Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Phil Parkinson

Comments

• Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

True this argument has been done to death, but for me it'll never end as long as people say "I know he didn't have much money but..."

There is no but. The guy put a squad together, two squads in fact, with almost no money, using favours, freebies and loans. He kept us competitive. EVERYTHING that was wrong with our football was the result of bad management at the top of the club in the prior years. Parkinson conducted himself with class, put out competitive teams despite a complete lack of resource, and kept us going in what has been the darkest time in my supporting history. Blaming Parkinson for the state of the team back then is utterly bewildering to me. And grossly naive.

There is no but. That he wasn't given the opportunity to try again, this time with a million quid, was a real shame for me. I thought he'd earned that chance.

Exactly.
  • Options
    The thing about football manager vacancies, is that if you turn one down, another one will turn up in a couple of days. Between now and the start of the season, how many managers will be sacked? 20? 25? No need to jump at the first offer that comes your way, if you're 'hot'
  • Options
    Lets just say those who thought he was crap have been proven wrong, and those who thought otherwise proven right. Can't say fairer than that, simples...
  • Options
    ColinTat said:

Stay at Bradford, and not go up this year he could be gone by next season if he doesn't look like getting promoted.

That's the truth of the matter. Bradford will soon forget the good season they've had this year if it isn't quite the same next year so you can't blame Parky if he thinks selfishly. A week is a long time in Football so if you get the cahnce to 'better yourself' now, you have to take it because the opportunity might not come around again.

• Options
    Phil McNulty ‏@philmcnulty
    Bradford City's Phil Parkinson has turned down chance to speak to Blackpool about their managerial vacancy. Official approach made Thursday.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    masicat said:

Lets just say those who thought he was crap have been proven wrong, and those who thought otherwise proven right. Can't say fairer than that, simples...

Would maybe agree with this if he wasn't managing 2 levels below where he took over for us.

That said good luck to him and would be brilliant if he won the cup or gets another crack at a higher level to prove himself.

Like the ex that was a lovely sort but never really did it for you but you genuinely wish her well and hope she meets someone to share her interest in Victorian follys and passion for cross stitch.
  • Options
    Fair play parky
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Appointing from within when sacking Pardew was a big, fat obvious mistake, we were in a right mess and needed a clean slate that was clear, might as well have kept Pardew on tbh, would have saved a few million from that blood-sucker too. The rot was set in, and without radical overhaul it was hard too see how anything would change. We were on a terrible run that continued under Parky, even though performances eventually picked up.

It's a perfectly reasonable viewpoint to blame Parky for the continued bad results when he took over. But I don't think it is reasonable to let that blind you to the sterling work he then did in extremely challenging circumstances for the next season and a half - to be consistent you could never forgive SCP for the absolutely shocking downturn in results when he took over - the comparison between the results of the first half and second half of that season are in incredibly stark contrast, SCP made a totally miserable start to his managerial career and that's despite boosting the team with BWP.

Parky has certainly shown that he can take L1/L2 clubs in financial meltdown / basket-case situation - beg, steal, borrow players (sometimes paying for them out of his own pocket) and unexpectedly get them into play off contention - he has further now beaten three Premier League clubs in a row with a L2 team. Very, very good, to deny that is foolish.

Hope he turns down Blackpool and sees what he can carry on achieving at Bradford this season.
  • Options
    My view on Parkinson is that at the time he was sacked it was completely unfair, I believe Parkinson had a Curbs knack of getting the best out of poor players while grinding out results without particularly playing attractive football. In hindsight I also believe it was the right decision as If Parkinson had money to spend I don't believe he would have spent it as wisely as Chrisy has.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    What done for Parky wasn't whether he was a good or bad manager.

It was the toxic atmosphere during home games at TheValley.
    Often before the first whistle was blown.

