Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Euro 2020 Thread

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2021
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:
    Every single Welsh ex player pundit has said it wasn't a red card. Great to have an unbiased opinion. My 20% Welsh garnered from a grandad from South Wales thinks that was never a penalty.
    My 80% English heritage from Bermondsey riffraff think that was a red card.
    Wouldn’t you be 25% Welsh if your grandad was? 

Blimey, I'm even more taffy than I realized  :#
    That's why my daughter looks like a young Katherine Zeta Jones !

Question as there's no football tonight:
    What % Welsh is my daughter if her great grandad James was/is Welsh as well as her great grandad Lewis on my wife's side.

Does that beat 25% @se9addick?
    I think that would make her 25% Welsh (2 x 12.5%)

It's just 12.5%. E.g. If both parents are 50% Welsh then their child will still be 50% Welsh, or in this case 12.5%. 

Edit: misread it, 25% is right if both parents are 25%. I went back an extra generation
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    After the interlude for 'who do you think you are' I'm not convinced the history of the 3 match group format is being recognized. 

Take Germany against France. Germany had no cutting edge against a French team that had flair going forward but also had defenders in numbers when the Germans had possession. Germany didn't look like scoring in a month of Sundays.

2nd match and with criticism from the German media, they went from being toothless to Jaws, scoring 4 against a normally reliable Portuguese defence. How much of football in the group stages is based on how much risk do we take with each game. 

Turkey and Italy appear the most Consistent teams in this Championship so far:
    Italy 3 solid games scoring 7 conceded 0. And giving minutes to about 20 players in their squad over the 3 games.
    Turkey negative in their first game and outclassed, by Italy, hapless against Wales, and well beaten by the Swiss. 1 scored and 8 conceded.

You can't win the Euro's in the group stages but you need to be laying down a marker.

England haven't conceded a goal But in the 3rd game we need to play with more confidence and flair going forward.

• Options
    We can draw every game 0-0 now and still win the competition, of course its a risk as you need to win on penalties, but as I've been constantly reminded when I mock Portugal's win on here, people will only remember the victory not how they win it.

Yeah right will that remain the opinion if England did the same!! 
  • Options
    Italy's run of form is crazy. 11 wins in a row without conceding and now 30 games unbeaten.

P30 W25 D5 L0 F81 A7
  • Options
    Italy's run of form is crazy. 11 wins in a row without conceding and now 30 games unbeaten.

P30 W25 D5 L0 F81 A7
    If you look at the teams they have been playing, it's no surprise. They've been playing absolute minnows. Not to say it's not impressive, but if that was England, I would take it with a pinch of salt. 

Not to say they haven't been massively impressive this tournament so far though!
  • Options
    Billy Gilmour tested positive for Covid.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Desperately unfortunate. I simply fail understand how the rest of the squad now don’t have to self isolate given that Gilmour will have been in very close contact with them all for the last few days when COVID has presumably been gestating in his system. If I spent Saturday in the pub with someone who tested positive this morning I’d be getting my track and trace text at some point today. Am I just being thick?
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Desperately unfortunate. I simply fail understand how the rest of the squad now don’t have to self isolate given that Gilmour will have been in very close contact with them all for the last few days when COVID has presumably been gestating in his system. If I spent Saturday in the pub with someone who tested positive this morning I’d be getting my track and trace text at some point today. Am I just being thick?
    I would imagine they will be tested more regularly and efficiently than we would be seeing as what is at stake. It probably would have made sense to double jab all teams. I know that doesn't sound fair, but they are bringing pleasure to the rest of us which I would argue makes them a special case.
  • Options
    also could mean England have to isolate ? not sure on that one tbh
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    AndyG said:
    also could mean England have to isolate ? not sure on that one tbh
    Mount and Chilwell were being all matey at the final whistle.

• Options
    England will probably have to take appropriate action.
  • Options
    Totally gutted 
  • Options
    Let the Czechs have the 3-0 win, come second in the group for an easier draw and have a few more day's rest before the last 16?
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Like what? 

