Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v. Derby County 2012 post-match news & views

Comments

• Options

Wasn't there, as had to cancel nephew's Xmas treat due to chest infection but not sure I agree with Morro view. If as has been said, ref was poor, why should CP pander to ref's ego by subbing player? Different if Morro was having a mare or losing his cool. Keep faith in our guy and slag him in refs report, tv replays will undermine man in black.

H
    Agree with that in principle, but I was there and it was so obvious the ref wanted to be centre stage (the big I am will do anything to get noticed). Basically was a cheat & was always going to send Morro off. Plus Derby were trying to get him sent off because they knew as well!

Pete the ref give him a last warning
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    As much as I hate to say it Powell at fault for not subbing morro we could all see that the twat of a ref was gonna send someone off and Morros lack of discipline gave him the excuse! That said if it wasn't for Hamer we would have 6 down best game in a Charlton shirt! Also Pritchard was excellent bar the miss JJs best game in ages too! Sorry but Big Yann looks unfit and just huffed and puffed! BWP was superb and I think will start next game but with Hulse or Fuller deffo not Yann!
    Draw was a fair result given all the factors!
    Good noise from the Cupboard End ;o)
  • Options

sam3110 said:

I said it in the match thread but you cannot blame Powell for not taking off our best centre half at half time just because he was on a booking. It's up to Morro not to slide in and give the ref the option to send him off, particularly if the ref has been having as dodgy a game as reports indicate. People love claiming Powell is 'naive' but no-one seems to be saying it was silly for Morro to lose his composure. If the sending off was wrong then it's all the ref. Powell can only send them out to do their jobs. You may as well blame him for not saving the pen either

Is Morrison our best defender then?
    I think he's our best centre half, yes. Better than Taylor and Dervite, more mobile than Cort. Normally a good leader at the back too. I'd say Solly's our best defender but then I think Solly's our best everything
    I agree with you Garry. I too said at halftime that Morro would not finish the game, but that does not mean the manager should be intimidated into subbing our best cb, and deputy captain, just because some no-mark ref has it in for him.

Fully agree with sirjohnhumphrey too on the ref's other dire mistakes, and that he was a look at me ref. Wilson was so incensed he had a go at the ref both at half and full time. The ref fully deserved to walk off with boos ringing around his ears. if it turns out not to be a penalty, we need to appeal Morro' s card.

As for the rest, a much improved performance on Boxing Day, but Derby were a better team too, very slick passing and movement. Gutted for and about Haynes, but as others have said, BWP did well when he came on. only the second time I've seen Wilson, great player, so much more energy in midfield with him there. Agree with above about Pritch, don't be hard on him, it was a mm away from being a goal.

feels like a win. Mid table at best with this squad, but I'd take that, and would have done in August. the problem is, we don't think TJ will take that, like all the other mad trigger happy owners in this division who want to make a profit on getting into the prem. CP in interview quite downbeat about the window, talked only of wheeling and dealing. He could of course be bluffing, but his voice didn't sound like that was his game.

I was at the Ipswich game and I know that it has been said many times before but my source told me beforehand that TJ's one and only aim this season is consolidation in the Championship (in fact it was pointed out to me that the board know that the current crop of players is no where near capable of challenging for the play-offs).

Next season is all about pushing for promotion to the Prem so if there are funds made available don't expect anything major until this season finished.

Incidentally I sat a few rows from the directors box and the only notable persons I spotted were Paul Elliott, Trevor Brooking (and his wife) and a couple who looked liked they could be Nigerian).

Fk
    I dont want to take this thread off at a tangent so lets just say I hope you are right, and if you are, TJ will have my respect.

• Options
    Another sat and no win, christ I hope 2013 brings a change in fortune Hartlepool seems so long away
  • Options
    So, are people seriously advocating that we sub players every time they get booked? Really?

Have a word with yourselves.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

So, are people seriously advocating that we sub players every time they get booked? Really?

No one is but wen u get a ref and the whole stadium can see that morro was gonna go then you make changes if Powell had done that we would have finished with ten men!
    We're you there btw?
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Yes the ref was an arse but you cant let him pick our team. Morro had to come out second half.
  • Options
    One thing. Hamer made brilliant saves and made some (I thought) good decisions to punch in a crowded box and a wet ball. But a couple of times he starts gettinga bit flash with the footwork outside the box. Be careful, Ben, that's not what we're paying you for.

