Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Euro 2020 Thread

Comments

• WHAddick said:
    I'm also wondering it Italy are being flattered by their poor opposition.  Real test will be later in the comp against a better team 
    Last 12 games including tonight.

W10
    D2
    L0
    GS28
    GC1

• edited June 2021
    Oh Dazzler21 said:
    WHAddick said:
    I'm also wondering it Italy are being flattered by their poor opposition.  Real test will be later in the comp against a better team 
    Last 12 games including tonight.

W10
    D2
    L0
    GS28
    GC1

No big hitters in those games though unless you put the Dutch in that category beating them 1-0 and drawing 1-1. In fact you could go back even further to November 2018 when they drew with Portugal . No denying they look a decent outfit but it’s early days let’s see how the fair against the big boys later in the competition and maybe have to chase a game 🤔.
  • The Wales game was brilliant, i didn't really care if they won but fully deserved. Felt although Ramsey missed a few chances he was the best player. Bale wasn't amazing but done a 'ronaldo' a couple of bits of quality so will get some headlines, the penalty was awful could see he was bottling it before he took it, mad when he is their big game player. 

Italy are probably the most entertaining Italian team i can remember, playing great attacking football. Although as good as they are i do think they have got a bit lucky with the group, teams they have come up against haven't really tested their aging backline. I still think they will come unstuck against a few of the better sides including us, although still wouldn't be confident just yet. 

As per grumpy, another dull evening of Euros roll on Charlton :wink:
  • I hope Switzerland draw with Turkey so that both go out. Both have been crap.
    Switzerland have never been anything special... God knows how they got to the Nations League Semis
    Switzerland have never been anything special... God knows how they got to the Nations League Semis
    Since 94 they've only failed to qualify once for WC or Euros but never do much once they get there.
  • That's just under 35m, a bargain based on what i've seen so far. Villa pay that for players coming out of the Championship.

His price will probably double once Premier league sides start sniffing around. 
  • https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51197575

Nicely planned tribute for Eriksen...

Nice to know Moussa Sissoko will replicate it 17 times a game this season with his first touch...
  • edited June 2021
    Could see a remarkable end to Group B with second based on who loses to Belgium by the least amount of goals.

If Russia win today... Belgium beat Denmark (and Finland), yet Denmark beat Russia

The last three will all be on three points
    It’s not goal difference this tournament is it? If teams are equal points, then it’s straight to head 2 head games. Russia currently 2nd even though they have worse GD. 
    But then if Denmark beat Russia how does head to head work...

Russia finish ahead of Finland, Finland finish ahead of Denmark, Denmark finish ahead of Russia
    If Denmark beat Russia 1-0 and each team loses 3-0 to Belgium, then Euro qualifying rankings from the Nations League are used to determine who finishes where. 

In this case it would be 2. Russia (12th) 3. Denmark (15th) 4. Finland (20th)
    I think you're wrong with this actually... the Euro Qualifying Rankings is the last decider

If Denmark lose 3-0 tomorrow, yet beat Russia 1-0, they'll both share the same GD, along with Goals Scored and Goals Conceded.

Those two would actually contest a penalty shootout to decide - If not the disciplinary record comes into account, only then if thats the same does the Qualifying Rankings apply. Thank god!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2020#Tiebreakers
    It’s because Finland are in the 1-0 mix too that I don’t believe they’d be able to go to penalties. Unless you’ve figured out a way to have a three team shootout? :-)

From the wiki article:

“If on the last round of the group stage, two teams are facing each other and each has the same number of points, as well as the same number of goals scored and conceded, and the score finishes level in their match, their ranking is determined by a penalty shoot-out. (This criterion is not used if more than two teams have the same number of points.)”
  • Cristiano Ronaldo’s removal of two Coca-Cola bottles during a press conference has coincided with a $4bn fall in the share price of the drinks company.

The Portugal captain is a renowned health fanatic and made it clear what he thinks of the carbonated soft drink as he shifted the bottles of Coca-Cola away from him during a press conference in Budapest.

Ronaldo followed it by holding up a bottle of water before declaring in Portuguese: “Agua!”, appearing to encourage people to choose that instead.

Coca-Cola is one of the official sponsors of Euro 2020. The company’s share price dropped from $56.10 to $55.22 almost immediately after Ronaldo’s gesture, a 1.6% dip. The market value of Coca-Cola went from $242bn to $238bn – a drop of $4bn.

• Sponsored links:

• The advertising power of a man who can charge $1m+ just to endorse a product in one social media post.

• 1 match ban for racism? Surprised this isn't an outrage. 
  • As impressive as Italy have been there are still questions. What will they do when they face someone decent? The Turks and Swiss have looked like 2 of the worst sides so far. How will that defence cope? For all their attacking they have been quite wasteful with chances.

