Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Play Offs - Yes or No?

Comments

• Options
    Lose our next 2 games and people will be worrying about relegation again!
  • Options
    true, but we are in that middle position where you can push on, fade out or slip up.
  • Options
    People are just cautious and don't want to see the possibility of our club getting thrashed week in week out in the premiership.

After 46 games, that will show how good we are.
  • Options

Cant believe the mentality of some people saying they dont want us to get to the Playoffs !!!!
    What sort of supporter is that ??!!

Without wishing to be rude, it is a supporter trying to look wise and clever. The chances are we won't do it and then they can say -well I said it all along. But the point is, we CAN do it -not that we necessarily will. If you can achieve something, you should try to, and aspire to, surely!

And, with the fact that financially, there is some uncertainty in the club, the money we would gain would go a long way to giving us some stability we haven't had for a good while. If we were a bit more stable financially at present, I accept there could be a scenario where you can say we should build gradually for a big push next season -although I still think you take it when it's there - but we don't know that we will be as strong next season the way things are at present.
    Totally agree Mutts.
    Some while back there were comments that people couldnt stand Wall and Palace going up because of the thought of them getting parachute money for x years.

• Options
    If we made the play offs and went up it'd be brilliant. Not much fun getting thumped 4-0 every week but the new tv deal kicks in next season and i think i've read it's worth £65m just for finishing bottom. We'll have some of that!

However if we made the play offs and lost, that could result in the team being gutted and having a hangover into next season.

I personally would settle for a decent end to the season and a top half finish but i can't understand anyone who says they don't want us to go up.
  • Options
    edited January 2013

se9addick said:

RedChaser said:

Can't disagree with the let's take the money and run approach if we were to get promoted via the play offs but not at the expense of the owners, existing or new, losing patience with CP like Saints have with Adkins not to mention the Blackburn farce. Having just risen from the ashes with our messiah, the last thing we need is to have another period of unrest within the club and amongst the fans if CP's services were to be dispensed with after struggling early doors back in the prem. Ask a Saints or Rovers fan how they feel right now!

so you're saying get close the play offs but not too close? if we win our next three games we should try and lose a couple or we might get the dreaded promotion? comparing us to other clubs like saints and blackburn doesn't stand as an argument for me. every club is different. southampton are not in the bottom three and why don't we ask a norwich fan on there current league status if that's the point your making?
    Literally no one is saying "I hope we lose this game" - your twisting people's words when you insinuate that's what they are saying.

If you go back then you will see that people have articulated why for them, right now, the many negatives of playing in the Prem right now outweigh being able to say "we're playing Man United this week".

it's very easy to say i don't want something when it seems unlikely. if we had sorted our home form out and had 10 more points on the board this thread would sound very different. Don't understand the many negatives either. unless the positives we have no coverage, a half filled stadium and we get to play barnsley, huddersfield, watford, ipswich instead of man united, arsenal. liverpool, chelsea, everton, newcastle etc. i respect others point of view but i can't get my head around the fact they would rather play in the championship than the premier league. as for prices- our home attendances would increase by 10.000 and our away support would quadruple. Can't see us taking 411 to old trafford.
    I want all the same things as you Stonewall and thoroughly enjoyed the two spells we have had in the top flight during my many years of supporting the club but imo we don't need to run before we can walk this time round. If we do and it goes belly up expect another 5 years at least of what you have just experienced, if not we will have been very fortuitous. For rest of this season I would like us to win as many games as possible to finish as high as possible and see where that takes us but we would need major squad restructuring if we went up and that is no guarantee of success. Yes we could do a Norwich but we could also do a Blackpool. I'm now going to bang my head against another Stonewall :0)
  • Options
    edited January 2013

Lose our next 2 games and people will be worrying about relegation again!

Exactly.

I want us to do as well as possible. Will just see what happens. It's not impossible but not sure we'll be consistent enough.

If we go 1-0 down the 4-5-1 might not look so effective.
  • Options

Cant believe the mentality of some people saying they dont want us to get to the Playoffs !!!!

Without wishing to be rude, it is a supporter trying to look wise and clever. The chances are we won't do it and then they can say -well I said it all along. But the point is, we CAN do it -not that we necessarily will. If you can achieve something, you should try to, and aspire to, surely!

And, with the fact that financially, there is some uncertainty in the club, the money we would gain would go a long way to giving us some stability we haven't had for a good while. If we were a bit more stable financially at present, I accept there could be a scenario where you can say we should build gradually for a big push next season -although I still think you take it when it's there - but we don't know that we will be as strong next season the way things are at present.
    Totally agree Mutts.
    Some while back there were comments that people couldnt stand MillWall and Palace going up because of the thought of them getting parachute money for x years.

Fixed that little bit. Sorry, just a pet hate hearing them called that
  • Options
    The thought of lording it on Scum and Palace forums is good enough reason to want promotion.
  • Options
    edited January 2013

Totally agree Mutts.
    Some while back there were comments that people couldnt stand MillWall and Palace going up because of the thought of them getting parachute money for x years.

Fixed that little bit. Sorry, just a pet hate hearing them called that
    Oi, its my post, i can call the Scumbags what i like. !

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Furry muff

But Shirley you can think of something better than wall (cringe)
  • Options
    As it says in the championship challenge directors cut vid... "dares to believe"
  • Options
    If we get in the playoffs id take it for sure but rather just beat palace and millwall and hopefully finish above them both this season and kick on next
  • Options
    You gotta love CL, a couple of weeks ago and it was doom and gloom and calls for Chris Powell to be sacked, now the debate is about whether we'll make the play-offs.

