Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v. Derby County 2012 post-match news & views

Comments

• Options

Sick of seeing people with zero management experience, or experience of any football at all aside from watching it accuse Powell of being 'naive'. It's unfortunate that Morro got sent off. Sending out your team for an entire 45 minutes without one of your best players because he's on a yellow is idiotic. Dervite would have had to go out and try to get to grips with the game from a standing start and it most likely would have caused far more problems. But because Morro made a mistake Powell is naive. Incredible.

You don't know anything about me, so why generalise about my management experience or football experience ?

Just like the assumptions that Dervite has to start a match in order to be successful, and other speculation that we "would have lost with Dervite on for Morro at HT"

Most odd.
  • Options
    It was powells fault that no loanees played

It was powells fault we didn't lose

Spose I have to add it was his fat we didn't win
  • Options

Sick of seeing people with zero management experience, or experience of any football at all aside from watching it accuse Powell of being 'naive'. It's unfortunate that Morro got sent off. Sending out your team for an entire 45 minutes without one of your best players because he's on a yellow is idiotic. Dervite would have had to go out and try to get to grips with the game from a standing start and it most likely would have caused far more problems. But because Morro made a mistake Powell is naive. Incredible.

You don't know anything about me, so why generalise about my management experience or football experience ?

Just like the assumptions that Dervite has to start a match in order to be successful, and other speculation that we "would have lost with Dervite on for Morro at HT"

Most odd.
    Where do I say '"would have lost with Dervite on for Morro at HT"? You've quoted me on something I didn't say. Which doesn't really work when the quote is right there. I apologise for generalising about your footballing experience. I can only assume from this that you are a successful football manager. My mistake. I will add though, I wasn't directing my comment at you personally, even if you are one of the ones who called him naive.
  • Options

Most odd.
    I' m willing to bet that you have neither played nor managed at professional level...

Of course it is absurd to assert that we would have lost if Dervite had come on at half time. However as someone above pointed out, it would have been risky.

CP may well have calculated that the referee was not in fact irrationally intent on sending Morro off, and that things would even themselves out in the second half. turns out that the ref was a complete and utter twonk, but if you want to keep digging Chris out for giving the ref the benefit of the doubt, I suppose that's your opinion, and nobody's going to change it.
  • Options
    A real gritty performance today especially after going down to 10 men. A shame though we couldn't do what Watford and Huddersfield did to us when similarly handicapped but saying that Derby are a good side.

Haynes goal was quality and its really sad that the hamstring has failed him once again. Let's hope he's not out too long.

Another game ruined by ref Boyeson- some Addicks will remember his performance at Huddersfield last season where he gave them a dodgy pen, sent off Russell and failed to take any action after Waggy was almost cut in two by Anthony Kay. Still you rarely get two bad refs in consecutive games so lets see who we have for the Watford game.........oh no, it's Trevor Kettle!!!!!!!
  • Options
    BPs miss was obviously the turning point, but Derby deserved the draw IMO.
    Entertaining game and all the lads gave 100% for CP.
    Pritchard's miss should not detract from his overall performance - he is one of the most committed performers you could wish to see in a Charlton shirt.
    Hamer was brilliant and I hope to God we don't lose him in Jan.
    Ref was shocking, but we have to get used to that. We are not going to get anything this season - we are Charlton, not one of the MASSIVE teams that get the big decisions.
    Overall we must take heart from that performance against a good Derby team.
  • Options
    CP picked a team of battlers today, plus Stephens our pass master.
    Totally outplayed for the first twenty odd minutes. We could not seem to hold onto the ball. Lucky not to go a goal or two down but Hamer was sublime.
    After Haynes smashed home his wonder goal we played well. BWP nearly scored but he always seems to lose out in the one on one's (a bit like Lisbie).
    After the sending off I though CP made some good changes. We had to keep a striker on just in case we lost a goal which looked highly likely with twenty minutes to go.
    Wilson seemed to take turns with Pritch to do the demon running in the middle. They both played great and kept two or three of the Rams tied up. Great fitness.
    I think Hamer won us the point by making several exceptional saves.
    Plus points were Evina playing well (apart from one terrible howler) and BWP who played terrific. Perhaps we should offer him a new contract if he can play in this spirited manner.
  • Options
    mart77 said:

Can I ask whether anyone saw Slater and Jiminez there today. I can normally spot them in the crowd but couldn't today.