The team could never progress with that mood.
    Something had to change, so Parky was shown the door.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Parkinson was sacked because Powell was available and the club needed new blood and a kick in the arse to get it moving forward quickly and to get some good publicity. If P P had been given the same resources as Powell, in all probability he would have got us promoted. But Powell has given the club a bit of zing, a bit of excitement. PP is doing OK at Bradford, by no means a shabby outfit as evidenced by their cup run.
  • Options
    Have to disagree there, Lincs .........Parky was sacked on the back of that dreadful Swindon result and the hostile atmosphere against him at The Valley.

Peacock stepped in, and the new Board approached Ernie Howe to become manager.
    Howe turned us down.

It was almost 3 weeks after Parky was sacked that Powell was appointed manager.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Have to disagree there, Lincs .........Parky was sacked on the back of that dreadful Swindon result and the hostile atmosphere against him at The Valley.

Peacock stepped in, and the new Board approached Ernie Howe to become manager.
    Howe turned us down.

It was almost 3 weeks after Parky was sacked that Powell was appointed manager.

Oggy .. I defer to your greater knowledge .. would Howe have been an even better bet than Powell ? .. we will never know
  • Options
    Agree, Lincs ....... I guess we'll never really know. Howe was very highly rated at the time.
  • Options
    I think he should have taken the Blackpool chance. It maybe not come again. He's one 2-0 defeat away from possibly ending up with a nothing season.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Oggy Red said:

Agree, Lincs ....... I guess we'll never really know. Howe was very highly rated at the time.

as you know, Howe is back at B'Mouth after relative failure at Burnley .. B'Mouth are absolutely flying .. It seems that Howe and B'M are made for each other
  • Options
    There's always Johnny's paintpot trophy - Bradford are in the semi's.

And Bradford only 3 points short of an automatic promotion spot.

Going for the treble ;o)
  • Options
    Bradford is the proverbially sleeping giant
  • Options

I expect Parky starts training by singing a song he learned at Charlton:

"Wake up, wake up you sleepy heads,
    Get up, get up, get out of bed,
    Cheer up cheer up the sun is red ...."

I expect Henry knows the next line.

;o)
  • Options
    edited January 2013
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

What done for Parky wasn't whether he was a good or bad manager.

It was the toxic atmosphere during home games at TheValley.
    Often before the first whistle was blown.

The team could never progress with that mood.
    Something had to change, so Parky was shown the door.

Well said, Oggy.

Let's hope we never experience that kind of "atmosphere" at The Valley again.

• Options
    masicat said:

Where did Bradford finish last season.

Let's just say everyone has their own views and leave it at at, mmmk.
  • Options
    I wonder if he'd taken the Blackpool job if Bradford weren't on the verge of a major cup final?
  • Options
    Don't think he would
    Showing a bit of loyalty to those who showed faith in him!
    Feels he's working with a good team he built
    Why does every want to knock the guy
  • Options
    Loyalty there doesn't seem to much of it about at moment in football!
  • Options

I wonder if he'd taken the Blackpool job if Bradford weren't on the verge of a major cup final?

But you could also wonder if he would have been considered for the Blackpool job if Bradford weren't on the verge of a major cup final?
  • Options

Don't think he would
    Showing a bit of loyalty to those who showed faith in him!
    Feels he's working with a good team he built
    Why does every want to knock the guy

Nobody is knocking him. Only those whose football knowledge has been proven to be on a par with my granny. Good solid manager who will continue to be successful given time and money.....like Sir Alex was...
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

I expect Parky starts training by singing a song he learned at Charlton:

"Wake up, wake up you sleepy heads,
    Get up, get up, get out of bed,
    Cheer up cheer up the sun is red ...."

I expect Henry knows the next line.

;o)
    I do but anyone who doesn't isn't a real Charlton fan. : - )
  • Options
    Parky and fergie in the same breath and you talk of your grannys football knowledge

• Options

Parky and fergie in the same breath and you talk of your grannys football knowledge

Good solid point