Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Euro 2020 Thread

Comments

• Think Germany would struggle against England with our attacking finesse...
  • Is there seeding for the tournament groups? Can't remember a time when there's been 3 of the historical faves in one group. 
  • More sloppy defending
  • Bonkers game - very poor defending...
  • Sixth goal!
  • Portugal are lucky that Jota doesn't have a massive afro or mohican, as otherwise his hair might have touched the cross
  • Croydon said:
    Is there seeding for the tournament groups? Can't remember a time when there's been 3 of the historical faves in one group. 
    Not just that, but it's the last winner of the last euros and last two worlp cups I think. 
  • edited June 2021
    France Portugal will be fascinating in a few days time. 

If Germany win today and against Hungary, they’d top the group with anything but a France win.

Who would’ve seen that coming after the poor German performance the other night?
  • Over 30 degrees but both teams giving it a go and thankfully both defences generous and great attacking play. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Think Germany would struggle against England with our attacking finesse...
    No mate the match would be like one of those training games defence vrs attack. We would be defending obviously now that we are keeping clean sheets we play for a 0-0 and penalties cos our history in those vrs Germany is so good lol
  • Croydon said:
    Is there seeding for the tournament groups? Can't remember a time when there's been 3 of the historical faves in one group. 

When the Euro draw took place in 2019, Uefa decided on a new system to seed the team purely based on qualifying performance.

Portugal was comfortable participating in Euro2020, but did not enjoy the particularly impressive campaign. Ended behind Ukraine..

As a result, they were seeded third in the European Championship and prepared for a tough group.

It was also thanks to the Ukrainians that France became a group of death.

France won the qualifying group but scored only one point in two games from Turkey.

And that meant Ukraine was able to take the last top seed spot when Artem Besyedin won the last-minute equalizer in his last match in Serbia.

Germany and Hungary, on the other hand, were both pre-drawn into Group F as Munich and Budapest had already been selected as the group’s two host cities.

• Croydon said:
    The seeding was done (rightly or wrongly) by performance in qualifying groups so the top seeds were: Belgium, Italy, England, Germany, Spain and Ukraine

Second seeds included France and Netherlands. Portugal were third seeds because they only just squeaked through qualifying behind Ukraine.

Pot 1: Belgium, Italy, England, Germany, Spain, Ukraine
    Pot 2: France, Switzerland, Croatia, Poland, Netherlands, Russia
    Pot 3: Portugal, Turkey, Denmark, Austria, Sweden, Czech Republic
    Pot 4: Wales, Finland, Playoff A, Playoff B, Playoff C, Playoff D
  • Oof what a hit Sanches 
  • Last night's England game was far more entertaining...
  • Continual digs at England, but neither of these teams can defend. Some shocking marking and shape.
  • How is this game only 4-2 ? Cracker.
  • Continual digs at England, but neither of these teams can defend. Some shocking marking and shape.
    You're very sensitive...
    What they need is two defensive centre mids mate, oh hang on a minute 😉.
    You're very sensitive...
    What???
  • Sponsored links:

• You can't beat a defensive 0-0 masterclass against Scotland for pure entertainment.
    You're very sensitive...
    What???
    About England.
    You're very sensitive...
    What???
    About England.
    If you say so.
    Yeah i'd be absolutely gutted if we couldn't defend and had just ripped Portugal apart 4-2.
  • They may not be able to defend bit I know what game I enjoyed watching the most. 
  • AndyG said:
    They may not be able to defend bit I know what game I enjoyed watching the most. 
    England showed no attacking intent - if defence is your main concern then it's much easier to keep your shape defensively. We don't look like scoring.
  • edited June 2021
    Jessie said:
    Jessie said:
    This is a very entertaining game for a neutral to watch. Both goals are great. 
    I know you're Chinese but there is no neutral in this game for the English. Come on Hungary!!
    Haha, I know many of you hate France. But I must admit judging from this game both France and Hungary look better than England. Hungary did especially well. I'm surprised at how good they are! They defended and attacked both brilliantly and effectively. I really like England (always support them in tournaments) but this Hungarian team is such an inspiration and I kept thinking England would lose to them while watching the game. I know none of the Hungarian players (apart from Nego of course) yet they almost beat France and totally deserved the point. 

I heard the other day that England have the most expensive squad at this tournament but having read the posts on the England v Scotland match thead and then watched today's Hungary game I don't think the total value of a squad matters.
    Some?! None of us like the garlic smelling bastards.

the premiership over rates our players along with the commentators. Then again our manager and some of our fans are no different. 

I might be a tad bias towards Hungary having lived there for a few years and also desperate to live there again. 

• Valley11 said:
    And Sam Matterface is a bloody dreadful commentator. From the Clive Tyldesley school of glibness.
    I’d gladly swap them both for Ronnie Whelan.
    Jesus, Mary, Joseph & the baby donkey he is fecking shite.
    Yeah i'd be absolutely gutted if we couldn't defend and had just ripped Portugal apart 4-2.
    Fantastic result, but that’s not what I’m saying. Just pointing out that neither team defended well which could catch them out later in the tournament. It certainly caught Portugal out today. 
  • Most of the ex pundits that "lost their roles" as part of the recent revamp by Sky, BBC, ITV etc have been taken on by Al Jazeera from what I hear from a friend who is involved they are having a great time