Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Phil Parkinson

Should the Board kept Phil(parkinson) considering what he has done for Bradford. Eighth in the League and doing well in the cup. I apologize if there is another thread on this

Comments

• Options
    i think they should have kept curbs
  • Options
    Already another thread (see bradford v villa)

Also this discussion done to death dozens of time

• Options
    Shouldve kept him until the end of the season. Think we would've gone up if he had stayed and got to use BWP.
  • Options

I never knew you felt that way ;)
  • Options
    Hard to judge as he was never given the backing that Powell has had - little doubt however that he was treated poorly by the new owners, whilst the quality of football since he left hasn't improved (only the results have).

However you can understand why they might have felt that appointing a fans favourite was an easy way to get them onboard from the outset, and they would presumably argue the results justify it too now with hindsight (though as above, expectations were clearly ratcheted upwards too by virtue of the 30+ players he's been able to sign).
  • Options

i try to keep my feelings close to my chest , i have a problem with our away support that i'm suppressing too but i'll hold back on expressing how i feel about it ;-)

• Options

i try to keep my feelings close to my chest , i have a problem with our away support that i'm suppressing too but i'll hold back on expressing how i feel about it ;-)

until after the Blackburn game ;)

• Options
    more to the point, should we have kept Dowie?
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I felt Parky was harshly treated at the time given that he had to try to make a silk purse with a sow's ear.

Nobody can argue with what has happened since however which, unjust as it is to Parky given that we are not really comparing like with like, vindicates the decision made.

I just hope Bradford continue to progress under Parky in the way that Colchester did. I have the utmost respect for the man and his conduct in pretty adverse circumstances at our place.
  • Options

more to the point, should we have kept Dowie?

if we had kept dowie i don't think we'd have gotten to the 3rd tier and we may have got to a cup final (poor nolly)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No.

Funny how people still wish him well whereas with Pardew its the opposite. Tells you a lot about their personalities I think. But who thinks Parky would have done ok at Newcastle? not me.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

I felt Parky was harshly treated at the time given that he had to try to make a silk purse with a sow's ear.

Nobody can argue with what has happened since however which, unjust as it is to Parky given that we are not really comparing like with like, vindicates the decision made.

I just hope Bradford continue to progress under Parky in the way that Colchester did. I have the utmost respect for the man and his conduct in pretty adverse circumstances at our place.

This and I only wish him well in his future career unlike Pardew.

• Options
    When Pardew was sacked, we should've gone all out to get Big Sam in.
  • Options
    We were potless then and took the cheapest option, then got what we paid for.
  • Options
    Getting rid of Jimmy Seed started the rot........................
  • Options

We were potless then and took the cheapest option, then got what we paid for.

I know but in the long run would've been better and financially worth it.
  • Options
    We were playing long ball every week and had just been battered by Swindon at home. Powell came in and changed the club and our footballing philosophy. No regrets. Only regret should be not fighting harder to keep Curbs.
  • Options
    Parkinson was manager for the Northwich Victoria match remember?

He was on talkspite yesterday and said it was nice not having to run decisions past 18 directors to get an agreement like at Charlton.
  • Options

We were playing long ball every week and had just been battered by Swindon at home. Powell came in and changed the club and our footballing philosophy. No regrets. Only regret should be not fighting harder to keep Curbs.

Also trying a European coaching system.
  • Options
    I don't recall too many people saying this when he led Bradford to the dizzy heights of 18th in league two last season. He's having a good cup run, fair play to him, but let's not kid ourselves he's some kind of managerial genius. The football we played under him was some of the worst i've ever seen.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Dowie and Andrew Mills? It could have worked if we'd had a half decent manager.
  • Options

Dowie and Andrew Mills? It could have worked if we'd had a half decent manager.
    As Matt Holland said, having 3 coaches put together was always going to be a problem.
  • Options
    To be fair, Bradford were in desparate financial s**t last year - and it's not got much better since. I know a number of Bradford supporters, having lived just outside Bradford for 4 years in the 1990s, and they all felt that Parky did a cracking job in helping them to avoid relegation last season. Cup runs like this will help Bradford survive financially for a little longer.

I don't recall too many people saying this when he led Bradford to the dizzy heights of 18th in league two last season. He's having a good cup run, fair play to him, but let's not kid ourselves he's some kind of managerial genius. The football we played under him was some of the worst i've ever seen.

• Options

The football we played under him was some of the worst i've ever seen.

To be fair it hasn't improved much since - Powell tried unsuccessfully to turn us into a passing side during the second half of the 2010/11 season before quickly reverting to the much more successful but attritional/unattractive style which we have seen since.
  • Options

The football we played under him was some of the worst i've ever seen.

agree entirely.
    buckshee said:

Parkinson was manager for the Northwich Victoria match remember?

yes, our first and only defeat to a non league team. Will live long in the memory, especially if you were there.

buckshee said:

He was on talkspite yesterday and said it was nice not having to run decisions past 18 directors to get an agreement like at Charlton.

shame the 18 of them decided to appoint him.

• Options
    I love parky
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Certain players and managers will always divide opinion and a number of factors contribute to this not least of all the individual's character. If you have been in someone's company this will affect your views good or bad and I suspect a number of the pro Parky Lifers on here are in that category. What the vast majority of fans have to go by however are the results a team achieves and the style of football served up. Having followed Charlton for 50 odd years the football served up during his reign was dire and probably the worst I have had the unfortunate pleasure to watch. Let's not forget the vast majority of the crowd were calling for his head after the Swindon debacle and two cup ties that needed to go to replays when we still struggled to beat a Conference side (Luton) and rock bottom of the 4th tier Barnet. Not once did I hear the crowd chant his name as a sign of appreciation yet I do recall chants of 'Super Alan Pardew' prior to him. Yes there are mitigating circumstances about the money he had to spend etc etc and I did not know until recently that he dipped into his own pocket to fund loan signings so fair play to the man. Do I resent the man - no, am I surprised that the new board parted with his services - no, am I pleased for him now - yes, am I pleased the way things have turned out under SCP - you bet. Onwards and upwards.

As Henry says this topic has been done to death over and over again but I am sure it will raise its head again :-O
  • Options
    They ain't through yet
  • Options

Correct, the money given to Dowie should have been given/offered to Curbs.
  • Options
    Cant stand Parkinson