Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Shops that will be next to disappear

Comments

• Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Halfords hopefully useless at car servicing/repairs etc, never had such a bad experiance, never again.

They must be doing something right as Pinarello (the manufacturer that was making Team Skys road bikes) are now using them as their official UK outlet now.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2013/jan/15/halfords-pinarello-bikes-bradley-wiggins

Strange one that! Low end of the market bikes on the racks with Pinarello's. Perhaps Evans didn't want the sale.

• Options
    Is Burger King just a hunch @CAFCElite or has their been news on this?

• Options
    Yeah why Burger King?
  • Options
    BHS? They're getting worse and worse - more and more utter tat clothes, with less and less stock (always a precursor to going out of business when the stock's not replenished). They'll get replaced by M&S as their stuff hurtles downwards in price.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    CAFCElite said:

Superdrug,Burger King...They will go next....Oh and maybe Holland and Barratt

Superdrug will survive longer than Boots. In fact, pharmacies - although not exactly recession proof - will always exist, since you can't buy a lot of what they sell online. If that ever changes, they'll be out of business quicker than you can blink. And I can't see Burger King disappearing any time soon. People always want at least the illusion of choice, so there will always be a large competitor to McDonald's. In any case, fast-food outlets are almost exclusively franchised - there's no end of idiots queueing up to work their fingers to the bone for 16 hours a day over 25 years to retire on a tiny pension whislt making the banner company & its shareholders rich.
  • Options
    Hopefully Burger king, Shit overpriced microwave burgers.
  • Options
    Nicholas said:

Yeah lets hope another 5000 people lose their jobs

• Options
    You know its not meant like that so do be a tart.
  • Options
    Burger King won't go . They are a highly profitable company.
  • Options
    Burger King is soooooooooooo much better than McDonald's,
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Burger King is soooooooooooo much better than McDonald's,

Errrrr......... Nah

• Options
    DanDavis said:

Marks & Spencers. Living off past glories.

Agreed - they were always good at doing good quality basic / classics like plain polo shirts and stuff like that - now they have badges and nonsense all over everything and the quality is crap as they try to compete with the chinese stuff. They need to get back to basics. They need a new motto 'We've dropped the nonsense'
    I don't agree with M&S actually, yeah their clothing range isn't exactly hipster but it certainly serves a purpose for a certain age group.

And their food section is awesome, I think they could survive of that alone if it came to it.
    I think that's a very strong argument
  • Options
    WH Smiths have gotta be the next to go, they don't offer anything unique and what they do sell is fairly expensive. They're another retailer that is being superseded by the internet and supermarkets.
  • Options
    Argos was talked about before but I have just read the Autumn report they put out. They are with us for a long time to come.
  • Options

Argos was talked about before but I have just read the Autumn report they put out. They are with us for a long time to come.

Surprising though - you look through a catalogue, order and then sit and wait for the item. Just like buying it on the net only with more hassle.

• Options
    edited January 2013

They're scaling back the paper catalogues and are aiming for an all online experience now, arent they...whether at home or in the shop itself (think I read that somewhere, anyway!)

• Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

They're scaling back the paper catalogues and are aiming for an all online experience now, arent they...whether at home or in the shop itself (think I read that somewhere, anyway!)

That is what the report says, click and collect at keen internet prices. How they can do this with so many stores and staff is a bit beyond me. I guess they have invested lots of profit over the years in the right places.
  • Options
    Supa Electrics - Orpington High Street. I don't know how a small, overpriced retailer of washing machines and toasters survives in the current climate. Always empty and can't imagine anyone who would buy from there these days.
  • Options
    Talking of Argos....here is the complete 1986 Catalogue....some awesome nostalgia right here!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38301877@N05/sets/72157619081815831/with/3591019798/
  • Options
    DanDavis said:

Talking of Argos....here is the complete 1986 Catalogue....some awesome nostalgia right here!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38301877@N05/sets/72157619081815831/with/3591019798/

Where is the like button?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The shop that always amazes me is the gift shop just to the left of the main entrance at Bexleyheath Broadway. Think it's called Gallery Gifts and has been there since the centre opened I think. From the window it looks like it's full of cheap tat.
  • Options
    DanDavis said:

nice prices
  • Options

The shop that always amazes me is the gift shop just to the left of the main entrance at Bexleyheath Broadway. Think it's called Gallery Gifts and has been there since the centre opened I think. From the window it looks like it's full of cheap tat.

That costs hundreds of £

• Options
    SWANLEY
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    DanDavis said:

Nicholas said:

Yeah lets hope another 5000 people lose their jobs

5,000 students and minimum wage youngsters.

At present, there's bugger all else out there for most of them.
  • Options

DanDavis said:

nice prices
    The model advertising the weights is Wolf from gladiators
  • Options

DanDavis said:

nice prices
    The model advertising the weights is Wolf from gladiators
    Howling ? ... he must be an old dog nowadays
  • Options
    Off topic a wee bit .. there are a couple of shops in Cleethorpes, in an old fashioned 'resort style' parade of shops, tea rooms, cafés etc which are a marvel. One is a wool and knitters shop, the other a model toy shop. How they survive I do not know. I have been here for 7 years, people tell me the wool shop has been open, relatively unchanged with the same owner since the early 70s, a similar story for the model shop. Discounting the idea that they are covers for nefarious activity, it must be that these shop are as much a hobby as a viable business
  • Options
    edited January 2013

Off topic a wee bit .. there are a couple of shops in Cleethorpes, in an old fashioned 'resort style' parade of shops, tea rooms, cafés etc which are a marvel. One is a wool and knitters shop, the other a model toy shop. How they survive I do not know. I have been here for 7 years, people tell me the wool shop has been open, relatively unchanged with the same owner since the early 70s, a similar story for the model shop. Discounting the idea that they are covers for nefarious activity, it must be that these shop are as much a hobby as a viable business

Don't underestimate the black market for Ginsters, Werthers and Blue Rinse.
  • Options
    you can get cornish pastys on the black market?