Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v. Derby County 2012 post-match news & views

Comments

• Options
    So, hands up who would have preferred to bring Dervite on and see us lose?
    Of course I'm not saying this would have happened but it may have. Would all those on here saying Powell ballsed up in not subbing Morrison be saying 'oh well, good decision by Powell seeing as Morrison would have been sent off anyway.'

Well...?
  • Options

valiantphil and others

It is frankly extremely arrogant to suggest that CP - unlike all of us - somehow didn't notice that this ref had it in for Morro. of course we see players getting subbed when on yellow but not at half time, and usually midfielders. If we see the video later and find that it wasn't a penalty, then you owe Chris Powell an apology, as we would otherwise have finished with eleven men and three points.

With respect Prague, I think it just proves the point that the Ref was determined to send him off and duly did so at the very first opportunity. Nothing is certain, but there was a very high probability that Morro would make at least one more foul, and you are not allowed to foul these days without getting booked. Had Morro been playing well, Powell may have been justified, but Morro looked poor from the outset and was also shaky against Ipswich. I don't think it's arrogant at all, it's about anticipation and using common sense.

• Options
    Greenie said:

Off_it said:

Greenie said:

Off_it said:

So, are people seriously advocating that we sub players every time they get booked? Really?

Have a word with yourselves.

No one is but wen u get a ref and the whole stadium can see that morro was gonna go then you make changes if Powell had done that we would have finished with ten men!
    We're you there btw?
    Yes, I was there. Thanks for asking.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
    How is it hindsight when the whole ground could see it was going to happen, except you it would seem???
    Like I said, if that penaltiy turns out to be a bad call, then Chris Powell was right to leave him on, and you'll owe him an apology
  • Options
    Sick of seeing people with zero management experience, or experience of any football at all aside from watching it accuse Powell of being 'naive'. It's unfortunate that Morro got sent off. Sending out your team for an entire 45 minutes without one of your best players because he's on a yellow is idiotic. Dervite would have had to go out and try to get to grips with the game from a standing start and it most likely would have caused far more problems. But because Morro made a mistake Powell is naive. Incredible.
  • Options
    Powell was absolutely correct in leaving our strongest centre back pairing intact. As a manager you expect the referee to act with integrity and you expect your players to understand when they might be on thin ice and react accordingly.
  • Options
    Haynes just said on twitter he's done his hammy
  • Options
    One of the best games of the season - skill & committment from both sets of players and thrilling end-to-end football.

Great goal from Haynes - just shows you want can happen if you shoot..............somebody PLEASE tell that to Kermy as he should have shot when BWP played him in & not pass it to Pritchard. Not blaming Pritch that his shot hit the bar - bloke was all over the pitch and gradually becoming my POTS.

Thought that Morro was set to go during the 1st half and no surprise when a second yellow appeared. Just seen the pen on Sky and looks like Morro got the ball first...........are we ever going to get a decent ref ???

Better shape to the side and it hadn't occurred to me that there were no loanees in the team until I just read it on here - perhaps that is part of the answer ??

However - Watford is going to be tough & i don't expect anything from the game (still going though) - 2nd half of the season shows that we have to play all the top teams away, so if we are going to stay up we will have to rely on our home form, which currently isn't good.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Prague, have not seen or heard any interview with Powell, but you can often tell a lot from his voice and body language/facial expression. Hope you didn't see a man waiting for the chop, I know you'll agree with me that he must stay.
    No new manager is going to get the team giving it all for him/(her?) the way the 10 did to see out the game.
    If TJ et al sack Chris Powell, we will have lost 50% of the positive life force within our club.

Pretty much what I said on another thread after Boxing Day, Seth.

Doesn't sound as though there will be money to spend in the window ( unless our POTY is sacrificed for the good of the team) so A N Other incumbent wouldn't have his own team to manage. Can't see the lads giving their all for anyone but SCP especially with no money to purchase replacements.

So pleased to see the players bounce back from the X rated display against Ipswich( who I see won again today) Solly, Pritch, Wilson & Haynes - 10/10 but very impressed with Ceddy's return & felt Morro was harshly treated by the pillock in the yellow. Really hope we appeal & get him back in for NYD. As for Hamer....11/10 & some great goalkeeping skills on show today.

It's abundantly clear to 99% of us fans that SCP must see the season out , keep us in this division ( which he will) and hope to have some funds for next summer to top up the squad.What the gaffer does have is the backing of the fans & the players who would do pretty much anything for the main man . Today showed that after 3 defeats which would have put most Champ teams on the back foot today. That spirit would be seriously dimmed to the detriment of all concerned if TJ decides to "twist" rather than "stick" .....and we all know what could happen then in the card game...

• Options
    I think someone as hacked Golfies account!
  • Options
    We cannot appeal Morrison's sending off as it was for two yellows. Yellow cards cannot be appealed, only reds.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    shamkat said:

Got the run around for the first 20 minutes but then settled OK after Haynes strike. Gutted for him, he looked near to tears as he went off. BWP did really well, unlucky with the goal chance. BWP of last year would have scored (well BWP from the first half of last season anyway).

Pritchard's miss aside, didn't think we were in any trouble in the 2nd half until Morro's sending off then we dropped deep and it was backs to the wall stuff.

Can't work out SCPs substitutions though. Stephens for Dervite didn't offer much (but neither did Stephens throughout the match). Wilson & BWP ending up out of position and then Fuller, WTF, the guy can score no doubt but he gave nothing when he came on, apart from free kicks away. Has no pace and had no intention of putting a shift in IMO. Gave lazy passes and offered 9 men no support.

