Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Phil Parkinson

Comments

• Options
    Powell came in and changed the club... yes, he lost nearly every game the rest of that season.
  • Options

Cant stand Parkinson

Can't see why you would say that. He was a football manager that's all. Not going into whether or not he was good enough as that's been done to death as Henry said but the man did his best for us in very difficult circumstances and always acted with dignity.
  • Options
    I see David Mooney scored last night. Should have kept him as well I supppose.
  • Options

Cant stand Parkinson

Can't see why you would say that. He was a football manager that's all. Not going into whether or not he was good enough as that's been done to death as Henry said but the man did his best for us in very difficult circumstances and always acted with dignity.
    I meant in footballing terms. Dont know the man personally.

We played some really dire football under him. He also brought some extremely poor players to the club.

He was part of the Pardew era, lost nearly every game as caretaker manager and then got given the job! Really wasnt for me im afraid.
  • Options
    I've got no problem with Parky. Let's remember that we were hovering in and around the play-offs when he was replaced by Chrissy and that (after 4 wins, I think) Chrissy took the team on a long losing run. I love Chris to bits and was not shocked when Parky left but, for me, he was in the Curbishley mould in many ways and, therefore, was not a bad appointment in my opinion. If Nicky Bailey had not missed that play-off penalty, there's evey chance Parky would still be with us.
  • Options
    Nice enough bloke & heard him speak at a couple of meetings and always came accross very well - problem was he just didn't seem to get the best out of the players. Never should have got the job after Pardew as he didn;t win a game for 2 months. Not all managers are success at all clubs...........even the great Brian Clough couldn't do it at Leeds.

Parky is probably best in the lower leagues dealing with lesser players who have no ego's as he doesn't seem to have to "oomph" to be able to deal with "named" players.

• Options
    I always liked the fact that the board told us when Pardew left that Parky had 8 games to impress , he lost every one and they have him the job!
  • Options
    There is no doubt in my mind that Phil Parkinson is an honest and honourable man who never won the hearts of our fans mainly because he was seen as Hobson's choice and Pardews right hand man not one of us unlike CP. That said he nearly got us to a play off final and was going OK until the new board came in. The football style at the time was not pretty to watch and it was clear that as new investment arrived, he as a stop gap was not required any longer.

Thing is last year the brand of Football was refreshing but more and more this season the style of play reminds me of what the Parky team served up.

He left with dignity and at a lower level has shown he can produce results and has fshioned a fantastic cup run for Bradford. Do I wish he was still here...no but that said good luck to him and I hope his success continues.
  • Options
    Love parky top top guy
    Always acts with ozzes class n style
  • Options
    Love his V Neck jumpers.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Like him or not his Bradford team have taken some big scalps this season .
    If we were on the run they are we would be praising our manager and players on here no end
    Success always brings out bitterness
  • Options
    buckshee said:

run decisions past 18 directors to get an agreement like at Charlton.

I'm glad that that is no longer the case.

The atmosphere at home was poisonousness to say the least and he was associated with Pardew. We needed a man in charge that the fans would respect and give time to.
  • Options
    buckshee said:

I always liked the fact that the board told us when Pardew left that Parky had 8 games to impress , he lost every one and they have him the job!

Imagine turning up for a new job and having an 8 day trial period, then making mistakes and ballsing it up every day. Well done, the jobs yours!!
  • Options

more to the point, should we have kept Dowie?

Theo Foley

• Options
    Well done and good luck Parky and Bradford.
  • Options
    Parky was appointed in bizarre circumstances, and was unlikely to ever recover from his share of the blame for our relegation, but to his credit, some of his early signings were quite decent, e.g. Burton, Richardson, Dailly

• Options

Parky was appointed in bizarre circumstances, and was unlikely to ever recover from his share of the blame for our relegation, but to his credit, some of his early signings were quite decent, e.g. Burton, Richardson, Dailly

Burton's still banging them in for Gillingham at the top of league 2.
  • Options
    Parkinson made some very decent signings IMO. Not just Burton, Richardson and Dailly as mentioned above but also Sam Sodje, Kyel Reid and Johnnie Jackson.

IMO Sodje and Reid were good enough to play in the Championship and am actually very surprised to see them where they are now.
  • Options

We were playing long ball every week and had just been battered by Swindon at home. Powell came in and changed the club and our footballing philosophy. No regrets. Only regret should be not fighting harder to keep Curbs.

Also trying a European coaching system.
    Seems to work for most European teams though...

It was the correct decision to get rid of Parky - he tried his best, worked hard and never gave up but clearly by the end of his tenure he'd totally lost his ability to inspire the team. IIRC his last three games included draws against teams who'd had a player sent off and then a debacle against Swindon at home who pulled back a 1-0 deficit to win 4-2 and then went on to lose the next 17 games or something. That was the night of McCormack's use of twitter to tell the world how he was looking forward to a night out at the Oxo Tower with his wife. Unfortunately Parky had to try and coach performances out of players who reacted to a defeat in that kind of manner. I'm pleased he's doing well at Bradford and wish him every success etc, but his time at Charlton had run its course. We needed a new manager and injection of fresh blood and thinking. He most likely would have done better than CP did over the next few months but I doubt he would have led us to promotion and 102 points as CP did last year.

• Options
    Under Dowie we were unbeaten in cups and were a home banker against Wycombe away from a semi-final.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MOVE ON FOLKS SO LONG HAS PASSED

WE WON THE LEAGUE
  • Options
    Powell didn't have that much more backing than Parky, just he was lot wiser IMO. Parky is a good lower league manager and I would say league 2 is about his level, wouldn't have liked to thought what we would been like under him in the championship.
  • Options

MOVE ON FOLKS SO LONG HAS PASSED

WE WON THE LEAGUE

good to see you are not rising to it either ;-))

• Options
    Should have gone with pardew, a decent manager who could motivate players would have kept that team up. Never forget the tactical genius of playing 2 must win games against (I think) Watford & Doncaster at home with 1up front both games & refusing to change it even when it was obvious to everyone in the ground that it wasn't working.
  • Options
    but how good was Dowie now i have a mate who reckons we wouldve stayed up with him can we discuss that to death now
  • Options
    it's no surprise that the players all loved him. Obviously a top bloke. I think I've seen 3 CAFC players respond 'parky' when asked who the best manager they worked under was.

I'm pro-parky and we'll never know how well he would have done with the money. That said, Powelly made some cracking signings over 'that' summer. What can't be assured is how well powell would have done in Parky's situation.

Not sure how anyone can be anti-Parky. Did very very well in difficult circumstances and want nothing but success for him
  • Options
    He does love to sign his ex-players.............just seen he has signed Andy Gray (remember him ? ) after just being released from Leeds.

League 2 is about his level - along with Kyle Reid
  • Options
    JTJT
    edited January 2013
    Andy Gray was a Pardew signing

Edit: maybe not. Can't remember
  • Options

He does love to sign his ex-players.............just seen he has signed Andy Gray (remember him ? ) after just being released from Leeds.

League 2 is about his level - along with Kyle Reid

That's your opinion I guess, but I'd say Kyel Reid can easily play for a team in League One on his day and maybe even scrape a squad place in the Championship. As far as crossing ability and natural left footed talent goes, he does have something about him and I was sad to see him go.
  • Options

Love his V Neck jumpers.

*shudder*