Results aren't great but I'm really enjoying more of the games this season than in a long time. Alright, we won more last year but there are teams who can play good football in this league and the way to do well is to only do the long balls when the time is right and try to play to feet.
  • Options

I said it in the match thread but you cannot blame Powell for not taking off our best centre half at half time just because he was on a booking. It's up to Morro not to slide in and give the ref the option to send him off, particularly if the ref has been having as dodgy a game as reports indicate. People love claiming Powell is 'naive' but no-one seems to be saying it was silly for Morro to lose his composure. If the sending off was wrong then it's all the ref. Powell can only send them out to do their jobs. You may as well blame him for not saving the pen either

Refs are human, and today's was quick to give a home CB a card (10 mins in ?). In the following 10 minutes he gave Morro nothing - even when the Derby guy was backing into him and pushing his luck.

The 2 serious talks in the rest of the first half (one of which was almost a 2nd yellow), sent me a signal that this ref was on the lookout for Morro.

If you are going to tell Morro at HT to go out and "be careful not to risk a card by pushing the boundaries" you might as well tell him not to tackle anyone. A CB can rarely go 45mins without chancing-it a bit, AND be effective.
    Neil Warnock sold Cort from palarse because he did not get enough yellows to convince him he was a decent CB.

The practice of subbing players on a yellow is not something I have invented - successful managers have been doing it for ages.

It was naive of CP not to spot the refs attitude to Morro in the first half and sub him. The guy is on 7 yellows (?) with the next automatic ban at 10.

The whole ground saw what kind of ref he was when he booked Hamer for kicking the ball at the corner flag for........er........a corner.

• Options
    Off_it said:

It's not that he got booked ... He got booked then shortly after got reprimanded again where the referee initially went for his pocket to send him off. We was one up expecting to come under pressure as a defence and he was clearly on his last warning - I think it's pretty logical to consider making a change under those circumstances
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Greenie said:

Off_it said:

No one is but wen u get a ref and the whole stadium can see that morro was gonna go then you make changes if Powell had done that we would have finished with ten men!
    We're you there btw?
    Yes, I was there. Thanks for asking.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
  • Options
    edited December 2012

Yes the ref was an arse but you can let him pick our team. Morro had to come out second half.

Fully agree.

If Morrison had been subbed and we'd lost ten it would be yet another reason for some to dig out the manager. You play your best team.
  • Options
    So rude
  • Options
    nolly said:

So rude

Were you there nolly?
  • Options
    Decent enough game to watch. We desperately need at least 4 new faces in Jan though as we could easily have been 3 down before Haynes stunner. What a goal by Haynes and was gutted when he pulled up as he clearly wants to do well for us. Hamer played a blinder and may have alerted more teams to his ability with a performance like that. Pritchard's miss was woeful but not as woeful as the ref who wanted to be the centre of attention throughout.

I think the tough thing I'm finding is that I'm watching some players who I really like but week on week I'm starting to think that are quite simply not up to it. If Powell does get some funds he'll have to make some big decisions about who gets pushed to the fringes of the squad.

January is a crucial month.
  • Options
    No, I wasn't there . Thanks for asking .
  • Options
    mart77 said:

Decent enough game to watch. We desperately need at least 4 new faces in Jan though as we could easily have been 3 down before Haynes stunner. What a goal by Haynes and was gutted when he pulled up as he clearly wants to do well for us. Hamer played a blinder and may have alerted more teams to his ability with a performance like that. Pritchard's miss was woeful but not as woeful as the ref who wanted to be the centre of attention throughout.

I think the tough thing I'm finding is that I'm watching some players who I really like but week on week I'm starting to think that are quite simply not up to it. If Powell does get some funds he'll have to make some big decisions about who gets pushed to the fringes of the squad.

January is a crucial month.

Couldn't agree more.

• Options
    nolly said:

No, I wasn't there . Thanks for asking .

