Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v. Derby County 2012 post-match news & views

Comments

• Options
    just seen this on Twitter-:
    Seen the replay of the penalty up on the gantry. Morro's right foot gets there first and sweeps ball away. Not a penalty #cafc
  • Options
    We're actually closer to the playoffs than we are the relegation places in terms of points. We're a mid-table team that will finish mid-table unless the board pump some money in. Still expecting a few overreactions and moans on here though...
  • Options
    Great goal, poor ref, Morrison showed a lack of discipline , would like to see it again though , wasn't sure it was a foul . Just the worry of how long is Haynes gone. Oh well...
  • Options

Great goal, poor ref, Morrison showed a lack of discipline , would like to see it again though , wasn't sure it was a foul . Just the worry of how long is Haynes gone. Oh well...

Lack of discipline but wasn't a foul? Which one is it?
  • Options
    edited December 2012

Lack of discipline but wasn't a foul? Which one is it?
    At the end of the day he'd made a few poor challenges before the pen
  • Options
    Deserved to win. Morrison was asking for a red card all game, ref was gonna give him a second yellow in the first half until he realised he'd been booked already
  • Options
    Huskaris Member 5:28PM 2.123.121.184 Morrison should have been taken off at half time. He was on a final warning, regardless of what you think of the ref you have to adjust to that. I couldn't believe it when he was still on as late as he was and was completely unshocked when he was sent off, looked a definite penalty.

Haynes, fantastic from start to (early) finish. Wilson has a real hunger. Hamer is staking a claim to player of the season if he keeps making saves like that. Pritchard missed a sitter, but played well otherwise.

Every time we win a game we are destined for playoffs, every time we lose a game we are destined for relegation, so what does a draw mean on the CL over reaction o meter? Mid table? I'll take that.
  • Options
    Costly game. Looks like we've lost our most likely goal scorer for quite a while, not sure how long Morro will get,
    were second best but got a point.
  • Options

ISWT blimey mate - he must have been bad if he was worse than that mug a week ago ! We gotta get some lady luck soon, surely ?

• Options
    Gutsy Charlton performance from what in the main were the team that got us promoted . Commitment in abundance if but a lack of quality at times.

One moan directed at CP, Morrison should have been taken off at HT, I'm sure he was thinking of it before the interval the way Dervite was warming up, he was extremely lucky to stay on the pitch first half and ultimately along with the Pritchard miss has done us today .

Special mention to BWP who I thought was excellent.

Stops the rot!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Spanish said:

ISWT blimey mate - he must have been bad if he was worse than that mug a week ago ! We gotta get some lady luck soon, surely ?

Did you go today mate ? Having been to both I can safely say today's was worse!
  • Options
    I'm not one to blame refs..its a tough job and a thankless one..but the one today sounded off the game....booking two players one from derby and Morrow so early in the game for their first challenges set the tone for the match......at the time of the pen most people were expecting a fk for the addicks....and yet the ref points to the spot!! as my first post above says the pen has been seen on replay and apparently it definitely wasn't one. When we had 11 on the pitch, after the first 10 minutes, we were playing well, Haynes goal was sensational according to the commentary, Pritch hit the underside of the bar and we were piling pressure on them.....then the pen.....enough said and we have to be happy with a point despite the ref's best attempts to screw us up. I'm worried though about Haynes injury he is the only one with true pace and he was giving the Rams defenders a torrid time while he was on......BUT we have no-one else that can do that and hence I'll take a mid-table finish - unless of course there is a large injection of cash in January - which despite various rumours seems as though it wont happen (more rumours). Overall we stopped a losing streak....but its going to be a 'dig-in' and fight time for the final half of the season.
  • Options
    Very naive of CP not to change Morro for Dervite at HT.
    Everyone in the ground saw the ref reach for the card and change his mind in the first half.

