Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Shops that will be next to disappear

Comments

• Options
    cafcfan said:

Suggestions about WH Smith are way off the mark. They make reasonable profits which have been steadily rising in recent years with broker consensus being a strong buy for their shares. They have a huge presence in travel, airports and the like, and those places make great money selling travel adaptors, books and magazines. They also have a good on-line presence through funkypigeon.

Mothercare is more interesting. Big loss for ye March '12 (probably mostly write-offs following restructuring). If another loss follows and trading has been weak in the UK, who knows. But they have 3 times the number of shops overseas that they have here and those have done well.

Mothercare should be safe, people will never stop having babies!
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    supaclive said:

Dixons is online only anyway! (Isn't it?!)

The company, Dixons Retail plc trades as Currys Digital and PC World on the high street. I don't think there's any Dixons web site either now. They bought Pixmania and do on-line sales through that as well as Currys & PC World.
    I've always thought it very odd indeed that they have a Currys and PC World next door to each other in Charlton with a huge overlap on product ranges. They've made quite substantial losses over the last few years but maybe the demise of Comet will do then a great favour.
  • Options
    There's a couple of things on here which people are just guessing.

Gravesend isn't actually that bad in terms of shops. There is an M&S, Debenhams, BHS and new places have opened recently such as Burger King. Compared to Dartford it's quite buoyant.

Also, anyone who thinks Game are going soon is so wrong. They were looking to buy some HMV locations and are set to make a £20m profit this year even before the new consoles come out.
  • Options
    Kermy said:

There's a couple of things on here which people are just guessing.

Gravesend isn't actually that bad in terms of shops. There is an M&S, Debenhams, BHS and new places have opened recently such as Burger King. Compared to Dartford it's quite buoyant.

Also, anyone who thinks Game are going soon is so wrong. They were looking to buy some HMV locations and are set to make a £20m profit this year even before the new consoles come out.

Gravesham started making their car parks free on a weekend to compete with Bluewater, is that still the case?
  • Options
    Cant see Dixons going anytime soon - not only are they one of the last chain electrical stores around they are doing alot behind the scenes with their distribution network and repair centre.
  • Options
    Bluewater killed Dartford twelve years ago.lots of lowfield street boarded up,no new Tesco,the old co op closed years ago.
  • Options
    i reckon one of the Pizza outlets -- and when it happens they will top themseves
  • Options
    When the economy picks up again all the cash convertors , 99p shops and pawn shops will go
  • Options
    Homebase, Pet Store and WHS I can see going soon, must have huge overheads and never hardly see anyone in them.
  • Options
    supaclive said:

Dixons is online only anyway! (Isn't it?!)

Dixons is at all the Heathrow terminals.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Bluewater killed Dartford twelve years ago.lots of lowfield street boarded up,no new Tesco,the old co op closed years ago.

Lakeside started the slide down hill, Bluewater was the final stab in the back.
  • Options
    I walked past Jacobs in Cannon Street this afternoon; they had the shutters down. Last year the closed seven shops. Anyone know if they are in more trouble or are they just having a stock take? http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/photo-news/538841/camera-chain-jacobs-shuts-seven-stores-axes-jobs
  • Options
    Stig said:

I walked past Jacobs in Cannon Street this afternoon; they had the shutters down. Last year the closed seven shops. Anyone know if they are in more trouble or are they just having a stock take? http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/photo-news/538841/camera-chain-jacobs-shuts-seven-stores-axes-jobs

I think that went last year Stig, just a few days after the first batch of stores.

http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/Internet-shopping-spells-end-Leicestershire/story-16420179-detail/story.html

They left only Leicester & there was a sell-off of all stock in August, so I assume that went too.
  • Options
    Cheers Tel. What is it with Leicester; that's where Jessops was based.
  • Options
    I've heard Jacobs are cream crackered.
  • Options
    Wondered how long were going to have to wafer that.
  • Options
    Oh crumbs sorry.
  • Options
    They tried to close three shops in 2 minutes but it simply couldn't be done.
  • Options
    Based on my experience today I'd say Maplin's. I wanted a usb extension lead and was quoted £9 for one. Sensing a rip-off I declined, and ordered a better one (30cm longer) via a popular tax-free website for just £1.18
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Oh crumbs sorry.

That takes the biscuit

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stig said:

Based on my experience today I'd say Maplin's. I wanted a usb extension lead and was quoted £9 for one. Sensing a rip-off I declined, and ordered a better one (30cm longer) via a popular tax-free website for just £1.18

Maplins have ALWAYS been shit, overpriced tat. They put all the local electrical retailers out of business a few years ago - now the internet is about to do the same thing to them. I don't think I've ever walked into one and found a staff member who knew anything about what I was there to buy - the only way they manage to exist is by inflating prices for items that people need there and then. That business model is viable if it's something people need often - which ain't the case for the stuff they sell. Bye bye.
  • Options
    Managed to use my HMV vouchers on Saturday evening at the main Bluewater store. Good job too as it had gone by Monday! Boarded up.
  • Options
    The magic shop around the corner has disappeared.
  • Options
    I think that most shops on the high street will disappear within a few years. This has to do with mega supermarkets where you can do your one stop shopping, the growth of internet shopping and parking issues in town centres. Because of this we are loosing our ability to communicate with each other. When I were a lad, the high street was THE meeting and social point of the community. The simple truth is that high street shops cannot compete with supermarkets and the internet. :-(
  • Options
    The paper shop has blown away

• Options
    IdleHans said:

The paper shop has blown away

Very good :-))

• Options
    Like others have said the high street is dead, big supermarket developments and the Internet have finished them off. The next step? Admit defeat in the high street and convert from commercial to residential with a small area left for businesses who require a physical presence.
  • Options
    The origami shop has folded.
  • Options
    TK Maxx? Shelves were very empty in the Portsmouth branch last Saturday.
  • Options
    johnny73 said:

Like others have said the high street is dead, big supermarket developments and the Internet have finished them off. The next step? Admit defeat in the high street and convert from commercial to residential with a small area left for businesses who require a physical presence.

Without trying to sound too controversial . sounds like a cunning government plan to increase building more housing to overcome immigration/housing problems, dons tin hat.