No problem.
  • Options
    Regarding Morrison, of course Powell should not have subbed him. Many a centre back gets booked and gets through the game. Imagine if Dervite had come on and we'd lost 3-1. There would then be criticism of Powell for pandering to the ref and not trusting his own player.
  • Options

Regarding Morrison, of course Powell should not have subbed him. Many a centre back gets booked and gets through the game. Imagine if Dervite had come on and we'd lost 3-1. There would then be criticism of Powell for pandering to the ref and not trusting his own player.

Bada bada bing

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Morrison seems to be going backwards and made a number of rash challenges. His lack of pace has been evident in recent games and I just hope this is a blip - thought he was quality earlier in the season.
  • Options
    valiantphil and others

It is frankly extremely arrogant to suggest that CP - unlike all of us - somehow didn't notice that this ref had it in for Morro. of course we see players getting subbed when on yellow but not at half time, and usually midfielders. If we see the video later and find that it wasn't a penalty, then you owe Chris Powell an apology, as we would otherwise have finished with eleven men and three points.
  • Options
    Haynes just tweeted "Fingers crossed not 2 bad!"
  • Options
    Good game. We had a far improved performance and it really felt like everyone was playing for the team. Stunning goal from Haynes, though before that we'd needed some good work from Hamer to keep us level. As others have said BWP looked really lively, so that was good to see that he's first-team ready.

Disagree that Powell should have switched Morro for Dervite. Apart from SHG's argument about playing your best team, we'd already had one enforced substitution; making another one by half time would have given us considerably less flexibilty.

Shame we couldn't nick it in the end, but I think all things considered a draw was probably a fair result anyway.
  • Options

valiantphil and others

It is frankly extremely arrogant to suggest that CP - unlike all of us - somehow didn't notice that this ref had it in for Morro. of course we see players getting subbed when on yellow but not at half time, and usually midfielders. If we see the video later and find that it wasn't a penalty, then you owe Chris Powell an apology, as we would otherwise have finished with eleven men and three points.

I make it a rule, never to ask CP for an apology and the arrangement is mutual.

That ref was going to have Morro in the bath early, come what may and regardless of the penalty.
  • Options
    Good spirited performance but need to invest in midfield in window. Much better with haynes up front and Pritchard in CM. Hamer outstanding, pritch workrate outstanding once again, Kermo getting back towards slinging himself around for the cause but with a bit more quality on the deck, could have got haynes in on a few occassions. Stephens just doesn't offer enough - Wilson is decent - BWP looked like a new man. CP should have replaced morro at half time. 1-1 a fair result. Cort very good. Praying haynes isn't out too long. A good CM alongside Pritchard and a dangerous wide man and we'll be ok. Without, we are in a battle but still think we will just have enough.
  • Options
    I've never been so certain that a player would be sent off and couldn't believe it when Morro came out for the second half. He had looked shaky from the outset and the Ref was just itching to send him off. With another centre half on the bench, it was a silly or naive decision by Powell. Playing the last 25 minutes on a heavy pitch against a good passing team when we have another game in just a couple of days was the last thing we needed. As a manager, you need to read referees these days and protect your players from their stupid decisions. I'm so sick of seeing our players sent off by stupid refs every time I come home to see a few games! But a much better performance with lots of positives. BWP was superb, as was Solly, Hamer, Haynes and Pritch. Stevens just doesn't do enough. We need another play maker in midfield and a good left winger. Solly is now as good going forward as he is at the back.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Greenie said:

Off_it said:

We're you there btw?

How is it hindsight when the whole ground could see it was going to happen, except you it would seem???
  • Options
    edited December 2012

valiantphil and others

That ref was going to have Morro in the bath early, come what may and regardless of the penalty.

valiantphil and others

Is your argument that he would have sent him off later if he hadn't given the penalty? Dubious argument. I could just as easily argue that with Dervite on we would have conceded in that spell of pressure between 50-60 minutes. The fact remains that the vast majority of managers don't do what you propose to such a key player at half time
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Off_it said:

Greenie said:

Off_it said:

We're you there btw?

How is it hindsight when the whole ground could see it was going to happen, except you it would seem???
    Mystic Greenie!

You wanna get yourself some lottery tickets mate.