Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Phil Parkinson

Comments

• Options
    JT said:

Andy Gray was a Pardew signing

Edit: maybe not. Can't remember

Gray came in as a replacement for Todorov after that thug from Plymouth (Timar?) did him at The Valley yet didn't even get booked despite Styles booking virtually everybody else in attendance that evening!

In other words a Pardew signing.
  • Options
    Great respect for the guy as i don't decide on who i think highly of on just their football dealings, i also think he did a good job in league 1 in a terrible situation to try and get us back up, that being said im delighted and think it was the right choice to bring SCPin, just think they were a little harsh in how they so quickly sacked Parky.

Dowie/Pardew 2 chancers who almost sunk the club, Parky honest guy who just couldn't bail the water out quick enough, luckily had the chance to meet him since he left us and shook his hand and thanked him for what he did for the club we all love so much.

• Options
    LenGlover said:

JT said:

Andy Gray was a Pardew signing

Edit: maybe not. Can't remember

Gray came in as a replacement for Todorov after that thug from Plymouth (Timar?) did him at The Valley yet didn't even get booked despite Styles booking virtually everybody else in attendance that evening!

In other words a Pardew signing.
    Gray came in for £1m despite us already having Iwelemu, McLeod and Varney. Having filled our squad with expensive strikers, we then sold the creative player who might have created chances for them, Andy Reid...
  • Options
    Parky top man
  • Options

We were playing long ball every week and had just been battered by Swindon at home. Powell came in and changed the club and our footballing philosophy. No regrets. Only regret should be not fighting harder to keep Curbs.

Also trying a European coaching system.
    Seems to work for most European teams though...

IIRC his last three games included draws against teams who'd had a player sent off and then a debacle against Swindon at home who pulled back a 1-0 deficit to win 4-2
    Still seems better set of results than CP's prior to Watford. We can all pick and choose results that support our arguments, at the end of the day he went, some were pleased some thought he was harshly treated and there are some that still believe that he would do a good job, he's gone, got a great result last night, well done to him, hope he gets to wembley, lets move on.

• Options
    I liked Parky and wish him well and always will but I know a lot of fans did not. The second year in League 1 he had a cobbled together cheap squad and he somehow kept us in the top six. The football was poor though and the players were not good enough. Last Saturday was much the same with a clueless performance and very poor football. The League 1 squad has been improved with on the whole cheap signings and we again look a poor team. Just hope we do not go on a similar run as to when Powell first came in.
  • Options
    Top bloke.
  • Options
    CH4RLTON said:

Powell didn't have that much more backing than Parky, just he was lot wiser IMO. Parky is a good lower league manager and I would say league 2 is about his level, wouldn't have liked to thought what we would been like under him in the championship.

Are you kidding? Powell was allowed to rebuild the team
  • Options
    Parky, look the man is getting it all wrong. Winning cup games, playing his first team, getting the crowds and the money in, a game away from Wembley, next thing you know Millwall will try in the cup, and don,t laugh make a cup final and European game ! Blimy these people. Wouldn't,t do for us down the valley. We have our own way and bloody good at it we are, get acup game get knocked out. We never get let down !
  • Options
    I don't get the hatred of Pardew and Parkinson. The club was in decline.
    I don't get the total adoration for Curbs. He wasn't stupid jumping when he did.
    I totally get the hatred of Dowie.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If ever a time was made for the phrase 'Man Of The Moment' then this is it. Let's hope the moment lasts until the the final whistle on 24th February. Hooray for Parky.
  • Options
    he preferred Elliot to Randolph ..... says it all and that first season in league one he was lucky that our slide out of the play offs was halted by robbie getting injured and Randy coming in
    he didn't know how to take advantage of Jonjos ability
    his record as assistant (does that count) under pardew and the most pathetic of relegations stick in the throat as well
    his next season and a half in league one he done a reasonable job and i for one thought he deserved till the end of the season, the board gambled and brought in SCP and its paid off ... we all move onwards

he comes across as a gentleman and seems a nice man but i can't say his spell at Charlton was anything i really enjoyed

• Options
    edited January 2013
    You mean premier league Elliott?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

You mean premier league Elliott?

No, he means 3rd choice goalie at Newcastle. Happy to sit on bench all season, bar cup games. (Don't blame him mind you, getting rich doing nothing much).
  • Options
    How can everyone say League 2 is his level when he finished 2nd in league 1 with with a shit Colchester team, fourth in League 1 with Charlton and we were 6th when he was sacked. Bradford are currently 8th in League 2?
  • Options
    Edit. Fourth in League 1 with a shit Charlton team.
  • Options

How can everyone say League 2 is his level when he finished 2nd in league 1 with with a shit Colchester team, fourth in League 1 with Charlton and we were 6th when he was sacked. Bradford are currently 8th in League 2?

Bitterness is all it is.
  • Options
    David mooney and Simon Francis got to play at the valley because of Phil Parkinson. I've never played at the Valley.

I have a right to be bitter.
  • Options
    Is there really anything worthwhile left to say about Parkinson, we pretty much know who is on which side of the divide by now don't we?
  • Options
    David mooney

2009–2010Charlton Athletic (loan) 28app (5) goals

Or Andy Gray and Varney?

2007–2009 Charlton Athletic 57 (10)

2008–2009 Charlton Athletic 45 (9)

I'd be more annoyed at the latter!

Or worse still Izale fecking McCloud

2007–2010 Charlton Athletic 31 (3)

Jimmy Floyd
    2006–2007 Charlton Athletic 25 (2)

Marcus of Bent
    2006–2008 Charlton Athletic 46 (4)

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Mooney was playing league one football
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Dazzler21 said:

Marcus of Bent
    2006–2008 Charlton Athletic 46 (4)

Yeah but it wasn't all bad the first of those goals got us a most unexpected away point at Chelski on his debut :-)
  • Options

MOVE ON FOLKS SO LONG HAS PASSED

WE WON THE LEAGUE

As much as I liked Parky, this post by Nth London Addick is a very good post and raises a very good point!

• Options

I don't get the total adoration for Curbs. He wasn't stupid jumping when he did.

At last....a Football brain not washed up in sentiment. Agree with this totally.
  • Options

Charlton chose when Curbs left.

Curbs said he wasn't going to sign another 4 year contract but would see out the existing one which had a year to run. Charlton decided to let him go immediately so "jumping when he did" is not strictly accurate.

I don't get the hatred of Parkinson either. The hatred of Pardew, for me anyway, is based on the money he spunked and the fact that nothing was his fault. He even blamed Red, Red, Robin on one occasion and slagged the fans off for clapping Deano on his return to The Valley with West Brom (I think it was).
  • Options

We were playing long ball every week and had just been battered by Swindon at home. Powell came in and changed the club and our footballing philosophy. No regrets. Only regret should be not fighting harder to keep Curbs.

Footballing philosophy - from what to what ?

• Options
    and if you don't have adoration for Curbs you're a tough taskmaster
  • Options
    Good luck to him I say,and I wouldn't say that about all ex bosses.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

David mooney

2009–2010Charlton Athletic (loan) 28app (5) goals

Or Andy Gray and Varney?

2007–2009 Charlton Athletic 57 (10)

2008–2009 Charlton Athletic 45 (9)

I'd be more annoyed at the latter!

Or worse still Izale fecking McCloud

2007–2010 Charlton Athletic 31 (3)

Jimmy Floyd
    2006–2007 Charlton Athletic 25 (2)