Cancello tested positive for Portugal two days before their game against Hungary and they all played as normal. England played Scotland 3 days ago. I presume they all would of been tested since.
  • Options
    The rules are so mixed it’s almost farcical 
    Takes the piss really doesn't it. Works out better for the tournament, but how can they expect Joe Public to stick to the rules when they're bent every which way for footballers and politicians 
  • Options
    Like what? 

Cancello tested positive for Portugal two days before their game against Hungary and they all played as normal. England played Scotland 3 days ago. I presume they all would of been tested since.
    Like increase testing and reduce contact a bit.
  • Options
    Like what? 

They’re all in a tested controlled environment at St George’s Park. They get straight on a coach and stay closer to Wembley in a hotel the night before a game. The only ‘contact’ they have is with a few media outlets, which is held inside the camp. 

Over 800 players in this tournament and that’s only the what, second positive case? (Spain and Sweden’s were before the tournament). Sounds to me like it’s working.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yes, it is working. Clearly we played against a player who has just tested positive a few days ago so that has to be monitored and risk assessed in itself. That is all I am saying which doesn't sound like rocket science to me.
  • Options
    I'm baffled how ONE player in the middle of a tournament can test positive. Who did he catch it from, and when did he catch it? Was it before or after the England game?
  • Options
    I rather fear that the results for some of these final round of games have already been decided. The nature of so many teams qualifying will mean that we will see a few draws being played out with little or no attacking intent.
  • Options
    I rather fear that the results for some of these final round of games have already been decided. The nature of so many teams qualifying will mean that we will see a few draws being played out with little or no attacking intent.
    The Ukraine Austria match today certainly fits that idea, as a draw will give both teams 4 points meaning N Macedonia can't catch them plus a GD of zero, which is better than Switzerland's minus 1
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    I think there was the potential for this but fortunately the way the groups have developed this has become less likely. Fortunately the Austria v Ukraine game precedes the Belgium v Finland one. A win for Belgium would mean a draw for either would be enough to progress so that would be one. It could still be if Austria can't see beyond a Belgium win in that one. I can't really identify another. England v Cech Republic is a game where a draw guarantees qualification for both sides, but I can't see us accepting that. Also, both may have qualified (or as good as) before they play. It isn't in our DNA anyway. I think France will want to beat Portugal and win the group.
  • Options
    I'm baffled how ONE player in the middle of a tournament can test positive. Who did he catch it from, and when did he catch it? Was it before or after the England game?
    Had this at the Giro d'Italia last year. Simon Yates tested positive - almost certainly he caught it at a hotel where the regular guests were sharing the same restaurant as the cyclists in the 'race bubble' were. No matter how secure the bubble, they still have to have outside contact (catering at the hotel etc) and there's a chance that a surface isn't cleaned properly. They're all isolated from each other in separate rooms indoors, and socially distanced in communal areas, wearing masks etc - so if anything, it's another example that highlights just how difficult it is for the virus to spread between people outside. 
  • Options
    I think there was the potential for this but fortunately the way the groups have developed this has become less likely. Fortunately the Austria v Ukraine game precedes the Belgium v Finland one. A win for Belgium would mean a draw for either would be enough to progress so that would be one. It could still be if Austria can't see beyond a Belgium win in that one. I can't really identify another. England v Cech Republic is a game where a draw guarantees qualification for both sides, but I can't see us accepting that. Also, both may have qualified (or as good as) before they play. It isn't in our DNA anyway. I think France will want to beat Portugal and win the group.
    Even if Belgium and Finland draw, leaving Finland on  4 points, if Denmark beat Russia (which isn't impossible), that'll mean that the 3rd placed team in this group only has 3 points anyway
  • Options
    Was going to post exactly this. If it was early like some of the other cases (Cancelo for example) then it could've been before they all met up, but they have been in their 'bubbles'/ training camps now for at least 2-3 weeks so how does he catch it? And only him out of the entire squad/staff?

Has he been sneaking girls into his hotel like Foden/Greenwood?
  • Options
    Like what? 

20k Scots can do what they want on the streets of London though.