Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Euro 2020 Thread

Comments

• SamB09 said:
    If the players agreed to play then i don’t see what the problem is.
    Money and authorities told them.

It would have been equally difficult circumstances resuming tomorrow if the rules indeed say it must be played within 24hrs. 

It’s a logistical nightmare for everyone involved and no right answers in my opinion. 

Of course there are commercial pressures but above anything the pure constraints of a tournament  diary. 

Unforeseen and unexpected does not automatically equate to a ‘disgrace’. 

I imagine the Danish team collectively agreed. 

The positive is the immediacy of the medical support / teams involved. 
  • For a country the size and population of Russia they should be better at football. Least the USA have a few other so called sports that they are into. What has Russia have apart from ice hockey and professional vodka drinking? 
  • For a country the size and population of Russia they should be better at football. Least the USA have a few other so called sports that they are into. What has Russia have apart from ice hockey and professional vodka drinking? 
    Professional cheating…
    The old East Germany were great at cheating...
  • I’m sure they were, any Russian involvement?
  • thenewbie said:
    Lineker/BBC apologizing on Twitter for the coverage, pointing to out that it's host footage and out of their control but acknowledging it should not have been aired.
    Only thing I'll say about that is I cant understand why the BBC couldnt just go back to the studio

Its done now though so hope they both just learn from it
    Did viewers complaining turn off ? I doubt it. 

Too easy  to criticise when it’s happening real time and no one knows for sure how serious, precisely what is happening. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. 

I thought the commentary was respectful etc. and the pictures relatively at distance and not seeking to intrude. 
  • I hope the Danish captain gets some sort of recognition for the way he acted, to stop Eriksen swallowing his tongue and start CPR, get the others players to shield the crowd from having to witness what was happening, console Eriksen's wife on the touchline and to then lead his team back out to finish the game is nothing short of heroic.hoof_it_up_to_benty said:
    SamB09 said:

Today's conspiracy theory. I'm sure Eriksen would want the game finished.

Life has to go on.
    Total bollocks.
    Maybe try saying something constructive rather than just showing how angry you are?
  • Sponsored links:

• I’m sure they were, any Russian involvement?
    I imagine so....
  • edited June 2021
    I hope the Danish captain gets some sort of recognition for the way he acted, to stop Eriksen swallowing his tongue and start CPR, get the others players to shield the crowd from having to witness what was happening, console Eriksen's wife on the touchline and to then lead his team back out to finish the game is nothing short of heroic.hoof_it_up_to_benty said:
    SamB09 said:

Today's conspiracy theory. I'm sure Eriksen would want the game finished.

Life has to go on.
    Total bollocks.
    You've been drinking haven't you?
    You're embarrassing yourself.
  • What's everyone's thoughts on the multi nation venues?

In normal times would hate it as I love the uniqueness of a one country host and everyone descending there for a month but it's worked out fortunately given the pandemic as it could have been a complete washout if in one country on a red list.
  • You can tell Russia haven’t doped up their players this year. Utter shit.
    Prob had a tickle at half time
  • RC_CAFC said:
    Danish have just tweeted the game is going ahead tonight! I feel so sorry for all those players that have to go back out and play that game. They should all be sent home and told to be with their families.
    100%

All the PR bull**** cannot be believed.

All about money.
    And on and on and on he goes....
    If the fella had passed away, should the game have been resumed?
    He would of struggled to tell his teammates to play the game if he was dead. 

It was a player decision, not a UEFA one.
  • Great win Finland... Shame it'll be overshadowed
    Should never have been resumed.

It's all about money.
    All the crowd were still there, some having travelled from Finland.
    Eriksen was sitting up in bed and face timed the players asking them to continue the game.
    When would you have played the game? 
    NB Denmark or Finland are playing Wed 16th, Thurs 17th, Mon 21st and 2nd round starts on Sat 26th probably/possibly in a different country. 
    Players were in tears coming out to resume the game.
    They are human with emotions, all about money.
    They should not have played it today.

• No more on the Elf post / replies to Elf please, the debate has been had and it’s just going round in circles. Any further will be deleted tonight, Cheers. 
  • Not been able to watch a single bit of the tournament so far, but Lukaku seems such a better player these days than the Man U version
  • Sponsored links:

• You can tell Russia haven’t doped up their players this year. Utter shit.
    Think they've had a group doping as look a bit better this half
  • Taken from Daily Mirror:

The midfielder was taken from the field on a stretcher 15 minutes after collapsing before photos began to circulate on social media of him sitting up as he left the pitch.

It was eventually confirmed that Eriksen was stable and communicating in hospital and his teammates gave the go-ahead for the match with Finland to resume.

Christian Eriksen is taken from the field on a stretcher
    Christian Eriksen is taken from the field on a stretcher (Image: Pool via REUTERS)

A UEFA statement read: "Following the request made by players of both teams, UEFA has agreed to restart the match between Denmark and Finland tonight.