Slater was there. I saw him stand up and clap Haynes as he went off.
  • Options
    Cheers Clem.
  • Options
    am i the only one who saw it that the ref didn't wanna send morrison off hence when he reached for his yellow in the first half and realised he'd already booked him that he nutdowned the yellow and just gave him a talking to ......
    to me that seemed like he DIDN't want to send him off
    and i've just watched a replay of morrisons challenge and unless the ball flicks his lace and doesn't change direction at all he hasn't touched that ball at all and it was a clumsy shit challenge that was a penalty and a deserved 2nd yellow
    morrison is a great battler but our defence is troubled by anyone with pace running at them , i've just seen the Watford goals at Brighton and i'm worried, although morrison not being available may be a small blessing in disguise
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

It was powells fault that no loanees played

It was powells fault we didn't lose

Spose I have to add it was his fat we didn't win

Is "his fat" the same as "my bad", NLA ?

• Options
    It's the spelling of a man drinking far too much cider over Xmas
  • Options
    Two minor fouls, neither of which were worthy of a booking and yet Morro came within a whisker of getting his marching orders in the first half. That was a very ominous sign of what was coming, but the warning wasn't heeded.
  • Options

It's the spelling of a man drinking far too much cider over Xmas

You celebrating next Xmas already ?

Good man !

• Options
    edited December 2012
    much improved performance and the plaudits go to Hamer , Solly and Haynes for pure ability and class and Pritch Wilson and BWP for sheer graft and endeavour

we didn't get a sniff till Haynes reem goal cutting in from the wing and letting one rip

and up till the penalty, which was one imo, i thought we were pretty much in control but that all changed things and we were hanging on at the end although BWP may have done better when he failed to slide the ball across to Fuller near the end

thought our support was very good vocally considering the poor performances that have been dished out

can't see past (without new additions) a bottom half finish and more than likely we will get drawn in to a scrap down the bottom , 3 points from 6 games is awful and i can't see where a win will come from , all the fixtures now look ugly but that can all change , fingers crossed

0% top 6 ...... 15% a 7th-12th finish..... 65% 13th -21st ..... 20% RELEGATION
  • Options
    Ain't stopped from this one yet
  • Options
    Zzzzzzzz_zzz
  • Options
    Great game and a cracking goal against the run. Knocked the stuffing out of them for a while. BWP was excellant and has given Powell something to think about selection wise. Adraw was a fair result. They were the more better passing team but we showed a lot of desire and guts today and we earned our point.
  • Options
    What a superb goal from Haynes. He looked a real threat playing down the middle and it was a shame, that he has such dodgy hamstrings. BWP played well. He paired well with KMG, and they at least looked as they knew what eachother's game was about. BWP had some pace and held the ball up well. I would stick with BWP with KMG for the next game.

My brother predicted that Morrisson would get sent off at half time. It is easy to say with hindsight that Morrisson should have been substituted but with the way that the referee was going, it should have been considered. Especially as he was the same rubbish ref against Huddersfield away last season. The Derby No.6 was similarly booked and then warned by the ref. Near the end, he pulled over a Charlton player on the goal line, but it was on the blind side of the ref and got away with it, when he should have been booked, sent off and Charlton got a penalty. Derby played the referee much better and got away with multiple pushes, fouls. The referee was shockingly inconsistent and poor.

Fuller showed a shocking lack of energy and drive when he came onto the pitch.

Evina was good after a slow start. Great to see a proper left back playing at left back for a change. Wilson and Solly were great and Hamer made some brilliant saves.

An entertaining game. Shame Pritchard did not finish off a great move to make it 2 -0 but I don't want to be critical of him. He shows excellent attitude. In the second, he missed the ball with an air shot but got straight back at the derby defender, won the ball and won a free kick in a dangerous position. Derby were tidy in possession and passing. Better quality football this year.

Lets hope that Chris Powell is given some money to strengthen in the Jan transfer window - not just hit and miss loans, and on the way down premiership players, or injury prone players.
  • Options
    I followed the game on the match thread about 2 hours after it finished. Very disappointed with only 1 point. The first 20 minutes sounded a bit dodgy but after the Haynes goal we sounded in control. The sending off did us though and I think CP should be blamed for that. He is the manager and should be able to read the emotions of the referee, his players and the general tempo of the game. I think there was a bloody good chance that Morro was going to see a second yellow and Chris should have preempted that. Many lifers on the match thread said that at HT. There was Dervite on the bench and Chris should have the confidence to use his subs. 2 points dropped after we had got ourselves in a good position in my opinion.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rob said:

I followed the game on the match thread about 2 hours after it finished. Very disappointed with only 1 point. The first 20 minutes sounded a bit dodgy but after the Haynes goal we sounded in control. The sending off did us though and I think CP should be blamed for that. He is the manager and should be able to read the emotions of the referee, his players and the general tempo of the game. I think there was a bloody good chance that Morro was going to see a second yellow and Chris should have preempted that. Many lifers on the match thread said that at HT. There was Dervite on the bench and Chris should have the confidence to use his subs. 2 points dropped after we had got ourselves in a good position in my opinion.

you weren't there so you won't have appreciated how good Derby were today. We were under the cosh from 55-65 mins and we needed our best defenders out there.

