Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Euro 2020 Thread

Comments

• Options
    I rather fear that the results for some of these final round of games have already been decided. The nature of so many teams qualifying will mean that we will see a few draws being played out with little or no attacking intent.
    I think there was the potential for this but fortunately the way the groups have developed this has become less likely. Fortunately the Austria v Ukraine game precedes the Belgium v Finland one. A win for Belgium would mean a draw for either would be enough to progress so that would be one. It could still be if Austria can't see beyond a Belgium win in that one. I can't really identify another. England v Cech Republic is a game where a draw guarantees qualification for both sides, but I can't see us accepting that. Also, both may have qualified (or as good as) before they play. It isn't in our DNA anyway. I think France will want to beat Portugal and win the group.
    Even if Belgium and Finland draw, leaving Finland on  4 points, if Denmark beat Russia (which isn't impossible), that'll mean that the 3rd placed team in this group only has 3 points anyway
    But Demark may not beat Russia. But I agree, I think this is a group where 3rd place is likely to have 3 points. It would still be a gamble for Austria although it is unlikely a draw won't be enough for them.
  • Options
    I'm baffled how ONE player in the middle of a tournament can test positive. Who did he catch it from, and when did he catch it? Was it before or after the England game?

Gilmour has probably been hugged by 3000 William Wallace types in last 4 days and taken on board a lot of alcoholic body fluids.
  • Options
    I rather fear that the results for some of these final round of games have already been decided. The nature of so many teams qualifying will mean that we will see a few draws being played out with little or no attacking intent.
    I think there was the potential for this but fortunately the way the groups have developed this has become less likely. Fortunately the Austria v Ukraine game precedes the Belgium v Finland one. A win for Belgium would mean a draw for either would be enough to progress so that would be one. It could still be if Austria can't see beyond a Belgium win in that one. I can't really identify another. England v Cech Republic is a game where a draw guarantees qualification for both sides, but I can't see us accepting that. Also, both may have qualified (or as good as) before they play. It isn't in our DNA anyway. I think France will want to beat Portugal and win the group.
    If we'd both won on Friday I could have seen it - rest a few players, we've won 2 games and no criticism would have been directed at Southgate.

But not now.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    If we beat the Czechs and win the group who would people prefer in the next round France or Germany, (possibly Portugal)?

If we draw and come second I'd rather play Spain, Sweden, Poland or Slovakia.
  • Options
    would rather play a top side - we just can't break down sides that sit back, we are far more of a threat as a counter attacking side.
  • Options
    As Scotland are training in Middlesbrough then they will follow English covid guidelines and Gilmour will have to self-isolate. However, if they were training in Scotland then the whole team would have to self-isolate and would be kicked out the competition.

Very fortunate that they decided to be based in England then. 

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/scotland-not-expected-move-middlesbrough-20705695
  • Options
    I think I'd rather play Portugal than France or Germany, Pepe is ancient, and Ronaldo could have one of those off days where he tries to do everything snd fails (rather than one of those days where he tries to do everything and it works).
  • Options
    If we beat the Czechs and win the group who would people prefer in the next round France or Germany, (possibly Portugal)?

If we draw and come second I'd rather play Spain, Sweden, Poland or Slovakia.
    If we beat Spain etc we would play the winners of Group F in the next round anyway.
  • Options
    The whole set up with 24 teams, going down to 16, is flawed

It doesn't seem fair that 4 groups winners face a 3rd place team, whereas 2 of them have to play potentially a much better second placed team. Italy play the second placed team in Group C, so the teams there (Ukraine and Austria) might prefer to take a chance and finish 3rd, and maybe get a weaker group winner...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As Scotland are training in Middlesbrough then they will follow English covid guidelines and Gilmour will have to self-isolate. However, if they were training in Scotland then the whole team would have to self-isolate and would be kicked out the competition.

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/scotland-not-expected-move-middlesbrough-20705695
    I didn't know you could catch Covid from smog  ;)
  • Options

It doesn't seem fair that 4 groups winners face a 3rd place team, whereas 2 of them have to play potentially a much better second placed team. Italy play the second placed team in Group C, so the teams there (Ukraine and Austria) might prefer to take a chance and finish 3rd, and maybe get a weaker group winner...
    I do agree with your point but we can’t be moaning about luck of the draw after WC2018.
  • Options
    Out of France, Germany and Portugal I would prefer Germany as despite how well they played against Portugal I think we would have more chance of scoring against Germany than Portugal. France would turn it on against us and I feel we would struggle. 
  • Options

Bizarre how he can supposedly have no close contacts who also need to isolate despite sharing a hotel, gym, restaurant, coach, dressing room and pitch with the rest of the squad.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    se9addick said:
    Totally gutted 
    Don't worry mate he should be back ready for the semi final
  • Options
    Out of France, Germany and Portugal I would prefer Germany as despite how well they played against Portugal I think we would have more chance of scoring against Germany than Portugal. France would turn it on against us and I feel we would struggle. 
    Portugal just leaked 4 to a side playing 3 at the back. You can definitely get at them.
  • Options
    I have just had a terrible thought .. Germany might win this .. in horse racing parlance, I can see them sneaking up along the rail
  • Options
    I have just had a terrible thought .. Germany might win this .. in horse racing parlance, I can see them sneaking up along the rail
    You must know by now that they can never be ruled out. Very rarely do they fail to turn up when it matters. 
  • Options
    England will probably have to take appropriate action.
    Like what? 