Thought he got the subs right. Had to bring Dervite on to replace Morrison. Obvious man to take off was BWP, but that would've been very harsh. Needed to keep a big man on as an outlet, so swapped Kerm for Fuller. Fuller, more than Hulse, can create a goal from nothing in a backs to the wall period of defending.
  • Options

We cannot appeal Morrison's sending off as it was for two yellows. Yellow cards cannot be appealed, only reds.

Yes I was wondering about this, but I only saw the ref brandish a straight red. But by then I was seeing red, so I could be mistaken.

• Options
    Everyone near me thought Morro was coming off at HT.
    Hamer and Pritchard were stand out performers today
    What a different threat we are with Haynes down the middle.
  • Options

Yes I was wondering about this, but I only saw the ref brandish a straight red. But by then I was seeing red, so I could be mistaken.

I may be wrong...perhaps it was a straight red. Anyone clarify?

• Options

Greenie said:

Off_it said:

Greenie said:

Off_it said:

So, are people seriously advocating that we sub players every time they get booked? Really?

No one is but wen u get a ref and the whole stadium can see that morro was gonna go then you make changes if Powell had done that we would have finished with ten men!
    We're you there btw?

How is it hindsight when the whole ground could see it was going to happen, except you it would seem???
    Like I said, if that penaltiy turns out to be a bad call, then Chris Powell was right to leave him on, and you'll owe him an apology
    Not really. Bad call by the ref but a call he did make and probably would make again, Morrison would still have been off one way or the other. Morrison did nothing wrong but a second booking was near enough inevitable. Powell probably agreed with neither booking, but sticking to principles cost us arguably our best centre back for twenty minutes today and against watford next time out.
  • Options

I may be wrong...perhaps it was a straight red. Anyone clarify?

He definitely showed him a second yellow before the red - although he pulled the red out first and held it in his hand while he fished for the yellow.

Couldn't tell from where I was whether it was a pen or not.
  • Options

Greenie said:

Off_it said:

Greenie said:

Off_it said:

We're you there btw?

No it doesn't! The ref was gonna send Morro off, one way or the other! Morro was late for the first foul some refs book some dont! Morro kept diving in The ref even warned morro! I've seen the pen on sky one of those that are 50/50 cos he followed through he went! Powell should have subbed him, remember when we had Song from Arse he was a bit too up for it one game and the ref had a word with Pardew and Pardew subbed Song! We didn't have a ref that was gonna do that but our manager should have responded to the warning that morro got he didn't and I don't owe Powell an apology!
  • Options
    It's Powell's fault Morrison got sent off.
    It's Powell's fault Haynes done his hamstring.
    It's Powel's fault it rained.

Have I missed anything?
  • Options
    Off_it said:

It's Powell's fault Morrison got sent off.
    It's Powell's fault Haynes done his hamstring.
    It's Powel's fault it rained.

Have I missed anything?

He probably could have saved the penalty if he'd tried harder. Naive.
  • Options
    It was powells fault Haynes scored a worldy

It was powells fault Hamer made worldy saves

It was powells fault BWP played so well

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Don't think anyone can be aggrieved at seeing Morrison get sent off. The ref warned him and even told Jacko that Morrison was sailing close to the wind and the fact that he came out for the second half surprised me. Credit due to Morro though as he was brilliant in the second half but I would have preferred him to have been subbed at half time purely because he was giving away so many free kicks. Thought we were much better today apart from the first 15 minutes when we looked like a bunch of strangers on the pitch. Soon as Haynes scored we woke up from our slumber and gave them a game. Pritch was everywhere and could have topped off a great performance with a goal had the bloody bar not been in the way. Another plus point was seeing Evina back in. Looked a little bit rusty early on but grew in stature as the game wore on. Overall an improvement on the boxing day disaster, just a shame we couldn't finish them off. And how crap was their drummer?!
  • Options
    Can I ask whether anyone saw Slater and Jiminez there today. I can normally spot them in the crowd but couldn't today.
  • Options
    edited December 2012

I also thought of that incident with Alex Song when the ref was lecturing Morro at the end of the first half. I think Mark Halsey was the Ref that day. Powell is now admitting that he thought of taking Morro off before half time and told Morro at half time to take extra care in the second half. You can't expect defenders to pull out of tackles just because they are on a yellow, if Powell was that worried he should have negated the probability by removing Morro, it's not like Morro was playing a blinder!

• Options
    Had to miss the game due to a very bad cold. Sounds like a step up in performance from Ipswich and a point stops the losing run. Also positives in BWPs performance as well as the usual good games from Hamer, Solly and Wilson. Feeling more positive about our prospects at Watford now.
  • Options

It was powells fault Haynes scored a worldy

It was powells fault Hamer made worldy saves

It was powells fault BWP played so well

Wash your mouth out - we'll have none of that talk here!
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    "In hindsight you can say he should have come off, but you have to show faith and trust in players. They get booked normally in games and you carry on with them."

An honest, as always, response from Powell.
  • Options
    Sorry

It was powells fault we played with a bit of pride

It was powells fault the team tried

It was powells fault that the rain didn't come

I aimt got the hang of this have I ?
  • Options
    As I said earlier, hindsight is a wonderful thing.
  • Options
    Morro was 'lucky' not to be sent off in the first half, if you accept the type of referee he was, which was harsh and pernickity, thus it was no great surprise that a player like Morro, who tends to dive in, would pick up a second yellow. At half time, most of us felt he should have been subbed.

Derby deserved a point - they had 16 corners - but it's still frustrating, if Pritchard had taken that chance, we would probably have been clear.

It's interesting/worrying that 10 of the starting 11 were from last season's squad.
  • Options
    Credit to Powell for dropping Frimpong, Seabourne and to a lesser extent Green. Also for moving Haynes into the middle and starting with Pritchard. I do wonder however, why the hell Pritchard was ever dropped in the first place!