Feel sorry for DH after such a wonder goal.
  • Options
    Sounded a cracking game and a spirited performance
  • Options
    Said in the lineup thread i'd drop Morrison, hasn't been the rock for us since his suspension and cost us today. The subbing of Stephens for dervite made no sense, we ended up playing wilson at cm and bwp at right midfield, bwp up top and Kermorgant off for dervite would have made more sense. Hopefully Powell will learn from this and start BWP and Dervite, and tell Morrison to get used to the bench
  • Options
    Listening to the Derby commentary we were described on a number of occasions as a poor team. They were fully expecting to win the game at HT & they were very disappointed with the result. It was a good point for us, but it is increasingly difficult to see where the next win is going to come from.
  • Options
    What a fecking goal. Gutted about his injury. We went ahead against run of play and although the ref was absolutely rubbish I think Derby would have been hard done by to lose. We were I'm afraid second best most of the match but we got a point and move on. Still too many of our players are passengers. I would bite your handoff for mid table right now.
  • Options
    Bubble said:

Gutsy Charlton performance from what in the main were the team that got us promoted . Commitment in abundance if but a lack of quality at times.

One moan directed at CP, Morrison should have been taken off at HT, I'm sure he was thinking of it before the interval the way Dervite was warming up, he was extremely lucky to stay on the pitch first half and ultimately along with the Pritchard miss has done us today .

Stops the rot!

Agree. Also would add Pritchard shouldnt get too much abuse, he did well except for that one shot.
  • Options
    A decent bit of energy back ....good to see BWP back and staying on his feet with some good moves with Solly and Wilson down the right. Not many refs would have given the penalty particularly as Derby players were going down so easily. having said that Morro was so lucky not to have gone off in the first half, but his first yellow was definitely not worth a booking.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

Bubble said:

Stops the rot!

Agree. Also would add Pritchard shouldnt get too much abuse, he did well except for that one shot.
    Second that , Pritchard ran his socks off
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm pro-Powell and an optimist, but fail to see where this confidence in our mid-table security is coming from - we face a decent Watford team next week, followed by 2 home games with a trip to Blackburn in between. I would be suprised at anything more than 4 points at best from those games on current form. Pretty sure by the end of January we will be right in the thick of a relegation dogfight.
  • Options
    I said it in the match thread but you cannot blame Powell for not taking off our best centre half at half time just because he was on a booking. It's up to Morro not to slide in and give the ref the option to send him off, particularly if the ref has been having as dodgy a game as reports indicate. People love claiming Powell is 'naive' but no-one seems to be saying it was silly for Morro to lose his composure. If the sending off was wrong then it's all the ref. Powell can only send them out to do their jobs. You may as well blame him for not saving the pen either
  • Options
    Great game to watch and our players all dug in. Derby moved the ball very well but we coped and created. Can't say a draw was unfair but with 11 men I think we would have nicked it.

The Haynes goal was a cracker and the move for Prtichard's move sublime.

Quick throw by BH to solly, smart ball inside held up by BWP, fed to Yann who set up Pritch. Lifted it over keeper but an inch too high.

And on such inches do games hinge.

Thought Hamer was very good, Solly and Cort stood out but no one was poor.

Big up Evina and BWP who both put in very good displays (evina made one howler) despite being out injured/in cold for many months.

"Dead wood" anyone?
  • Options

I said it in the match thread but you cannot blame Powell for not taking off our best centre half at half time just because he was on a booking. It's up to Morro not to slide in and give the ref the option to send him off, particularly if the ref has been having as dodgy a game as reports indicate. People love claiming Powell is 'naive' but no-one seems to be saying it was silly for Morro to lose his composure. If the sending off was wrong then it's all the ref. Powell can only send them out to do their jobs. You may as well blame him for not saving the pen either

Is Morrison our best defender then?
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Bit of a roller coaster of emotions.

After 15 minutes thought we would get tanked. Then the euphoria of one of the best goals I've seen at the Valley.

Then we were in the game and BWPs opportunity was unfortunately missed but also Hamer's save from Tyson was excellent.

