Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v. Derby County 2012 post-match news & views

Comments

• Options

Nobody will be more upset about Pritchard's miss than he will himself. You could see how gutted he was. As an aside did anyone see the bit in the programme about him running nine miles in the game against Wolves? Apparently the most ground covered in any game in the top three divisions since January 2011!

Brilliant.

• Options
    in the end was a good point most important thing was to take something from the game.thought hamer was superb would like to see bwp given a run in the side thought he was good when he came on
  • Options

Just seen it and I don't think it's a pen. Morro got the ball and guided it out.

Seriously ??
    Guided it where ? In the same direction it was going by not touching it .....

After watching again and again on TV replay
    I saw the ball played across the box and as it went past the Derby player and morro it continued in the same direction across the box low and with a skiddy bounce across the pitch
    and the only connection I saw there was Morrison taking the Derby players legs and not the ball unless it hit a long stray hair from his leg or a bootllace without any deviation in direction

How did others see it , I'll watch again to check I'm not going mad(der)

Morro was in front of their player who was pushing him, but you're right, MM brought him down with the back of his calves. Blatant push on Stevo to allow ball to get that far.
  • Options
    Also BP chance, ball too close to him so hard for decent swing. Hardly open goal as keeper dived simultaneously.
  • Options
    If that challenge had been made my a Derby defender on a Charlton forward in the County area who would honestly say they wouldn't be screaming for a penalty? It's a very risky challenge to make inside your own penalty area especially on a yellow card. I cannot tell if he won the ball or not but the replay shows no deviation in the direction of the ball and he is tackling from the wrong side ie having to go through the player to get the ball. If the ref deems the challenge to be reckless then it's yellow.
  • Options
    You are all forgetting the blatant handball from gamers clearance 5 seconds before that ball came back into the box

It shouldn't have been a pen because any ref worth his salt not the useless sorry excuse for officials we have been served up with this season

Should have seen it
  • Options
    Can only comment on what I've seen and seeing as I wasn't at the game I can only comment on what was shown on the FL show.
  • Options
    I still think Chrissy Powell is a legend and will take us on the better days but he made a big error yesterday that has to be mentioned. Morro was mistiming tackles in the first half and he was booked and got a very stern talking to from the ref. This is the ref giving the manager a message that the player needs to be taken off.

If we were losing and Sir Chis needed to retain attacking change options- fair enough, if Morro was having a good game - fair enough, if it was a striker or wide man -fair enough. But there was absolutely no reason at 1-0 up to take the not inconsiderable risk of keeping himn on the pitch.

Whether Morrow got the ball or the man for the pen was immaterial. The ref was ready to send him off for the slightest foul and he was vulnerable. Dervite is a decent player and it would not have compromised the team for him to have come on for the second half. in fact, the fact that Morro wasn't having his best game- it probably would have improved us. Poor judgement from the manager cost us 2 points.

But having said all that - he is learning and lessons have to be learned the hard way sometimes. I'm sure he will be a better manager for this.

BTW, BWP was excellent bar getting a goal - Derbt couldn't handle his pace, skill and movement. Would like to see more of BWP and Fuller together now Haynes is out for a bit.
  • Options
    Well being at my Mums I couldn't replay the FLS edit, so I should probably defer to oohaah if he has replayed it several times. thanks to Spankie for the refs viewpoint, and of course I dont accept that it was reckless at all, but I am not surprised that this is how the ref saw it. Another aspect of his decision making was the total failure to allow for conditions. I didn't see the handball leading up to the incident but Chris P certainly did.
  • Options
    edited December 2012

Also BP chance, ball too close to him so hard for decent swing. Hardly open goal as keeper dived simultaneously.

Agreed difficult technique having to dig the ball off a glue pot surface. Overall a point was a fair result imo and we've stopped the rot. More players playing to their full potential with some very good performances thrown in by Hamer, Solly, Pritchard, Wilson, Cort, BWP made all the difference not to mention the goal of the season so far.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pen probably yellow card, never.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

As I said earlier, hindsight is a wonderful thing.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. You see, when half the stadium says that Morro ain't finishing the game on the pitch during the first half of the match, it's not really hindsight is it?

• Options
    Ask pritch if it was the pitches fault or a very very very bad miss from him due to his technique

He seems an honest lad sure he would tell truth

No pen it was handball
  • Options
    If the Morro challenge for the pen wasn't a yellow on it's own then maybe it was one of many challenges totting up to another yellow? From what fans say on here Morro was on a tight rope for the whole second half.
  • Options
    Morro shouldn't have gone for it but ref was always going to send him off- any other player wouldn't have been booked. Pointless having a centre half who was struggling with the conditions and walking a tight-rope on the pitch when there was a clear option on the bench.

I said to my brother that there was no way Morro would be coming back after h/t -he thought he would but that he shouldn't. unfortunately, he was right. 35% -40% chance of getting sent off for me which when you are 1-0 up, are odds you shouldn't be going anywhere near.
  • Options
    edited December 2012

Ask pritch if it was the pitches fault or a very very very bad miss from him due to his technique

He seems an honest lad sure he would tell truth

No pen it was handball

He will probably blame himself but I think that's harsh because on a decent surface he would have buried that no probs. Noticeably his head was down in the break in play shortly afterwards when I thought one of the senior players might have put an arm round his shoulder. Still a very good performance from a Conference player not so long ago.
  • Options
    Thought crowd was impressive today.Stayed with the team through the difficult first 20 mins and last 20 mins.Derby crowd were surprisingly quite I thought.
  • Options
    the annoying thing about the Pritchard miss was that when we need a decent contact at the moment we get a mis hit shot and when we need a mis hit shot -we get too good a contact.
  • Options
    Rizzo said:

Off_it said:

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. You see, when half the stadium says that Morro ain't finishing the game on the pitch during the first half of the match, it's not really hindsight is it?

