Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Euro 2020 Thread

Comments

• Belgium are very comfortable but I haven’t been overly impressed. Obviously KDB coming back will take them to another level.

Will be interesting to see how we come out tomorrow in terms of tempo etc.
  • edited June 2021
    Belgium are very comfortable but I haven’t been overly impressed. Obviously KDB coming back will take them to another level.

Will be interesting to see how we come out tomorrow in terms of tempo etc.
    Id argue that England v Croatia is potentially going to be the tightest match-up of the competition so far... Although Croatia arent the same team from three years ago.

We dont usually start competitions quickly and reckon we'll see a similar game to the 1-1 draw against Russia from 2016, maybe the same result with England struggling to break down the opposition, only to concede a late equaliser 
  • The Russian national team is consistently underwhelming.
  • So 3 games in, Italy decent second half against a timid Turkey that didn't turn up, Denmark Finland can't really be assessed for obvious reasons and a decent but unspectacular Belgium v an absent Russia.

Portugal, Germany, Spain and France to play yet but will be interesting to see if we can mark our stall out tomorrow in a tough fixture.

• JiMMy 85 said:
    thenewbie said:
    Lineker/BBC apologizing on Twitter for the coverage, pointing to out that it's host footage and out of their control but acknowledging it should not have been aired.
    Only thing I'll say about that is I cant understand why the BBC couldnt just go back to the studio

Its done now though so hope they both just learn from it
    Did viewers complaining turn off ? I doubt it. 

Too easy  to criticise when it’s happening real time and no one knows for sure how serious, precisely what is happening. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. 

I thought the commentary was respectful etc. and the pictures relatively at distance and not seeking to intrude. 

There is a director in a gallery (a room with lots of TV and people in it). All the available camera angles are on show, and the director/ team are also telling the camera people what to point their cameras at. The director quite deliberately showed as emotional a scene as possible. He/ she cut between close-ups of people crying, shots of Eriksen as he was receiving the defib, and a distraught woman being comforted. 

It was immediately obvious something serious had happened with the very first close up of a prone Eriksen. As such, hindsight wasn’t required to perceive what was occurring. And as it happens, it’s pretty standard to cut to a wide shot in far less serious situations on a football pitch. I’m genuinely surprised that the director made those choices, and also that the BBC kept running the feed (presumably they figured it better then the shell-shocked studio). You say they were not intrusive, I believe they were as intrusive as possible short of sending the steadicam in for a close-up. 

The BBC had the choice to continue showing it or cut away. I suspect they could also have used a wide shot given that they have one feeding their  studio background. They stuck with it for the most part, cutting to studio just before he was carried away. 

I, like others on here, saw stuff I didn’t think should have been shot in that manner and, sincerely believing he had died, turned over. Seeing Eriksen’s legs shaking as CPR was administered was truly unsettling and I didn’t want to see any more. 

Since finding out he’s okay I’ve gone back to have a look at how the coverage panned out. As such I remain of the opinion that the close-up shots, particularly those over the shoulders or between the legs of the teammates attempting to shield Eriksen from prying eyes, were excessive. 

Many people would have continued watching because they wanted to be reassured the man was okay, as they looked for comfort or good news. This doesn’t make anybody a bad person (let alone ‘vile’). Turning over to The Only Way is Essex would’ve felt wrong, and turning the TV off to sit in silence wouldn’t have been very comforting either. 

All that said, I’m not personally emotional about this. I’m not upset by what they did, just observing how it went down, and I think the point you’ve made - as well as a couple of other posters on this thread - is incorrect. It was intrusive, it was deliberate, taking about the coverage on social isn’t vile - and hindsight is an irrelevant thing. 
    The commentary was respectful in my opinion. 

I personally didn’t perceive at the time it to be unduly intrusive and thought they did use wide shots  in the main. But some may see it differently clearly. 

My point really was that i think they tried to balance it appropriately but with hindsight might have done it differently. 

No director is going to want to get this wrong after all. 
  • WSS said:
    Denmark head coach Kasper Hjulmand: "We had two options to play the game [today] or tomorrow at 12pm and everyone agreed to play today. You can't play a game with such feelings. We tried to win. It was incredible they managed to go out and try to play the second half."

Has he not heard it was about money…
  • Lukaku setting the benchmark for Harry Kane
  • With Finland to play as well Lukaku could be on 5+ before the knockouts if he continues this form.
  • Sponsored links:

• Think Belgium’s defence will cost them in the latter stages
  • edited June 2021
    Lukaku. Absolutely world class.
  • 3-0 to the Belgiums
  • Lukaku. Absolutely world class.
    Strong, quick and lethal.
  • I think we can rule Russia out...
  • edited June 2021
    Russia have been massively underwhelming, a bit like Turkey were last night. Still hopeful Denmark can nick three points off them and qualify that way.
  • Russia have been massively underwhelming, a bit like Turkey were last night. Still hopeful Denmark can nick three points off them and qualify that way.
    To be fair I don't think anyone expected much else from Russia.
  • Russia have been massively underwhelming, a bit like Turkey were last night. Still hopeful Denmark can nick three points off them and qualify that way.
    To be fair I don't think anyone expected much else from Russia.
    I thought home advantage may have helped them be competitive but if anything, it looked like a massive hangover from hosting the WC. Perhaps a lot less doping..!
  • Think Belgium’s defence will cost them in the latter stages
    I think their attacking attributes might outweigh any defensive shortcomings.
  • Hard to judge Belgium against a very poor Russian side. Not as if the Russian keeper has been worked hard second half
  • Sponsored links:

Actually think Turkey were even worse, they reminded me of Charlton at their worst this season when we didn't seem to be able to run, tackle, pass or position themselves. Wonder if something is wrong in the dressing room.
  • I think the question about the Russia game is, just how good was their doping at the world cup?
  • Belgium didn't overly impress me against a poor Russia side, think Italy played better overall in their game and have set the benchmark so far
  • So 3 games in, Italy decent second half against a timid Turkey that didn't turn up, Denmark Finland can't really be assessed for obvious reasons and a decent but unspectacular Belgium v an absent Russia.

Portugal, Germany, Spain and France to play yet but will be interesting to see if we can mark our stall out tomorrow in a tough fixture.

A bit harsh on the Welsh to just forget about them... 😉

Are you Boris in disguise?
  • edited June 2021
    McBobbin said:
    Russia second best all over the pitch, making mistakes and giving the ball away
    Evidently, their flights and reservations for Siberia have already been booked with ebookers.
    Their flight tickets are open return!
  • edited June 2021
    For a country the size and population of Russia they should be better at football. Least the USA have a few other so called sports that they are into. What has Russia have apart from ice hockey and professional vodka drinking? 
    Professional cheating…
    The old East Germany were great at cheating...
    Were they ever!!!!