That said it's a refreshing change that Mancini has implemented to the national team and I guess those of us who watch Serie A won't be that surprised as the league on the whole has been a lot more exciting to watch in recent years.
  • loved watching Italy, some of their passing in their own box was incredible 
  • edited June 2021
    I thought the first goal was truly excellent. A fantastic pass and the same player sprinted into the box to finish.
  • Could see a remarkable end to Group B with second based on who loses to Belgium by the least amount of goals.

If Russia win today... Belgium beat Denmark (and Finland), yet Denmark beat Russia

The last three will all be on three points
    It’s not goal difference this tournament is it? If teams are equal points, then it’s straight to head 2 head games. Russia currently 2nd even though they have worse GD. 
    But then if Denmark beat Russia how does head to head work...

Russia finish ahead of Finland, Finland finish ahead of Denmark, Denmark finish ahead of Russia
    If Denmark beat Russia 1-0 and each team loses 3-0 to Belgium, then Euro qualifying rankings from the Nations League are used to determine who finishes where. 

In this case it would be 2. Russia (12th) 3. Denmark (15th) 4. Finland (20th)
    I think you're wrong with this actually... the Euro Qualifying Rankings is the last decider

If Denmark lose 3-0 tomorrow, yet beat Russia 1-0, they'll both share the same GD, along with Goals Scored and Goals Conceded.

Those two would actually contest a penalty shootout to decide - If not the disciplinary record comes into account, only then if thats the same does the Qualifying Rankings apply. Thank god!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2020#Tiebreakers
    It’s because Finland are in the 1-0 mix too that I don’t believe they’d be able to go to penalties. Unless you’ve figured out a way to have a three team shootout? :-)

From the wiki article:

“If on the last round of the group stage, two teams are facing each other and each has the same number of points, as well as the same number of goals scored and conceded, and the score finishes level in their match, their ranking is determined by a penalty shoot-out. (This criterion is not used if more than two teams have the same number of points.)”
    Ah very true... But then I imagine it will be decided on thr disciplinary record? 
    They are one of a group of teams like Austria, who are stronger than the weak teams but weaker than the strong teams. They occupy that space in the middle. 
  • Really enjoying watching the Italians play, so different from their old negative tactics. Fast skilful football on the front foot, they are a World class striker short of being excellent.
  • cfgs said:
    Really enjoying watching the Italians play, so different from their old negative tactics. Fast skilful football on the front foot, they are a World class striker short of being excellent.
    I dont personally think Immobile is that far off world class striker tbf, i know his record for his country isn't flattering but if you watch him for Lazio. To me he has the potential to be world class and all the attributes just goes under the radar a bit, i know he missed a few chances last night but he isn't a bad striker. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2021
    Think (hoping) they’ll be some high scoring games today.

North Macedonia have to get something from Ukraine. Both sides look poor defensively.

Denmark have to get something from free scoring Belgium.

Holland v Austria could be tight result wise but again, both are better going forward than at the back.

*cue 0-0, 1-0, 0-0.
  • Think (hoping) they’ll be some high scoring games today.

North Macedonia have to get something from Ukraine. Both sides look poor defensively.

Denmark have to get something from free scoring Belgium.

Holland v Austria could be tight result wise but again, both are better going forward than at the back.

*cue 0-0, 1-0, 0-0.
    Ukraine 2-0
    Belgium 2-0 
    Holland 3-0 

Feels like one sided games too me, i was impressed with North Macedonia v Austria but Ukraine will be a step up. 
  • colthe3rd said:
    As impressive as Italy have been there are still questions. What will they do when they face someone decent? The Turks and Swiss have looked like 2 of the worst sides so far. How will that defence cope? For all their attacking they have been quite wasteful with chances.

That said it's a refreshing change that Mancini has implemented to the national team and I guess those of us who watch Serie A won't be that surprised as the league on the whole has been a lot more exciting to watch in recent years.
    Not sure all their players were showing a balanced approached between having a go yourself and passing the ball to a teammate in a far better position. 
  • I know I didn’t imagine it but the commentator on the Italy game said if England win their group they play in Rome and If Italy win their group they play at Wembley . That’s not true is it ? 
  • edited June 2021
    I know I didn’t imagine it but the commentator on the Italy game said if England win their group they play in Rome and If Italy win their group they play at Wembley . That’s not true is it ? 
    It's not, England win the group they play at Wembley. Second in the group they play in Copenhagen I think.

Edit- If England win group and win second round they would play QF in Rome, perhaps where the confusion came in. 
  • Looks like Italy and France should play in their own competition and leave the rest to fight it out for second  place. 

Would save a lot of time watching very average football.