the Jedi set with a badge on it saying it was the 40th anniversary of the film. Years for films and music are always ones to drive home how old you're getting!
  • Options
    My son is involved in chillfest this weekend, looking at the lineup blooming dates me, I can remember these acts when they were young guns.
  • Options
    Starting to have trouble getting to sleep even though it's mostly just on weekends. It's 3am now and I'm still wide awake...
  • Options
    Can’t find the Aussie you tube clip, but this made me laugh.

The doctor runs some tests and finds him to be healthy enough for sexual activity, and writes him the script. As the old man is leaving the doctor's office he asks if he can cut the pills into fourths. The doctor, a little confused, remarks "I don't think you'll be able to achieve an erection with just a fourth of a pill." The man looks back at the doctor and exclaims, "An erection?!? I just want to stop pissing on my shoes!"
  • Options
    Herself has started a new job as a centre manager for a community centre. They do kids and OAP stuff. I don’t work Fridays and have become the handyman doing odd jobs around the place. Anyway as she was saying goodbye to the little ones, one of them asks herself if she is taking her dad home with her.😡😡

Welcome to my world………. My favourite question
    ”Ray, when you die ……. Who’s bringing the dogs in” 🤷‍♂️