Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Phil Parkinson

Comments

• Options
    Feel the love for parky
  • Options
    It was a shame he he was sacked only about 5 days before the Spurs cup ties after he had managed the team that had worked hard to earn it.
  • Options
    Yeah and with his record in the cup we may have won it and home on to lift the cup
  • Options

It was a shame he he was sacked only about 5 days before the Spurs cup ties after he had managed the team that had worked hard to earn it.

I was happier a club legend got to be caretaker manager for the game
  • Options
    Blimey I think parky might have finally outdone waggy v green in all time charlton life threads thanks to his cup run

I liked him and think he is a good manager as he is proving at Bradford but it just happened that he was manager in our lowest point financially since the 80's

In hindsight everything has turned out ok and we all love Chris but I think with the same resources he would have got us where we are now

And Kyle Reid in the last minute at Soufhend is still in my top 5 Charlton memories for obvious reasons...
  • Options
    He's apparently wanted by Blackpool.

Shame they couldn't have got him by tomorrow.
  • Options
    edited January 2013

Really? Where did you see that? That would be a major shot in the arm for his career going from League 2 to the Championship at a club that still has some dough to spend.

Would he leave Bradford now though? If I were him I would leave if the job were offered.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Can't see him leaving when they are one game away from wembley, but at the same time would be a huge career boost
  • Options
    Hopefully Phil has learnt from leaving Colchester at the wrong time that he would be much better to stick with Bradford than take the risk at a basket case club like Blackburn.
  • Options

Really? Where did you see that? That would be a major shot in the arm for his career going from League 2 to the Championship at a club that still has some dough to spend.

Would he leave Bradford now though? If I were him I would leave if the job were offered.
    Blackpool don't have any money to spend. By all accounts, Oyston is taking it all and lining his pockets.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Hopefully Phil has learnt from leaving Colchester at the wrong time that he would be much better to stick with Bradford than take the risk at a basket case club like Blackburn.

Big gap though between League Two and the Championship, Parky could struggle next season and get axed by Bradford and then not get another job.

Unless Bradford have long term funds in place to really push on then he should probably grab the lifeboat when its offered to jump two divisions to Blackpool, that's the way the game works.
  • Options
    let's face it it'll come down to money, Parky was set to become Huddersfield boss, when he was pardupeds assistant, and we gave him a pay rise and he stayed with us
  • Options
    edited January 2013

It's Blackpool who supposedly want him, Appleton is going to blackburn
  • Options
    True this argument has been done to death, but for me it'll never end as long as people say "I know he didn't have much money but..."

There is no but. The guy put a squad together, two squads in fact, with almost no money, using favours, freebies and loans. He kept us competitive. EVERYTHING that was wrong with our football was the result of bad management at the top of the club in the prior years. Parkinson conducted himself with class, put out competitive teams despite a complete lack of resource, and kept us going in what has been the darkest time in my supporting history. Blaming Parkinson for the state of the team back then is utterly bewildering to me. And grossly naive.

There is no but. That he wasn't given the opportunity to try again, this time with a million quid, was a real shame for me. I thought he'd earned that chance.
  • Options
    there is no one in football who , had they taken over at the same time as Parkinson did after pardew, would have done worse than Parky at trying to keep us up that was truly pathetic no buts just pathetic as abysmal an attempt as was possible and i think Seths goat theory may have done better(the last bit is a joke btw)
  • Options
    Totally agree Jimmy85.
  • Options

Money is money and taking the blackpool job would be a healthy pay rise from Bradford
  • Options

there is no one in football who , had they taken over at the same time as Parkinson did after pardew, would have done worse than Parky at trying to keep us up that was truly pathetic no buts just pathetic as abysmal an attempt as was possible and i think Seths goat theory may have done better(the last bit is a joke btw)

excellently put. We went down with a whimper, a pathetic attempt to 'fight' relegation. No-one could have done worse including the goat.

• Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

True this argument has been done to death, but for me it'll never end as long as people say "I know he didn't have much money but..."

There is no but. The guy put a squad together, two squads in fact, with almost no money, using favours, freebies and loans. He kept us competitive. EVERYTHING that was wrong with our football was the result of bad management at the top of the club in the prior years. Parkinson conducted himself with class, put out competitive teams despite a complete lack of resource, and kept us going in what has been the darkest time in my supporting history. Blaming Parkinson for the state of the team back then is utterly bewildering to me. And grossly naive.

There is no but. That he wasn't given the opportunity to try again, this time with a million quid, was a real shame for me. I thought he'd earned that chance.

Excellent, agree...
  • Options
    got the job only because RM thought he owed him that, given 8 games 'trial' and lost the lost, appointed anyway cause he was cheap, could have kept us up with the squad he had but instead took us down with barely a whimper which was a disgrace. However he conducted himself after that I'm glad he went because as a manager he was an unmitigated disaster.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

I agree with this too. Absolutely. Knew Large wouldn't be be able to resist getting his hatred of Parky on here. IMO nobody could have saved us from relegation that season; the team was woefully unbalanced & we were relying on Matt Holland to play CB FFS. We were the worst team in that division by some distance.