We started the second half superbly. Stephens and Jackson had decent opportunities and then Pitchard just failing to finish off an excellent move.

The inevitable Morro red card and then the last twenty minutes of backs to the walls. And Hamer producing some wonderful point blank saves.

I am not one to normally castigate refs. I never think they go out to cheat or with an agenda. However, the ref today was abysmal. He reminded me of Phil Dowd...all about him. Comedy moment in the first half when Hamer kicked the ball to the fourth official as it had burst. The ref got shirty and said the ball was fine...till he held it. Then ordered the ball to be changed. Did a whole 'I'm in charge' act.

And whilst Morrison was clearly all over the show today, to book a centre half within ten minutes for a mistimed tackle was ridiculous.

He also missed the handball prior to their penalty and a very obvious foul on Wilson as he broke at the end of the first half.

The players gave it all...interesting that no loan players were in the starting 11 and only Hulse was on the bench. Think it showed in the commitment of the players. Also suspect that Hulse might be going back to QPR very soon.

Two special mentions...one to Hamer who made four or five vital saves and to BWP who not only worked hard but showed some glimpses of real quality.

We will be fine this season...reckon between 12th and 18th is where're should and will finish.
  • Options
    Posting without reading, just got in.
    It is a crying shame if failing to win means the dorks in charge sack Chris Powell, the players gave everything they had for him.
    A far better performance than against Ipswich against one of the best teams we have played down the Valley this season, and really unlucky not to win. Had Pritch not missed that open goal just before their equaliser I think we would have won, however as a resurgent Derby got their pen and scored, weirdly I feel we would have gone on to lose had we 11 players, but Morrow getting sent off and reducing us to 10 gave us a cause to fight for and we got a point.
    The ref did us few favours, but personally I don't think he was that bad, the pen was at the other end so I didn't see what happened. he let Morrow off with a lecture in the first half when I thought it would be two yellows.
    Hamer was outstanding, as was (guess who?) Solly yet again. You might as well not bother to do a vote, because even if Solly goes in the transfer window he will win the player of the year easily.
    The team looked better balanced. Yes Morrow and Cedric had the odd dodgy moment, but as a unit the back five did well.
    Haynes scored a wonder goal, 'nuff said, but BWP had to come on, and he played really well when Haynes got injured. Wilson also got well into the game after a slow start.
    In fact Derby were on top until our goal, but when we scored it seemed to transform things for the rest of the game. A really good game in actual fact, with elemental dramatic weather to go with it.
    POWELL MUST STAY.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Before the doom merchants appear

We prob only deserved a point based on derby performance which I thought was very good

However pritch should have scored to make it 2 nil

We scored the best goal I have seen live ever

We had heart effort and a fair few great individual performances

It shouldn't have been a pen it was hand ball before that

The ball moved in a direction that suggested that mozza got the ball first

He should have been subbed at ht because as I said on half hr this ref was going to send him off

Anyone who says it was a opposite performance needs to understand football and find another past time as it was not

BWP was excellent and a great replacement for Haynes

Cort was immense

JJ had a great game and played some great crosses into the box

Pritch bar the miss was excellent

Hamer kept us in it with so d great saves

More of that and we will win more than we lose
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Is Morrison our best defender then?
    I think he's our best centre half, yes. Better than Taylor and Dervite, more mobile than Cort. Normally a good leader at the back too. I'd say Solly's our best defender but then I think Solly's our best everything
  • Options
    Poor management not to take off Morrison at ht. All amazed where I sit.
    Was back to basics and almost played the L1 winning team.
    BWP must play. Not sure about Kermongant at this level.
    Time to rest Morrison.
    Haynes great goal, but he gets injured too easy to ever make a real impact. IMO
    We look like we will be in a relegation fight.
    What team will play next week, anyones guess.
  • Options
    Entertaining game. I thought we were fortunate to be ahead at half time. We were much better after the goal but a point was the most we deserved. I'm not sure what this result says about our prospects for the rest of the season but I'm still worried.