Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Euro 2020 Thread

Comments

• Goosens my player of the tournament so far.
  • AndyG said:
    Thinking about all the different permutations makes my head hurt 🤭 I have no idea who I want to win this game 
    I just don't want Portugal to win, or it'll make it reasonably certain them and France will finish top 2.

Draw or a Germany win opens it up a bit more.

I think Portugal will win though.
    On the other hand it would mean that Germany have to beat Greece to avoid coming 4th! And even then 3 points might not be enough to go through. Similarly Hungary would need to win that game as well to get 4 points
    That would be a big ask.
  • Love to see someone actually smash Pepe. Can’t stand him
  • edited June 2021
    And Sam Matterface is a bloody dreadful commentator. From the Clive Tyldesley school of glibness.
  • Valley11 said:
    Goosens my player of the tournament so far.
    Excellent player - never stops running. 
  • Wasn't it Sunderland who scored 3 own goals for us? Portugal could equal that!
  • Cliché corner.

Never rule out the Germans.

• Superb game this
  • So why didn’t VAR rule that goal out for offside?
  • Sponsored links:

• Todays games have shown that even the very best sides can be got at if you attack them.

Please take note Southgate!
  • Not often that I find myself cheering for the Germans. But I live the look on Ronaldos face when it goes tits up.  Hoping that somebody cleans him out. 
  • Overlapping wingbacks, balls whipped in at pace. Every attack has speed and purpose. Quality and intensity 
  • Cliché corner.

Never rule out the Germans.

Which is why I'm happy for England not to win the group.
    I'm not overly optimistic we'll beat France, Germany or Portugal if we do win the group.
  • But don’t we face one of them , the group topper, in the quarters if we come second?
    Yes I know we need to get through the 16s first but which is better?
    Surely the second in the group?
  • This lot are on a different level to us. Such a good maych
  • Germany look fantastic, I said I thought they looked the better side against France and I stand by it. 

Based on what I've seen so far the team I would want to play the least from the group of death
  • WHAddick said:
    But don’t we face one of them , the group topper, in the quarters if we come second?
    Yes I know we need to get through the 16s first but which is better?
    Surely the second in the group?
    Yes, but I'd rather get to the Quarters than probably/possibly get knocked out in the last 16.
    It's like saying I'd rather meet France (and probably get knocked out) in the semis rather than getting to the final and playing them.
    I understand the argument that you have to beat the best at some stage, but personally I want England to progress as far as possible.
  • Todays games have shown that even the very best sides can be got at if you attack them.

Please take note Southgate!
    This exactly. When faced with probably the best player in the world who is surrounded by team mates that are very good offensively you can do 2 things. 1. Do what we would do and play a defensive game and without doubt lose as you are never going to keep them out for the whole game. 2. Go at them and have a go. Hardly any sideways passing from the Germans that half, always looking for the forward pass. It's not easy to do admittedly but it's the best chance you have otherwise you are putting you weakest link up against their strongest. Never going to end well
  • Own Goals favourite for Golden boot with 5 already.
  • Sponsored links:

• Germany attacking exactly how we should be with Chilwell/Shaw and Walker/James.

Cutting Portugal apart, quick forward passing, spreading the play, full backs overlapping at every opportunity. 
  • Germany's demise appears to be somewhat exaggerated. 
  • Germany have arrived
  • Wow, Portugal getting ripped apart.
  • Absolutely abysmal defending there. Totally unmarked. 
  • A massive swing in GD as well, Germany now above Portugal in the group
  • edited June 2021
    The rest of Europe waking up to how good Gosens is, he's been playing like this for Atalanta for the past 2-3 years.

Although quite why Portugal haven't changed things to try and stop him is beyond me. He's been unmarked practically all game.
  • This is what it looks like to have a quality manager who knows how to get the best out of his players. Why aren't there any English tacticians out there who could do this for us 
  • I love wing backs as long as they play on their correct side.

Portugal just been goosed.
  • Thought they finished 3rd in this group... don't know why I ever doubted the krauts, always turn up in tournaments