Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v. Derby County 2012 post-match news & views

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2012
    decent performance, decent game.

Haynes' goal was stunning.

Hamer outstanding. Pleasantly surprised by BWP's performance, really looked up for it, showed quality & pace and looked a threat.

Unfortunately, game changed on Pritchard's miss...that goes in, all over.

No loans in starting 11.
  • Options
    See I disagree, I think Cort's overall play and reading of the game more than makes up for a supposed lack of mobility. Morrison is too rash and gives away too many fouls, has now got 7/8 yellow cards and recently has made costly mistakesmistakes that ultimately have lost us points. Dervite and Cort should start at Watford (they kept a clean sheet at Millwall) and personally I would keep Morrison on the bench until one of them loses form
  • Options
    Very proud of the boys today. Terrible first 20minutes but haynes pulled out our goal of the season and after that we pushed on. Started second half well and shouldve killed it. Pritchard made a real difference for us i love that boy. Was gutted when his effort didnt go in, he set himself well and wouldve made my day him getting the clincher. His workrate is second to none.

Bwp was also superb when he came on and deserves real credit for that. He does so much good stuff but his decision making / execution at the last is what stops him being a quality striker in this division. He shouldve taken another touch at the end and picked fuller out rather than trying to flash it across the face.

Hamer. Simply MoM. That double save was Kiely-esque. Earnt us the point.

One big mistake from powell was not taking morrison off at half time. He was just going to get sent off. If he d replaced him we still couldve won the game after the pen with 11men.

Very relieved at the end but also gutted and frustrated. But exciting game and proud.
  • Options
    Played very well 2nd half up until the ref had had enough of Derby losing. Very unlucky not to win with Pritchard missing from 4 yards out. The lack of luck continues..
  • Options
    Very good team display, commitment and a lot of skilful moments.
    Terrific display by Haynes and such a great goal.
    So pleased to see good performance by BWP.
    Whole team went for it, and many good individual displays.
    Re-affirmed my belief, no way are we relegation contenders ... I'm still convinced we will have a top-half table finish.
    Well done Charlton.
  • Options
    The ref was there at 9 am to do a pitch inspection! Clearly not going to give us anything all day, either absoloutly useless or a cheat imho.
  • Options
    I yearn for the day that I leave the Valley thinking "The referee had a good game". It seems that possession of a football whilst wearing a red shirt is now a foul.

Hamer made some cracking saves to keep us in it. Solly was fantastic as ever and is almost certainly the best crosser of the ball we have. Stephens was awful and it was only a shame that it took a sending off to get him off the pitch. Didn't think Morro's yellow card was even a foul, let alone a booking but from that moment on it was obvious that Morro was not going to finish the game on the pitch and I cannot believe that SCP couldn't see that. Thought Haynes was having a great game until his injury and his goal was sublime. Kermogant fairly quiet but was getting constantly blocked off by Derby players so I'm not surprised. Wilson got better as the game went on. BWP played well but he needed to score and still not sure he will be a regular in the squad.

Not surprised that Seabiscuit didn't make the squad but quite surprised that Frimpong wasn't even on the bench. Would have liked Waggy to come on late in the game to give us some energy and an outlet.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

See I disagree, I think Cort's overall play and reading of the game more than makes up for a supposed lack of mobility. Morrison is too rash and gives away too many fouls, has now got 7/8 yellow cards and recently has made costly mistakesmistakes that ultimately have lost us points. Dervite and Cort should start at Watford (they kept a clean sheet at Millwall) and personally I would keep Morrison on the bench until one of them loses form

Dervite got turned inside out twice by N'Gog vs Bolton when he was partnering Cort so it would have been a very strange decision to keep him in ahead of Morrison who has been a key player in the strongest part of our team for a long time now
  • Options
    Haynes scored an absolute belter. It was totally against the run of play. That seemed tosettle us and we had a decent spell.

Said it at HT that Morrison was a red card waiting to happen.

Pritchards miss was a shocker and was ultimately the turning point in the game.

Hamer won us a point imo.

Again I've seen an oppo team who are more comfortable on the ball and pass it better.

Personally think a lack of goals is going to hurt us.

As for Boyson? Jesus wept what a clown.
  • Options
    Ben Hamer was the dogs dangly bits today. Top display, not seen many better from our keepers.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thought we were on the wrong end of too many decisions today. I didn't see a foul for the penalty, let alone another yellow card.

Having said that, we should have been out of sight by then if both the Bradleys had taken their chances
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    With 11 men I think we would have won that. I had haynes fgs and us 1-0 but was still obviously hoping we would get the second.