"The last four minutes of the first half will be played, there will then be a 5-minute half-time break followed by the second half.

"The match has been suspended due to a medical emergency which involved Denmark’s Christian Eriksen. The player in now in hospital and in a stable condition.

"UEFA wishes Christian Eriksen a full and speedy recovery and wishes to thank both teams for their exemplary attitude."

• thenewbie said:
    Not been able to watch a single bit of the tournament so far, but Lukaku seems such a better player these days than the Man U version
    28 goals in 66 games suggests that even at United it was probably not Lukaku who was the problem there.
    Think it was a bit of both - he's definitely in better shape and form, but United didn't have a decent team around him to play to his strengths.
  • edited June 2021
    Please explain how this is possibly a decision about money. 

UEFA don't sell rights to individual games, but to the tournament as a whole, presumably with plenty of get out clauses for individual games being disrupted (during a pandemic they'd have to be crazy not to). So no possible money motive from UEFA, they've already got their cash and are covered for a game being delayed.

So who else has a cash incentive. Danish FA maybe, through most tickets' Ts and Cs cover unexpected disruption. And even if they had to refund everybody in the ground, it would only be those unwilling/unable to attend the following day. All in all it would be a relatively sma amount of money at risk, and they almost certainly have insurance.

So if we take out UEFA, the Danish FA and the media (they have their contracts with UEFA they have no comeback on this), then who is a) losing a load of money if the game were delayed 24 hours and b) has the power necessary to force the players to play.

You can keep showing you "money over welfare" outrage, but nobody is going to buy it unless you you can tell us who's money and how they could have forced the game to resume.
  • thenewbie said:
    Not been able to watch a single bit of the tournament so far, but Lukaku seems such a better player these days than the Man U version
    28 goals in 66 games suggests that even at United it was probably not Lukaku who was the problem there.
    Think it was a bit of both - he's definitely in better shape and form, but United didn't have a decent team around him to play to his strengths.
    A bit like our Schwartz then!!👍😂
  • thenewbie said:
    Lineker/BBC apologizing on Twitter for the coverage, pointing to out that it's host footage and out of their control but acknowledging it should not have been aired.
    Only thing I'll say about that is I cant understand why the BBC couldnt just go back to the studio

Its done now though so hope they both just learn from it
    Did viewers complaining turn off ? I doubt it. 

Too easy  to criticise when it’s happening real time and no one knows for sure how serious, precisely what is happening. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. 

I thought the commentary was respectful etc. and the pictures relatively at distance and not seeking to intrude. 

There is a director in a gallery (a room with lots of TV and people in it). All the available camera angles are on show, and the director/ team are also telling the camera people what to point their cameras at. The director quite deliberately showed as emotional a scene as possible. He/ she cut between close-ups of people crying, shots of Eriksen as he was receiving the defib, and a distraught woman being comforted. 

It was immediately obvious something serious had happened with the very first close up of a prone Eriksen. As such, hindsight wasn’t required to perceive what was occurring. And as it happens, it’s pretty standard to cut to a wide shot in far less serious situations on a football pitch. I’m genuinely surprised that the director made those choices, and also that the BBC kept running the feed (presumably they figured it better then the shell-shocked studio). You say they were not intrusive, I believe they were as intrusive as possible short of sending the steadicam in for a close-up. 

The BBC had the choice to continue showing it or cut away. I suspect they could also have used a wide shot given that they have one feeding their  studio background. They stuck with it for the most part, cutting to studio just before he was carried away. 

I, like others on here, saw stuff I didn’t think should have been shot in that manner and, sincerely believing he had died, turned over. Seeing Eriksen’s legs shaking as CPR was administered was truly unsettling and I didn’t want to see any more. 

Since finding out he’s okay I’ve gone back to have a look at how the coverage panned out. As such I remain of the opinion that the close-up shots, particularly those over the shoulders or between the legs of the teammates attempting to shield Eriksen from prying eyes, were excessive. 

Many people would have continued watching because they wanted to be reassured the man was okay, as they looked for comfort or good news. This doesn’t make anybody a bad person (let alone ‘vile’). Turning over to The Only Way is Essex would’ve felt wrong, and turning the TV off to sit in silence wouldn’t have been very comforting either. 

All that said, I’m not personally emotional about this. I’m not upset by what they did, just observing how it went down, and I think the point you’ve made - as well as a couple of other posters on this thread - is incorrect. It was intrusive, it was deliberate, taking about the coverage on social isn’t vile - and hindsight is an irrelevant thing. 
  • thenewbie said:
    Yeah that's probably nearer the truth to be fair. Either way he's currently in the kind of form that would have me very worried if our defence was put in his way.
  • Belgium are very comfortable but I haven’t been overly impressed. Obviously KDB coming back will take them to another level.