Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Shops that will be next to disappear

With the recent collapse of Comet and HMV, what will be next to go?

Blockbusters must be up there? Clintons are on the way out too aren't they? And I'd love to know how Wimpy still manage to keep going. Never ever seen any more than about 3-4 customers in the one in Welling.

Comments

• Options
    had the same conversation with a few mates in the pub the other day, Blockbusters came up there too, I know they don't just rent video's / dvd's now, but they must surely be struggling somewhat and been effected by sky/internet
  • Options
    I've heard that Francis Chappel's business is dying...
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I reckon C & A and Woolworths will be the next to go.

Bought my Crombie in C & A with my first month's wages in October 1971.

;o)
  • Options
    Wimpy do everything in pence too. Definitely something fishy going on.
  • Options
    A good way to gauge this is how many email offers you get from companies and the offers.
    I have seen a big increase in email offers from many of the shops that have gone under.

• Options
    JT said:

Wimpy do everything in pence too. Definitely something fishy going on.

Wimpy have had their chips. Business is bergered.

• Options
    Blockbusters, GAME and longer down the line WH Smiths, no need for them now what with eBooks, iTunes and being able to download whole games onto PS3's and XBOX's
  • Options
    I've edited one post. Please be aware not to say anything potentially libellous about a company, ta.
  • Options
    WHSmith-rubbish shop. Used to be so good but now it seems to be living on borrowed time.
  • Options
    WHSmiths must be struggling. Although you can't get e-sellotape, yet.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Most WH Smith shops are in stations, airports, service stations etc so they must make a fair bit of money from those
  • Options
    Wimpy is effectively a franchise business. Their units will be leased out to franchise owners.
  • Options
    edited January 2013

WHSmith-rubbish shop. Used to be so good but now it seems to be living on borrowed time.

You can reckon to often pay a higher price in WHS than elsewhere.

• Options
    Do question the mentality of some companies in opening units that are clearly not going to work.

WH Smith opened a unit opposite Cannon St a few months ago, i laughed when i saw it and thought i wonder how long this will last as it is never going to work. It's position is just wrong, and its frontage (like @DaveMehmet), is particularly uninviting.

I've barely seen anyone go in there over the past few months.
  • Options
    i know they are restaurants and not shops but any one of the indian restaurants up sidcup high street - there are hundreds of them with nobody in
  • Options
    Yeah i never understand why restaurants do that. Opposite the Three Blackbirds at Blendon there was a perfectly decent curry house (Saggor) and then about 3 years ago, another one opened 2-3 doors away. They're both still there but surely the newer one could've found a better spot.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Would love to see Tesco go under, not that its gonna
  • Options
    Think you might have a wait on your hands for that one
  • Options
    Maplin
  • Options
    It seems that Tesco won't be happy until they put every independent shop (let alone competitor supermarkets) out of business.

Forget crackpot dictators - Tesco could one day rule the world.

Nailed on. FACT!

;o)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Debenhams
  • Options
    pretty sure wimpy is a frenchfries. the company went down the bog years ago. you can tell this by the crazy prices they charge in woolwich. bit off topic but felt gutted when the woolwich pie n mash shop went. rubbish food but just felt right it being there.
  • Options
    PL54 said:

Maplin

Now that would be a shame. The staff at my nearest branch are always happy to share their knowledge.
  • Options
    Same as the one next to my office - you can't get through the door before you are asked why you are there !

Don't see many people buying stuff though and margins must be very low.
  • Options
    BHS.

and one of the two £ stores next to each other in Bexleyheath.
  • Options
    Whoever employs Trevor Moore next :-)
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

You really wouldn't as that really would be the end for this country if that happened !
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

It seems that Tesco won't be happy until they put every independent shop (let alone competitor supermarkets) out of business.

Forget crackpot dictators - Tesco could one day rule the world.

Nailed on. FACT!

;o)

Tesco = The devils work!
  • Options
    Macronate said:

BHS.

and one of the two £ stores next to each other in Bexleyheath.

Never understood why they did that..

• Options
    BIG_ROB said:

Tesco USA 'Fresh and Easy' being sold / closing.