Was impressed with the way derby kept it on the deck, even at 1-0 down. We even played some decent stuff at times on the floor.

Powell made the correct decision bringing bwp on when haynes went off. Although thought it was harsh to drop hulse.

Thought stephens and pritch done well in the centre and wilson has become a massive favourite of mine. Hamer pulled off some brilliant stops today especially the double one in the 2nd half
  • Options
    Entertaining game and a much improved performance .
    No square pegs in round holes . Ref was bloody dreadful .
    The team looked much like the one that got us promoted and no loan signings stinking the place out . ( good riddance Fringpong )
    The goal was amazing . Probably one of the best I have ever seen at The Valley.
  • Options
    Got the run around for the first 20 minutes but then settled OK after Haynes strike. Gutted for him, he looked near to tears as he went off. BWP did really well, unlucky with the goal chance. BWP of last year would have scored (well BWP from the first half of last season anyway).

Pritchard's miss aside, didn't think we were in any trouble in the 2nd half until Morro's sending off then we dropped deep and it was backs to the wall stuff.

Can't work out SCPs substitutions though. Stephens for Dervite didn't offer much (but neither did Stephens throughout the match). Wilson & BWP ending up out of position and then Fuller, WTF, the guy can score no doubt but he gave nothing when he came on, apart from free kicks away. Has no pace and had no intention of putting a shift in IMO. Gave lazy passes and offered 9 men no support.
  • Options

sam3110 said:

I said it in the match thread but you cannot blame Powell for not taking off our best centre half at half time just because he was on a booking. It's up to Morro not to slide in and give the ref the option to send him off, particularly if the ref has been having as dodgy a game as reports indicate. People love claiming Powell is 'naive' but no-one seems to be saying it was silly for Morro to lose his composure. If the sending off was wrong then it's all the ref. Powell can only send them out to do their jobs. You may as well blame him for not saving the pen either

Is Morrison our best defender then?
    I think he's our best centre half, yes. Better than Taylor and Dervite, more mobile than Cort. Normally a good leader at the back too. I'd say Solly's our best defender but then I think Solly's our best everything
    I agree with you Garry. I too said at halftime that Morro would not finish the game, but that does not mean the manager should be intimidated into subbing our best cb, and deputy captain, just because some no-mark ref has it in for him.

Fully agree with sirjohnhumphrey too on the ref's other dire mistakes, and that he was a look at me ref. Wilson was so incensed he had a go at the ref both at half and full time. The ref fully deserved to walk off with boos ringing around his ears. if it turns out not to be a penalty, we need to appeal Morro' s card.

As for the rest, a much improved performance on Boxing Day, but Derby were a better team too, very slick passing and movement. Gutted for and about Haynes, but as others have said, BWP did well when he came on. only the second time I've seen Wilson, great player, so much more energy in midfield with him there. Agree with above about Pritch, don't be hard on him, it was a mm away from being a goal.

feels like a win. Mid table at best with this squad, but I'd take that, and would have done in August. the problem is, we don't think TJ will take that, like all the other mad trigger happy owners in this division who want to make a profit on getting into the prem. CP in interview quite downbeat about the window, talked only of wheeling and dealing. He could of course be bluffing, but his voice didn't sound like that was his game.

