Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Play Offs - Yes or No?

Comments

• Options

I hate the Premiership bullshit and greed machine, BUT the cash and parachute payments could get us out of financial strife.

Exactly how i feel. Lesser of 2 evils.

• Options

I cannot understand why any Charlton fan would not want us to get promoted this season (as much as i dont think we will) unless you have a genuine hatred of the league and all it involves.

If you spend sensibly and dont do a portsmouth it can set a club up for years like Fulham for instance.

agreed. why turn up every week? if we beat wednesday and palace and are sitting about 8th and 2 points outside the play off are there gonna be fans saying' i hope we lose today as we're getting to close to the play offs'. have we forgotten 98 already? we went straight down the year after that as well. some very strange comments. if you would rather have 12th then a play off spot then you're interested in the wrong sport. the drama, ecstasy and agony of the play offs is what football is all about and if we could get a place this season i would say bring it on.
  • Options
    Why not. Surely you want to finish as high as you can
  • Options

Look at the last time we won the playoffs. We clearly were not ready for the prem but by not overspending and buying well when we went down it laid the foundation for the championship season and our long run as a premiership team

Last time we won the play-offs we'd established ourselves in the division over the preceding seasons and had a play-off shot a couple of seasons earlier losing to Palarse.

I won't turn it down if it happens but I don't think we (yet) have the consistency, especially at home, to get there anyway in a tight division like this.

• Options
    If you reach the playoffs then you deserve to be there, you are good enough.

You dont get there by accident and only time will tell.

Our form of results almost looks like a mathematical pattern.

I think a mid table finish would be a great 1st season back, which is where I think we will end up.
  • Options
    Definately no, reality check required.

This club is still building the foundation stones and the teams above us are miles better.

We are just as likely to go on a 6 or 7 match run without a win as we did before. I also think some of the teams currently below us will put in a run towards the end of the season.

The prem is a lot harder than it was when we went up in 2000, i dont want to watch Charlton getting hammered every week.
  • Options
    Can't disagree with the let's take the money and run approach if we were to get promoted via the play offs but not at the expense of the owners, existing or new, losing patience with CP like Saints have with Adkins not to mention the Blackburn farce. Having just risen from the ashes with our messiah, the last thing we need is to have another period of unrest within the club and amongst the fans if CP's services were to be dispensed with after struggling early doors back in the prem. Ask a Saints or Rovers fan how they feel right now!
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Norwich and Southampton established themselves in the Championship first - oh hang on - no they didn't! We have played the top 2 in this league and beaten them. We have beaten a Watford team away, who apart from playing us are flying. We have beaten a Blackburn team away who had picked up and had a new manager - You don't do that unless there is something about you.

If we beat Sheff Wed at the Valley then get a result against a Palace team who have only won 2 in 10 -we won't be far off 6th. We shouldn't demand it but what is wrong with the club aiming for it - it is a possibility.

It is true we shouldn't get negative and nasty if it doesn't happen, but some of the arguments about wanting to get to Wembley and lose!!!!! Unbelievable.
  • Options
    The chance to see us play

Man yoo
    Chelski
    Citeh

Or bristle citeh
    Pboro
    Mill small
    Palarse

Top section wins every single time
  • Options
    People are actually saying they don't want promotion to the Premier League ! If its such a bad thing lets run a vote

Agree or disagree :

I want Palace and Millwall to win promotion to the Premier League this season
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Progress is being made I would say,so let's grow over this and next season and enjoy not losing so many games,as has been said bigger gates are nice,but a lot moaners is something I don't fancy.
  • Options
    I don't think we will get there and I would not want the fans to get carried away and the weight of expectation cause the season to de rail as we know that bar spuds this club has a very big percentage of fickle support base

Just go about the job quietly and professionally and see what happens
  • Options
    Yes, let's wait and grow gradually and possibly lose Solly, Stephens, Pritchard and Hamer in the summer. You take your opportunities WHEN they are there IMO. If they are there this season, we take them this season.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Can't disagree with the let's take the money and run approach if we were to get promoted via the play offs but not at the expense of the owners, existing or new, losing patience with CP like Saints have with Adkins not to mention the Blackburn farce. Having just risen from the ashes with our messiah, the last thing we need is to have another period of unrest within the club and amongst the fans if CP's services were to be dispensed with after struggling early doors back in the prem. Ask a Saints or Rovers fan how they feel right now!

so you're saying get close the play offs but not too close? if we win our next three games we should try and lose a couple or we might get the dreaded promotion? comparing us to other clubs like saints and blackburn doesn't stand as an argument for me. every club is different. southampton are not in the bottom three and why don't we ask a norwich fan on there current league status if that's the point your making?
  • Options
    Does this thread officially mean that relegation is off the cards then?

That will disappoint some who were convinced that CP was going to lead us back to Div 1. Oh well.
  • Options

RedChaser said:

so you're saying get close the play offs but not too close? if we win our next three games we should try and lose a couple or we might get the dreaded promotion? comparing us to other clubs like saints and blackburn doesn't stand as an argument for me. every club is different. southampton are not in the bottom three and why don't we ask a norwich fan on there current league status if that's the point your making?
    Literally no one is saying "I hope we lose this game" - your twisting people's words when you insinuate that's what they are saying.