Cancello tested positive for Portugal two days before their game against Hungary and they all played as normal. England played Scotland 3 days ago. I presume they all would of been tested since.
    Like increase testing and reduce contact a bit.
    20k Scots can do what they want on the streets of London though.

That should have been stopped in its tracks. 
  • Options
    I was surprised to know the other day that Christian Eriksson hasn't been vaccinated. I thought all players taking part in this tournament had at least taken one jab. The players that have been tested positive probably haven't. But why not? This is a big international competition and surely everyone involved is in higher risk than people in general?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    AndyG said:
    also could mean England have to isolate ? not sure on that one tbh
    Don’t think any of them got close to him.
    Very good
  • Options
    Holland putting their strongest side out even though they’ve already won the group.
  • Options
    So let's assume Holland win and top the group. It doesn't suit Austria to play out a draw does it? Ukraine will go through if they don't lose but Austria could miss out if they don't win. Have I got that wrong?
  • Options

I do agree with your point but we can’t be moaning about luck of the draw after WC2018.

Bale & Ramsey need to show their best ability., haven't so far
     Yes. But that was simple tournament group football. Winners of the group face the runners up of another.
    This whole third place thing is a bit of a fit up and makes no sense.
  • Options
    Is there a flaw in the logic of UEFA? By my reckoning, the four 'best' third-placed teams from the six groups are less than likely to be the four best. In a group where the fourth team is weak, the third-placed team should pick up three easy points. Conversely, in a tough group with four evenly matched sides, there are likely to be draws, which waste a point effectively, and unpredictable outcomes that are more likely to lead to the third-placed team dropping points.

I always thought having 24 teams was a mistake, but I also think that four of the last 16 qualifiers has little to do with being the best of the third placed teams. The effect of 24 teams gets worse because seeding goes out of the window. Traditionally, the win gets the right to play the second placed team from another group. In this competition, some winners get to play third placed teams, others don't. They might as well have had 32 teams in it and just had the top two from each group. Mind you, with 32 teams, a qualification tournament becomes a farce. The Isle of Sheppey would stand a chance of qualifying.
  • Options
    Is there a flaw in the logic of UEFA? By my reckoning, the four 'best' third-placed teams from the six groups are less than likely to be the four best. In a group where the fourth team is weak, the third-placed team should pick up three easy points. Conversely, in a tough group with four evenly matched sides, there are likely to be draws, which waste a point effectively, and unpredictable outcomes that are more likely to lead to the third-placed team dropping points.

I always thought having 24 teams was a mistake, but I also think that four of the last 16 qualifiers has little to do with being the best of the third placed teams. The effect of 24 teams gets worse because seeding goes out of the window. Traditionally, the win gets the right to play the second placed team from another group. In this competition, some winners get to play third placed teams, others don't. They might as well have had 32 teams in it and just had the top two from each group. Mind you, with 32 teams, a qualification tournament becomes a farce. The Isle of Sheppey would stand a chance of qualifying.
    You're missing the point. The requirement to have the 'best' third placed teams go through is secondary to the actual requirement to MAKE MORE MONEY. 
  • Options
    In other tournaments where the 3rd place team goes through the results against the 4th place team are discounted. That would have made it more likely to get the best 4 x 3rd place finishers. 
  • Options
    edited June 2021

Going back to 16 is obviously the way forward but the 24 team horse has already bolted.

32 is definitely too many (watch it be that by the 2030s).

Could a solution be to have a knockout round before the groups start? The top 8 qualifiers are into the groups automatically and the remaining 16 sides play eight knockout games to determine who joins them. The minor nations are unlikely to approve that change. Eight teams playing only one game in the tournament which may as well be a home and away two legged play-off.

Four groups of six? Five group games won't be approved by any major nation. More games to show so UEFA would love it but I think it's a non starter.

Eight groups of three? Probably the most likely solution but not one that I like. Too many opportunities for results rigging in the final group game.
  • Options
    Another potential solution: four best group winners qualify automatically for the quarter final round. The remaining two group winners and six runners up play a knockout round to determine who joins them. This would incent teams to continue playing their best XI throughout the group stage to bypass the first knockout round. UEFA would lose four round of 16 games this way so probably a non starter!
  • Options
    So let's assume Holland win and top the group. It doesn't suit Austria to play out a draw does it? Ukraine will go through if they don't lose but Austria could miss out if they don't win. Have I got that wrong?
    Holland have already won the group. 

If it's a draw then Ukraine and Austria would almost certainly both qualify. 4 points and a 0 goal difference will put Austria (who would be third) above Switzerland who are third from group A and they'd need a lot of results to go against them to not finish above 1 other third placed side.