I have a huge amount of respect for Parky & what he did in impossible circumstances.
  • Options

got the job only because RM thought he owed him that, given 8 games 'trial' and lost the lost, appointed anyway cause he was cheap, could have kept us up with the squad he had but instead took us down with barely a whimper which was a disgrace. However he conducted himself after that I'm glad he went because as a manager he was an unmitigated disaster.

The bigger the Bull.....
  • Options
    We have done this to death and everyone knows my views on the subject BUT can I just point out again that a) I do NOT hate Parky and b) yes, he was a gent and conducted himself in the right manner. I have NO problem with Parky the person. It's as Charlton manager that I have the problem.
  • Options
    Post of the day from jimmy

It doesn't matter now anyway
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    He could've kept us up with the squad we had? You mean the one with 2 centre backs and 8 centre midfielders IIRC.

In the end it doesn't really matter because I think it's worked out well for everyone involved but it's a shame Parkinson didn't get the chance to spend the money that Powell did. Parkinson must've had about 200k total to spend in transfers over the course of 2 years. Powell had near enough ten times that, whilst being able to get rid of high earners such as Racon and Semedo, giving him a decent wage bill to play with.

People argue that Parkinson, given the signings he made, would've signed rubbish if he'd had the money but there are two points that should be made:

1. Recently someone said that when we signed Andy Gray, Parkinson wanted Pardew to sign Ebanks-Blake from Plymouth. Pardew went for Andy Gray and the rest is history there. Ebanks-Blake fired Wolves to promotion the next season, whilst we got relegated. Not saying our fortunes would've been reversed but it's worth keeping in mind. Parkinson had (and has) a good eye for a player.
    2. Powell had to "shop at Lidl" this summer, bar the signings of Lawrie Wilson and Ricardo Fuller. And who did we bring in on perm deals? Kerkar, Cook, Dervite, Button... Any better than an average transfer window under Parkinson? Probably not.
  • Options
    I think PP made a lot of mistakes and he was in charge for two of worst results in recent years (Northwich and Millwall away). He was very close to having a decent team but too many strikers he brought in didn't do it. One decent partner for Burton would have taken us up IMHO.

On the plus side the Club was already in a tail spin when he took over and many fans and players already had us as going down that first season including Large and Ooh Aah who now berate him for not keeping us up.

He didn't have money to spend and he still had players on big contracts (Semedo, Racon and Youga) eating up the wage budget. Despite having what many on here described as terrible players like McCormack and Francis we still made the play-offs and were in the play-offs again when he was sacked.

At Charlton ultimately he failed regardless of the fact that his hands were tied financially along with the upheaval at board level. A manager has to play with the cards he is dealt and PP didn't get the best out of the resources he had. He did well but not enough.

I hope he stays at Bradford as given time he will rebuild that Club. He will have learnt from his time at Charlton and is still young enough (only two years older than SCP) to have a very good career as a manager. You can see from Bradford and Colchester than he can organise a team of his choosing.

• Options
    Poorly treated and way too much emotion for SCP. I love SCP as a man, not yet totally convinced he is the second coming of Curbs. Anyone mentioning Northwich are forgetting Maidstone, Dagenham, Luton etc. Within touching distance of a Wembley game against Millwall and the possibility of going down as a legend.
    Would I be right in suggesting those who "hated" Parkinson also hated Pardew, Francis etc and just need to dislike someone. They probably launched into Wilson after 1 game as well....
  • Options
    Why would Parky leave a club on the verge of a Wembley final?
  • Options
    It's worth noting that Bradford are in the semis of the JPT as well, so potentially have TWO trips to Wembley coming up!

If I were him I'd stay with Bradford, the massive publicity he's gained from their cup run won't be forgotten when other vacancies come up in the summer.
  • Options
    I'm not happy with the word 'hate' being used in reference to my opinions. I thought Francis was a crap footballer, thought Parky was a crap manager. I hated neither but had rather they hadn't played for and managed us.

On the plus side the Club was already in a tail spin when he took over and many fans and players already had us as going down that first season including Large and Ooh Aah who now berate him for not keeping us up.

if I already had us as going down that year why did I bother continuing going to away games? I went because I thought we had a squad capable of staying up, I went to support the team. Unfortunately Parky had other ideas and thought a point away at Swansea and a point away at Reading were ok because it made his record look better on his CV. We were, apparently, going down anyway so why not go for it and try to win these games instead off settling for a point that was worth diddly squat in the position we were in. Yes we might have lost but so what we were down anyway. But, just think, we might have won and given ourselves a fighting chance instead of bowing out like a damp squib with the worse results in living memory. For this I can never forgive Parky.