I'd be happy with finishing in the top 10 but more importantly having a good season. Most of the squad are still developing and we need to find a regular striker to play alongside Yann, BWP get that player in and kick on next season.
  • Options

People are actually saying they don't want promotion to the Premier League ! If its such a bad thing lets run a vote

Agree or disagree :

I want Palace and Millwall to win promotion to the Premier League this season

I love the way everyone just completely ignores you.
  • Options
    Story of my life Ronny. Story of my life.
  • Options
    If Norwich and Southampton can do it why can't we? Just hope we keep this great squad together, they are getting betting and more confident every game. Well done Chris, Alex and all the backstaff team!
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Palarse and the Spanners as clubs can crash and burn for all I care.
  • Options
    Of course we want to get as high as we possibly can. I would love to make the play offs. I would love to get to the final at Wembley and re-live '98 with my son again (he's 29 now) even if we were to lose - it would still be magical. And if we win, that heavenly. sumptuous disbelief/relief/numbness/satisfaction/excitement all over again. Top teams coming to the valley. Away days to the homes of football giants. CP showing all the class leadership to the Prem that clubs in the Football League already know and respect.

Yes, yes and a million times yes.
  • Options
    I still find it amazing that people want us to miss out on promotion lol truly amazing!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sorry but it's a big no from me.

On another thread recently, someone compared this team with the 2000 Championship winning team. Hmm, really can't see that. The 2000 team was packed with quality players - Kiely, Powell, Stuart, Kinsella, Hunt, Mendonca, Barness, a young Parker as well as great stalwarts like Brown, Robinson, Newton. Looking back on it, it was unbelievable that so many class players were together in a Championship team.

By contrast, this is a team of hard-working pros, with a team spirit that shines like a beacon. (Frankly, no real surprise they have done so well in the last 2 games as 10 of the players were here last year and they have shown the same fighting spirit in the last 2 games as was on show last season). But how many really class players do we have now - two maybe in Hamer and Solly? OK you can make the case for a few others like Wiggins, Stephens, Kermorgant, Fuller (if fit) but by and large this is more a hard working team who on their day can get a result rather than a quality one who can roll other teams over on a consistent basis. So probably having won 3 games on the trot, they could easily lose 3 games on the trot.

And there's a worrying lack of depth in the squad. Another couple of injuries and it will be youth players filling in the gaps.

So it's a mid-table finish for me. Nothing wrong with that. If we can keep this squad together and add to it in the summer, who knows what might happen next season.
  • Options
    According to the Fink Tank Predictor (worth looking at if you are statistically minded), our "expected" points total is now 62. This compares to 75 for both Watford and Palace, who are projected to finish in 5th/6th place in the Fink Tank simulations. Based on the same analysis Peterborough will finish 22nd with 45 points.

Obviously, this stuff should be taken with a large pinch of salt, but the approach is well thought through and, whilst subject to significant random noise (in a statistical sense), does seem to produce sensible results on average.

One way of thinking about what the Fink Tank analysis means is to say that we now need to get 13 more points (from just 18 games) than would be "expected" by a solid mid table side to make the Play-Offs or, alternatively, 17 fewer than now expected to finish in the bottom three.

Its now very unlikely indeed that we won't be playing in the Championship next season.

• Options
    I think in 98 - we had a terrific late surge. Parker hadn't established himself yet and you CAN draw comparisons IMO with that side at the start of that season. You forgot to mention Rufus in that side btw which is a pretty massive omission.
  • Options

I think in 98 - we had a terrific late surge. Parker hadn't established himself yet and you CAN draw comparisons IMO with that side at the start of that season. You forgot to mention Rufus in that side btw which is a pretty massive omission.

In 1998 didn't we win nine in a row and then drew at Brum 0-0 in the last game?
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    That is my recollection - and Powell wasn't in that side either!
  • Options
    Don't understand the people who say they wouldn't want to reach the play offs. Would absolutley love it. Can't really see it happening but stranger things have happened...
  • Options
    THEMCA said:

I still find it amazing that people want us to miss out on promotion lol truly amazing!

For me it's a dose of realism, we've played well to date (bar the odd bad performance) and in the matches that we've lost we have rarely been outplayed and given a footballing lesson. If anything we've been out-thought, which suggests to me that things aren't that bad and that we have a decent squad which needs a few additions here and there before we can be a consistent top-ten side.

In a year's time we'll have a squad with more experience under their belts and maybe some new blood will come in to address the weaknesses. Then we can kick on, too much too soon could be a bad thing. The premiership is a pretty unforgiving place at the best of times and seeing basically this squad with a few others chucked in against the likes of Chelsea, Man U etc will not be a pretty sight.

• Options

That is my recollection - and Powell wasn't in that side either!

Just checked it, we won 8 in a row and then drew with Brum.

In the February-May regular league season we won 11, lost three and drew two - if we repeated that we'd end up with 75 points and probably 5th or 6th spot.

• Options
    cant see it but i cant see palace getting in there either when zaha is sold they will fall
  • Options

THEMCA said:

For me it's a dose of realism, we've played well to date (bar the odd bad performance) and in the matches that we've lost we have rarely been outplayed and given a footballing lesson. If anything we've been out-thought, which suggests to me that things aren't that bad and that we have a decent squad which needs a few additions here and there before we can be a consistent top-ten side.

In a year's time we'll have a squad with more experience under their belts and maybe some new blood will come in to address the weaknesses. Then we can kick on, too much too soon could be a bad thing. The premiership is a pretty unforgiving place at the best of times and seeing basically this squad with a few others chucked in against the likes of Chelsea, Man U etc will not be a pretty sight.

As I said previously I don't think we will, but if we do make the play offs how can anyone not want us to win?? Of course the Premier League is unforgiving its the best league in the world. I would love us to make it, even to be relegated and come back stronger. I want my team to compete at the highest level... Wishful thinking but if the possibility was there I want us to grab it with both hands!!