Oh really? Lots of people probably thought, "there's a chance he might get sent off second half" , but that's not the same as "knowing" is it? It's suspecting, or predicting.

If it then happens you can sit back and say, "there, I knew it" , but the point is that nobody knew it. How many times do you think someone "might" get sent off and they don't. You can't sub every person based on a hunch, not when you've already made one enforced change.

Anyway, pointless discussion. Some people will find fault in anything.
  • Options
    Ref far to involved for me,very soft red,but he had been warned,bad miss from such short range,bloody bar I ask you.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Spankie said:

If the Morro challenge for the pen wasn't a yellow on it's own then maybe it was one of many challenges totting up to another yellow? From what fans say on here Morro was on a tight rope for the whole second half.

That is doubtless the ref's line. however I was and still am furious about Morros first yellow. It was barely a foul, and if he'd booked all such challenges like that in the game, it would have been eight a side at the end. Unfortunately this ref was not remotely consistent. he waved away a clear yellow card foul on Wilson when he was breaking clear- but did not book Wilson for diving. Wilson was so furious that he harangued the ref not just at half time but at full time too.

But there is nothing we can do. We cannot appeal yellows, and refs are not called in front of the cameras to explain their decisions to the customers who pay their wages. it's time both those things were changed.
  • Options
    Well said, Prague.
  • Options
    It was a huge chance for Pritchard but hardly an open goal
  • Options

Spankie said:

That is doubtless the ref's line. however I was and still am furious about Morros first yellow. It was barely a foul, and if he'd booked all such challenges like that in the game, it would have been eight a side at the end. Unfortunately this ref was not remotely consistent. he waved away a clear yellow card foul on Wilson when he was breaking clear- but did not book Wilson for diving. Wilson was so furious that he harangued the ref not just at half time but at full time too.

But there is nothing we can do. We cannot appeal yellows, and refs are not called in front of the cameras to explain their decisions to the customers who pay their wages. it's time both those things were changed.
    Agree with all that Prague.

• Options
    edited December 2012
    It's difficult to know what will work. For me there are too many officials who haven't played the game. The solution is probably to fast track people who have but the refs -50% of whom are saddos won't stand for it.

I see young refs, reffing my sons games. It frustrates me- they should be playing. Learn the rules that way - but also learn about the sly kicks in the ankles when you are having a competitive midfield battle and the other tricks of the trade that go on in games.

The other thing is- don't try to show you are strong by not favouring the home side- call teh decisions as you see them.
  • Options
    Morro's first was a definate yellow and another yard a pen, if he hadn't made the challenge the player would have been through on goal.
  • Options

the annoying thing about the Pritchard miss was that when we need a decent contact at the moment we get a mis hit shot and when we need a mis hit shot -we get too good a contact.

Fortunately haynes got the right connection with his shot...
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Rizzo said:

Off_it said:

Oh really? Lots of people probably thought, "there's a chance he might get sent off second half" , but that's not the same as "knowing" is it? It's suspecting, or predicting.

If it then happens you can sit back and say, "there, I knew it" , but the point is that nobody knew it. How many times do you think someone "might" get sent off and they don't. You can't sub every person based on a hunch, not when you've already made one enforced change.

Not hindsight not a hunch. Ive seen and played enough football to know when a player aint gonna make it to the end! It was obvious to a blind man! , he even got a final warning from the ref, if it had been another player he would have got booked, you must have seen that? If you cant recognise that, there's no point in continuing this debate, but the majority of fans around us at the time and the ones I spoke to at half time reckoned Morro was gonna go!
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Off_it said:

Rizzo said:

Off_it said:

Not hindsight not a hunch. Ive seen and played enough football to know when a player aint gonna make it to the end! It was obvious to a blind man! , he even got a final warning from the ref, if it had been another player he would have got booked, you must have seen that? If you cant recognise that, there's no point in continuing this debate, but the majority of fans around us at the time and the ones I spoke to at half time reckoned Morro was gonna go!
    Most reports seem to indicate that their number 6 was in the same situation. He made it to the end though. You are confusing chance with pre-destination. It was obvious that Morro could get sent off but that's how yellow cards work. It was Morrison's responsibility and he messed up. You can't blame Powell.
  • Options
    edited December 2012

Morro's first was a definate yellow and another yard a pen, if he hadn't made the challenge the player would have been through on goal.

Agree.

Keogh had also had a yellow and a warning. Clough didn't sub him. He stayed on because to didn't slide thru the back of a player.

We got a point in a good game. We all need to stop looking for scapegoats be they refs or managers. We had some good chances (jacko x 2, stephens, pritch, bwp, evina, etc) to score but so did they. No doubt on Derby Life they are bemoaning that they didn't beat 10 men, that our keeper had a worldy/they couldnt take easy chances and hughes, Tyson and Ward all picked up injuries.