Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Euro 2020 Thread

Comments

• If I were the Wales manager I would start a very different starting lineup against Italy being already qualified I would risk my best starting 11 getting a mauling and sapping confidence from them before the knockouts
  • Wouldn't 
  • AndyG said:
    If I were the Wales manager I would start a very different starting lineup against Italy being already qualified I would risk my best starting 11 getting a mauling and sapping confidence from them before the knockouts
     In James they have a player that can give Italy problems.
  • Italy will probably rest a lot of players in that game.
  • The CB with the dyed yellow hair for Switzerland has just given up.
  • Unreal how he is just jogging back on that break lol
  • edited June 2021
    Don't get me wrong this Italy side deserve credit, but I think they've drawn the easiest group.
  • Italy are going to walk this tournament. Not even got out of second gear. 
    Their football is so fluid..
  • Sponsored links:

• I can’t believe how shocking Switzerland are. Italy have been good, don’t get me wrong, but away from Rome against a decent side I think they’ll definitely be beatable.
  • edited June 2021
    Italy are going to walk this tournament. Not even got out of second gear. 
    But they should be in the same half of the draw as France... Both cant walk the Tournament
    But they'll be in the same half of the draw as France... Both cant walk the Tournament
    Think they'll beat France. 
  • I remember when the Dutch beat Italy 4-1 and France 3-0 in their opening games of a Euros and got knocked out AET 3-1 by Russia. I’d be more than happy for England to go about their business quietly.
  • An attacking Italian side - look a real threat.
    But they'll be in the same half of the draw as France... Both cant walk the Tournament
    Think they'll beat France. 
    Part of me does think we'll see an England v Italy Final, the latter to win it
  • edited June 2021
    Italy are going to walk this tournament. Not even got out of second gear. 
    But they should be in the same half of the draw as France... Both cant walk the Tournament
    You could have Italy, France and Belgium all in the same side of the draw. (Group A, B, F winners in the top half)

Probably best hope we win our group and stay in the other half with the Netherlands and Spain! (Group C, D, E winners in the bottom half)
  • So 15 games in and not one side has done a "Golfie". In fact, only one side has actually secured a draw having gone behind. 10 teams have won to nil and both sides have scored in just 4 of them.

Just goes to show how hard it is in international football to come from behind and secure any sort of result. 
  • Italy - France could be a hell of a match if they both turn up. Though italy have a ridiculous ean sheet record it would be interesting to see how they cope with pace running at them. Considering the ages of their CB pair they may struggle 
  • Really enjoyed the last two games - plenty of attacking intent.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2021
    Intensity, speed, intent and total domination from Italy. They are major contenders.

Wales are effectively through and Rob Page will definitely rest a few of his players, especially those who haven't played much football this season.  Indeed, he more or less said as much in his post-match interview. Italy will also doubtless give a few squad players a run out.
  • All this talk of Italy and France in the same half of the draw (I know I started it) but I also wouldnt be surprised if the latter felt that England were an easier prospect and let Portugal win the Group.

They face off against each other last so the "losers" will potentially know which half of the draw they'll go into - Unless of course Germany beat Portugal, in which case the losers of Portugal v France could well end up third.
  • Blucher said:
    Intensity, speed, intent and total domination from Italy. They are major contenders.

Wales are effectively through and Rob Page will definitely rest a few of his players, especially those who haven't played much football this season.  Indeed, he more or less said as much in his post-match interview. Italy will also doubtless give a few squad players a run out.
    Not even playing like an Italian team....
  • All this talk of Italy and France in the same half of the draw (I know I started it) but I also wouldnt be surprised if the latter felt that England were an easier prospect and let Portugal win the Group.

They face off against each other last so the "losers" will potentially know which half of the draw they'll go into - Unless of course Germany beat Portugal, in which case the losers of Portugal v France could well end up third.
    I just don’t think there’s much of a ‘we’ll let them win the group’ mentality. What sort of message does that send to your group of players? Top footballers cross that line and try to win games. 

I just don’t think there’s much of a ‘we’ll let them win the group’ mentality. What sort of message does that send to your group of players? Top footballers cross that line and try to win games. 
    Yeah I think that Belgium game at the 2018 World Cup combined with Rashford's miss has scarred me
  • I'm also wondering it Italy are being flattered by their poor opposition.  Real test will be later in the comp against a better team 
  • Italy are starting to become scary.
  • WHAddick said:
    I'm also wondering it Italy are being flattered by their poor opposition.  Real test will be later in the comp against a better team 
    They've won both games 3-0 and could have scored plenty more - not sure what more they could have done?

I agree sterner tests await but they have impressed so far.
  • edited June 2021
    Could see a remarkable end to Group B with second based on who loses to Belgium by the least amount of goals.

If Russia win today... Belgium beat Denmark (and Finland), yet Denmark beat Russia

The last three will all be on three points
    It’s not goal difference this tournament is it? If teams are equal points, then it’s straight to head 2 head games. Russia currently 2nd even though they have worse GD. 
    But then if Denmark beat Russia how does head to head work...

Russia finish ahead of Finland, Finland finish ahead of Denmark, Denmark finish ahead of Russia
    If Denmark beat Russia 1-0 and each team loses 3-0 to Belgium, then Euro qualifying rankings from the Nations League are used to determine who finishes where. 

In this case it would be 2. Russia (12th) 3. Denmark (15th) 4. Finland (20th)
    I think you're wrong with this actually... the Euro Qualifying Rankings is the last decider

If Denmark lose 3-0 tomorrow, yet beat Russia 1-0, they'll both share the same GD, along with Goals Scored and Goals Conceded.

Those two would actually contest a penalty shootout to decide - If not the disciplinary record comes into account, only then if thats the same does the Qualifying Rankings apply. Thank god!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2020#Tiebreakers