As Chris said, the turning point was actually Pritch missing an open goal, unfortunately.

Anyway, we will soon hopefully get a clear view of the penalty, and as I have said to the other armchair managers, if that turns out not to be a pen, then you owe Chris an apology

• Options
    Powell had to sub Haynes just before HT so that must have been a factor in deciding whether or not to keep Morrison on. Noticeably Clough had the same dilemma as Powell as their no. 6 was given a long talking-to by the ref after a second possible booking and he chose not to take him off as well.
  • Options
    Just seen it and I don't think it's a pen. Morro got the ball and guided it out. No manager can predict that the referee will be so useless so often
  • Options
    And another thing. Even if it was a foul, which I dispute, how can that possibly be a yellow card offence?

At the least, we should have refs in front of the cameras answering such questions, as happens in Spain.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Belatedly posting without reading as usual.

Overall impression delight and relief at getting something out of the game as I simply couldn't see it until Haynes' wonder goal. Until that goal the midfield may as well have not been there for all the influence they exerted on the game. I'd go as far as saying that Derby looked the best side I've seen this season for that 20-25 minutes or so. Then a moment of sheer brilliance from Haynes and the confidence visibly drained from the Derby players as our players grew in belief.

I feel so desperately sorry for Haynes. I posted, with hindsight a cheap shot, that he would probably pull a hamstring opening his Christmas presents and it was distressing to see his obvious frustration today in the immediate aftermath of the injury.

The referee was awful and inconsistent in his application of yellow cards which ultimately cost poor Morro, 20 minutes with 10 men is another reason I was delighted to get something from the game.

Pritchard worked his wotsits off and it's such a shame he missed that chance. Doubtless when I read the rest of this and other threads he will be slagged off and, I suppose, in the context of the game his miss cost us but equally his hard work and industry kept us in it.

At least we stopped the rot and are still two wins above the bottom three.

Onwards and upwards as a certain Man City fan might say.
  • Options
    Yes, of course we could all see Morrison getting sent off......in hindsight...after the game has finished....

Had he subbed him off at half time and we had conceded then the majority on here would have gone absolutely ballistic at Powell.
  • Options
    Having seen the pen decision I can understand why the ref gave it, even if it were a dodgy decision. I don't think Morrison should have been subbed at half time but by 70 mins it probably should have happened. CP has said that he considered it, but it sounds like he left the decision up to the player. It is all very well telling Morrison to be careful, but if you feel that the ref is poor and looking to make his mark then you cannot rely on the player being careful. Still we got a point and maybe that is a new foundation from which to go into 2013.

As an aside, no one has mentioned the Derby fans celebration of the goal which included knocking over a steward and giving him "a good kicking". Someone was taken away. although I am not sure it was the person who was doing the assault.
  • Options

Just seen it and I don't think it's a pen. Morro got the ball and guided it out.

Seriously ??
    Guided it where ? In the same direction it was going by not touching it .....

After watching again and again on TV replay
    I saw the ball played across the box and as it went past the Derby player and morro it continued in the same direction across the box low and with a skiddy bounce across the pitch
    and the only connection I saw there was Morrison taking the Derby players legs and not the ball unless it hit a long stray hair from his leg or a bootllace without any deviation in direction

How did others see it , I'll watch again to check I'm not going mad(der)

• Options
    thought fuller was a poor substitution, derby thought we'd gone down to nine men
  • Options

Spanish said:

Great goal, poor ref, Morrison showed a lack of discipline , would like to see it again though , wasn't sure it was a foul . Just the worry of how long is Haynes gone. Oh well...

ISWT blimey mate - he must have been bad if he was worse than that mug a week ago ! We gotta get some lady luck soon, surely ?

Did you go today mate ? Having been to both I can safely say today's was worse!

Nah... Going Tuesday tho. Having seen Watford demolish BHA it doesn't bode we'll!!