Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Shops that will be next to disappear

Comments

• Options
    JT said:

Debenhams

Following my email comment you might well be right, I get at least 2 a day from them
  • Options
    The title of the thread may be a give-away - Next to disappear!
  • Options
    I don't think it'll be Next, they're going great guns. The City love them at the moment, shares have gone through the roof.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Trouble is it's a bit of a self fulfilling prophecy isn't it? Speculation like this or that surrounding Thompsons holidays(?) last year just adds to the companies problems even if they are actually in no real danger of going under.

Whatever people do make sure that you pay for expensive items using a credit card, even if it's only the deposit, then you have at least the security of getting it back from Barclaycard or whoever*.

Remember it's the cash price of the good that needs to be over £100 not what you put on the card.

*incidentally the banks absolutely loath S.75 of the CC Act and have been lobbying successive governments for decades about getting rid of it so will be interesting to see if they have another go in the light of the Comets, Jessops, etc.
  • Options
    Anne Summers - the bottom has fallen out of crotchless panties!
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Portsmouth club shop
  • Options

WHSmith-rubbish shop. Used to be so good but now it seems to be living on borrowed time.

If it stuck to it's stationary/papers business, it would do okay - but it's just a sweet shop nowadays. Tried to buy some envelopes in one recently only to be told that they don't stock them. But they have shelves and shelves full of chocolate and biscuits!

I stole the enveloples from the office in the end :-)
  • Options

I don't think it'll be Next, they're going great guns. The City love them at the moment, shares have gone through the roof.

Glad to hear it. I was only trying to be amusing and don't want anyone out of work or bankrupt etc.
  • Options
    Robert Dyas. I often wonder how they've survived. There used to be one near Leadenhall Market (not sure if it's still there), but always had more browsers than payers during the lunch hour. Still full of stuff you only buy now and then, but seem to be going strong.

• Options

Robert Dyas. I often wonder how they've survived. There used to be one near Leadenhall Market (not sure if it's still there), but always had more browsers than payers during the lunch hour. Still full of stuff you only buy now and then, but seem to be going strong.

Cause they charge 1800 quid for a toaster!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Blockbusters have just gone into administration....
  • Options
    Just heard that Blockbusters have had to appoint administrators
  • Options

I see your Robert Dyas and raise Milletts ;) Thought of a new Moniker yet?
  • Options
    The one in the City does a roaring trade and is still going strong because there aren't many stores of its type in that specific area. An area which has 1000's of workers in its catchment area. We use it in our office for emergencies.

• Options
    Blimey the power of CL.

We're coming for you Tesco....
  • Options
    So one correct, who's next now?
  • Options
    Wimpy staff are panicking
  • Options
    I predict Superdrug
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

Cause they charge 1800 quid for a toaster!
    Put me down for two then, I need something to cook my Tesco burgers in.
  • Options
    JWADDICK said:

I see your Robert Dyas and raise Milletts ;) Thought of a new Moniker yet?
    I'm doing OK. I've got a nice line in blue six fingered gloves if you know any Millwall fans.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    BIG_ROB said:

I predict Superdrug

Superdrug is owned by the A S watsons which is part of the Hutchison conglomerate.

• Options

BIG_ROB said:

I predict Superdrug

Superdrug is owned by the A S watsons which is part of the Hutchison conglomerate.

Are they in the shit?

• Options
    I think Superdrug will be fine. Again another place you need to visit really to pick up bits and pieces.

• Options
    Blockbuster just gone with 4000 jobs.
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

BIG_ROB said:

I predict Superdrug

Are they in the shit?

Far from it.

Hutchison is the 2nd largest port operator in the world, they own Orange and other telcoms plus numerous other companies
  • Options
    Blacks
  • Options
    No doubt all the blockbusters and HMVs will be converted into more bloody Starbucks shops. I hate all those coffee shops that have taken over the country.
  • Options
    Will soon just be Supermarkets, Coffee shops & Nandos
  • Options
    Oh yeah forgot about that overpriced chicken with a bit of hot sauce on.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Wilkinson is the 'new' Woolworth .. how long will it last ? ... most any chain relying on book, music and DVD sales is in danger. The Co-op will have a lingering death and ... wait for it ..... Morrisons and M&S will need to downsize to survive against the likes of Asda, Aldi and Tesco, 3 HUGE companies with fingers in every conceivable pie

EDIT: Add to my list Wickes, Curries, Bhs, most sportswear & fmcd shops and stores selling white goods (fridges etc) or CD players, TVs and such .. that is just about the entire high street except for large chain stores selling cheap clothing ..