• Options
    Must admit i feared the worst after the pen and the morrison sending off, but at least we battled for an important point. Obviously the pritchard miss was the turning point, but at least we got something out of the game. Couldn't see if it was a pen from where i was, although another dodgy ref as far as i am concerned.
  • Options
    Prague, have not seen or heard any interview with Powell, but you can often tell a lot from his voice and body language/facial expression. Hope you didn't see a man waiting for the chop, I know you'll agree with me that he must stay.
    No new manager is going to get the team giving it all for him/(her?) the way the 10 did to see out the game.
    If TJ et al sack Chris Powell, we will have lost 50% of the positive life force within our club.
  • Options
    As others have said, myself and others around me all agreed one or another Morrison would not see out the 90 minutes. After the ref changed his mind about a second yellow the first time, one Derby player clearly told Tyson to go for Morro specifically and try and get him sent off. Not that I will castigate Powell for not taking him off, the half-time whistle seemed to settle Morro's nerves and the sending off was a joke.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Nobody will be more upset about Pritchard's miss than he will himself. You could see how gutted he was. As an aside did anyone see the bit in the programme about him running nine miles in the game against Wolves? Apparently the most ground covered in any game in the top three divisions since January 2011!
  • Options
    If we didn't know it before we do now, we have the best keeper in this division, outstanding today. Team showed guts & good work rate today but I felt that we needed a second to win it as Derby looked dangerous throughout; just couldn't convert any of our 3 great chances to go 2 up and it cost us in the end.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    How did the Ref give a corner? when hamer was booked for kicking the ball towards the corner, he was half way between the half way line and the penalty area so could not see if the ball had crossed the goal line, his assistant did not flag for a corner, worse ref we have had this season made no allowance for the conditions.
  • Options
    Thought BWP was brilliant today
  • Options
    Think Powell is safe for now. Do however think he might need more than three points out of the next tricky three games. He certainly can't get any more out of this group of players.
  • Options
    Few points, BWP feckin superb, Hamer great shot stopping few times he punched when could of caught.Fuller is a lazy c**t who I won't be upset if he never wears a Charlton shirt again. He has been on the pitch 5 mins gives a ball to Wilson and stands there doesn't make a forward run, leaves Wilson with 3 players around him, which results in us losing the ball, and being on the back foot again. WANKER
  • Options
    Fucking love that stat about pritchard. Out of this world.
  • Options
    Wasn't there, as had to cancel nephew's Xmas treat due to chest infection but not sure I agree with Morro view. If as has been said, ref was poor, why should CP pander to ref's ego by subbing player? Different if Morro was having a mare or losing his cool. Keep faith in our guy and slag him in refs report, tv replays will undermine man in black.
  • Options

Wasn't there, as had to cancel nephew's Xmas treat due to chest infection but not sure I agree with Morro view. If as has been said, ref was poor, why should CP pander to ref's ego by subbing player? Different if Morro was having a mare or losing his cool. Keep faith in our guy and slag him in refs report, tv replays will undermine man in black.

Agree with that in principle, but I was there and it was so obvious the ref wanted to be centre stage (the big I am will do anything to get noticed). Basically was a cheat & was always going to send Morro off. Plus Derby were trying to get him sent off because they knew as well!

• Options
    edited December 2012

sam3110 said:

I said it in the match thread but you cannot blame Powell for not taking off our best centre half at half time just because he was on a booking. It's up to Morro not to slide in and give the ref the option to send him off, particularly if the ref has been having as dodgy a game as reports indicate. People love claiming Powell is 'naive' but no-one seems to be saying it was silly for Morro to lose his composure. If the sending off was wrong then it's all the ref. Powell can only send them out to do their jobs. You may as well blame him for not saving the pen either

Is Morrison our best defender then?
    I think he's our best centre half, yes. Better than Taylor and Dervite, more mobile than Cort. Normally a good leader at the back too. I'd say Solly's our best defender but then I think Solly's our best everything
    I agree with you Garry. I too said at halftime that Morro would not finish the game, but that does not mean the manager should be intimidated into subbing our best cb, and deputy captain, just because some no-mark ref has it in for him.

Fully agree with sirjohnhumphrey too on the ref's other dire mistakes, and that he was a look at me ref. Wilson was so incensed he had a go at the ref both at half and full time. The ref fully deserved to walk off with boos ringing around his ears. if it turns out not to be a penalty, we need to appeal Morro' s card.

As for the rest, a much improved performance on Boxing Day, but Derby were a better team too, very slick passing and movement. Gutted for and about Haynes, but as others have said, BWP did well when he came on. only the second time I've seen Wilson, great player, so much more energy in midfield with him there. Agree with above about Pritch, don't be hard on him, it was a mm away from being a goal.

feels like a win. Mid table at best with this squad, but I'd take that, and would have done in August. the problem is, we don't think TJ will take that, like all the other mad trigger happy owners in this division who want to make a profit on getting into the prem. CP in interview quite downbeat about the window, talked only of wheeling and dealing. He could of course be bluffing, but his voice didn't sound like that was his game.

I was at the Ipswich game and I know that it has been said many times before but my source told me beforehand that TJ's one and only aim this season is consolidation in the Championship (in fact it was pointed out to me that the board know that the current crop of players is no where near capable of challenging for the play-offs).

Next season is all about pushing for promotion to the Prem so if there are funds made available don't expect anything major until this season finished.

Incidentally I sat a few rows from the directors box and the only notable persons I spotted were Paul Elliott, Trevor Brooking (and his wife) and a couple who looked liked they could be Nigerian).

Fk
  • Options
    No loan players, Evina and Wilson back, Haynes on fire - what a difference?!
  • Options
    I like the way Prague says "we" like we are all panicking gullible fools