Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Euro 2020 Thread

Comments

• The Spanish technical area in Seville has declared independence. How big are they at this tournament?
  • Spain are the one ‘big name’ team I’m not afraid of. The rest I think we lose.
  • The French establishment and ruling classes are awful though. I'm struggling to think of a single French politician I've liked or respected
    You serious? With the absolute fucking shower in charge of us??? 🤣🤣🤣
    I wasn't just talking about current politicians.
  • Some great games today, both groups are wide open.
  • Good tournament so far 
  • Could we end up with Spain now if we come second 
    I’m too lazy to look for myself  I can’t keep up 
  • Sponsored links:

Yes we could if both they and Sweden win. I think every team in Group E can still get second so pointless trying to work it out.

Also we play before groups E & F and both those groups are wide open so no way of knowing who we'll get.
  • Yes. 2nd in our group plays 2nd in Spain's group in Copenhagen. Followed by the winners of Germany, France group.
  • The scenes at the end of the Hungary-France game yesterday, with the full stadium huge crowd showing their appreciation of the home team and vice-versa, showed what a difference a full capacity makes to the atmosphere. Wonderful to see.
    Those games will determine the future of football for a while. If there are Low infection rates in Hungary going forward then crowds elsewhere will probably be bigger; a steep rise in infections in Hungary and restricted capacities will probably continue. 
  • The scenes at the end of the Hungary-France game yesterday, with the full stadium huge crowd showing their appreciation of the home team and vice-versa, showed what a difference a full capacity makes to the atmosphere. Wonderful to see.
    Those games will determine the future of football for a while. If there are Low infection rates in Hungary going forward then crowds elsewhere will probably be bigger; a steep rise in infections in Hungary and restricted capacities will probably continue. 
    I think Hungary want the finals staged there - UEFA want unrestricted access for dignitaries.
  • But aren’t all the crowd in Hungary vaccinated or tested negative 
  • The French establishment and ruling classes are awful though. I'm struggling to think of a single French politician I've liked or respected
    You serious? With the absolute fucking shower in charge of us??? 🤣🤣🤣
    I wasn't just talking about current politicians.
    Napoleon introduced some far-reaching civil reforms. OK, he was responsible for a lot of deaths, too. 
  • MrOneLung said:
    But aren’t all the crowd in Hungary vaccinated or tested negative 
    Yes but they don’t have to quarantine on arrival
  • MrOneLung said:
    But aren’t all the crowd in Hungary vaccinated or tested negative 
    Yes but they don’t have to quarantine on arrival
    Sorry was replying to post about infection rates after these games 
  • Hungary currently has low infection and high vaccination rates.

The battle of the out of form strikers. One of the only teams I'd fancy us against if it went to pens as well
  • Sponsored links:

2 days ago we had over 10k new cases. Hungary had 106.

Looking past the fact their population is only around 10m, what are they doing right that we're not?
  • edited June 2021
    Hungary currently has low infection and high vaccination rates.

Looking past the fact their population is only around 10m, what are they doing right that we're not?
    How much are they testing?

Edit - nowhere near as much as us. So far they have 626,000 tests per 1M population, whereas we have 2.9M tests per 1M population.
  • Three very entertaining games yesterday. Such an exciting tournament because every team appear to have weakness. Will be interesting to see Italy break down a very stubborn Wales side today.

My money would still be on France but can’t rule out 5/6 different teams to win it.
  • edited June 2021
    se9addick said:
    Hungary currently has low infection and high vaccination rates.

How much are they testing?

Edit - nowhere near as much as us. So far they have 626,000 tests per 1M population, whereas we have 2.9M tests per 1M population.
    Over what time period were those 2.9m tests conducted? I'm guessing that's based on a figure of the total number of tests carried out during the whole pandemic - when a better measure would be how many tests they are *currently* doing daily?

I don't doubt they're testing less than we are. I also don't doubt that their case rate is higher than figures suggest. However, if we're going to be using statistical analysis to reinforce that supposition, we should at least be using statistics that are worthwhile. 

Not as much as Viktor Orban would like you to believe. 

It is certainly true that Hungary has been and is still the top EU country for jabbing people, although it looks like Germany will overtake them sometime in July. However a lot of those jabs are the Chinese Sinopharm and a bit of Sputnik. At the same time it is the Central Euro countries which are leading the EU infection rate down, and it looks like this is because, fortunately, the Delta variant has so far appeared only in isolated pockets. If it arrives in Hungary in a big way we will quickly find out if those    two jabs are any good. 

But you would have to say that based on today’s figures, Orban was justified in claiming that stadium was safe. There is just one question for the fat fascist: why then is the maximum number for public protest meetings still pegged at 500?
  • Hasn't been mentioned on here i don't think but the Polish kid who came on last night broke Bellingham's record as the youngest ever player to appear at a Euro's.

Kacper Kozlowski just 17 years and 246 days. Made his club debut at 15, and has battled back seriously well from injury last year. He was involved in a car crash which left him with a broken pelvis and three broken vertebrae in his lower back in January 2020.
  • Hasn't been mentioned on here i don't think but the Polish kid who came on last night broke Bellingham's record as the youngest ever player to appear at a Euro's.

Kacper Kozlowski just 17 years and 246 days. Made his club debut at 15, and has battled back seriously well from injury last year. He was involved in a car crash which left him with a broken pelvis and three broken vertebrae in his lower back in January 2020.
    That is amazing. I didnt watch that game, did he have a chance to show what he can do?

That is amazing. I didnt watch that game, did he have a chance to show what he can do?
    He made one great break from midfield which was threatening but got caught in possession just outside the box when he should/could have offloaded the ball a second earlier. Didn't look out of place at all, which is a compliment in itself. 

• Laddick01 said:
    Leuth said:
    Offside should also be daylight between attacker and defender. Overlap = onside
    The problem is that’s arguably even more subjective than the current rule.

How would you measure that?
    Easy. When there's no daylight you can see the moon. The lino just needs to look at the sky at the appropriate moment.
  • Gunter plays v Italy, looks like in a back 3