If you go back then you will see that people have articulated why for them, right now, the many negatives of playing in the Prem right now outweigh being able to say "we're playing Man United this week".
  • Options
    What is wrong with some of you?? Seriously.

As a fan, I want us to do the best as possible and if it means promotion back to the premiership not only I will be hugely surprised, I will be very proud of Charlton. Not start moaning about plastic fans and ticket pricing.
  • Options
    Charlton owners get your wallets out for a top ten finish.
  • Options
    edited January 2013

RedChaser said:

Calm down, calm down where have I said I don't want to get to to the play offs. What I don't want is the turmoil and upheaval that could follow if we were to get promoted then struggle next season with CP ending up binned off like Adkins. Re read my post please.
  • Options

The chance to see us play

Man yoo
    Chelski
    Citeh

Or bristle citeh
    Pboro
    Mill small
    Palarse

Top section wins every single time

And going into each game what sort of result would you be expecting ? What would the likely score be ? What sort of Charlton fans would surround you at each game ? How much would pay to see the games in each section ? Away from home ? If the worst happened and we lost, we'd definately bounce back next week, right ?

As I said, I love Charlton and want to see us win every game, for me the question isn't as simple as "would you rather we play Manchester United or Peterborough" ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:

RedChaser said:

Literally no one is saying "I hope we lose this game" - your twisting people's words when you insinuate that's what they are saying.

If you go back then you will see that people have articulated why for them, right now, the many negatives of playing in the Prem right now outweigh being able to say "we're playing Man United this week".

it's very easy to say i don't want something when it seems unlikely. if we had sorted our home form out and had 10 more points on the board this thread would sound very different. Don't understand the many negatives either. unless the positives we have no coverage, a half filled stadium and we get to play barnsley, huddersfield, watford, ipswich instead of man united, arsenal. liverpool, chelsea, everton, newcastle etc. i respect others point of view but i can't get my head around the fact they would rather play in the championship than the premier league. as for prices- our home attendances would increase by 10.000 and our away support would quadruple. Can't see us taking 411 to old trafford.
  • Options
    Cant believe the mentality of some people saying they dont want us to get to the Playoffs !!!!
    What sort of supporter is that ??!!
  • Options
    People should bear in mind that our run to the play offs came after five years back at the Valley during which time we quietly and patiently built up a club from near death and that involved a lot of stuff behind the scenes. We inevitably destroyed a lot of that infrastructure during our descent into hell since 2006, because that infrastructure costs money, and your need a lot of it in place if you want to survive in the Prem. Reading still have it because they were recently up there, and Southampton have the Liebherr millions and a long established academy. Next season, with SCP at the helm, and hopefully new investors, we can go for it from the start.
  • Options
    And another thing. Not all the players at Prem level are money grabbing mercenaries. We had some absolute gems. Some of my favourite ever Charlton players did it for us in the Prem. I would completely trust SCP to sort any wheat from chaff and sign players in the mould of our current squad.
  • Options
    Its interesting how many people are happy with mid table yet when we have a few bad matches on the run (which is fairly inevitable for a mid table team) they act like its the end of the world and that relegation is nigh.
  • Options
    No, but maybe top 10
  • Options

People should bear in mind that our run to the play offs came after five years back at the Valley during which time we quietly and patiently built up a club from near death and that involved a lot of stuff behind the scenes. We inevitably destroyed a lot of that infrastructure during our descent into hell since 2006, because that infrastructure costs money, and your need a lot of it in place if you want to survive in the Prem. Reading still have it because they were recently up there, and Southampton have the Liebherr millions and a long established academy. Next season, with SCP at the helm, and hopefully new investors, we can go for it from the start.

This. Plus what Oz reminded us from the NWKA Q & A with SCP.

"Slowly, slowly, catchee monkey " comes to mind.

• Options
    Yes, the Prem would be too soon. It wouldn't be a good thing to sneak up through the play offs this season unless we had some serious backing, which we don't. Even Swansea did it slowly and consolidated as a decent championship club first.
  • Options

Cant believe the mentality of some people saying they dont want us to get to the Playoffs !!!!
    What sort of supporter is that ??!!

Without wishing to be rude, it is a supporter trying to look wise and clever. The chances are we won't do it and then they can say -well I said it all along. But the point is, we CAN do it -not that we necessarily will. If you can achieve something, you should try to, and aspire to, surely!

And, with the fact that financially, there is some uncertainty in the club, the money we would gain would go a long way to giving us some stability we haven't had for a good while. If we were a bit more stable financially at present, I accept there could be a scenario where you can say we should build gradually for a big push next season -although I still think you take it when it's there - but we don't know that we will be as strong next season the way things are at present.
  • Options
    Why not ? .. I'm old fashioned and just like to see the team keep winning games. Keep winning games you get success.