Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v. Sheffield Wednesday Post-match Views 2013

Comments

• Options
    Suppose one consolation of being an exile is that I don't have to endure with frustration our inability to really perform at home.
  • Options
    Redskin said:

mrbligh said:

Never have I seen a player hide like lawrie Wilson hid today. Find a Sheffield Wednesday player and get as close as possible seemed to be his mantra wen we ha the ball. On the odd occasion he did get the ball, he passed it as soon as he could, scared to take any sort of risk. Her final words "enough charity, lets get him off"

You blithering idiot,he was instrumental in our one goal and the little we offered in going forward.

I agree, digging Wilson out today is harsh. I know we feel obliged to have a scapegoat, but I just don't think anyone disgraced themselves today.
  • Options
    B@llocks
    Our home form is B@llocks.

Maybe CP and the boys should spend Friday nights in a hotel in the midlands. Then travel to the game like it's an away game.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I actually thought nobody played badly today, it was just a really shit game of football.

Wagstaff was probably our best player.

They are decent out wide.

Piss poor game from two teams with not much out and out quality.
  • Options
    With many tiring players around the 70min mark, Dervite for Pritchard and Fuller for a midfielder would have been interesting.
  • Options
    Jesus that was frustrating. We desperately, desperately needed a change. Dragging themselves around that shit, heavy pitch mustve killed the players even more than usual. Poor old Kermogant was so isolated up there as the game went on and Wilson in particular looked knackered, just didnt have the energy to get up and down the wing. We just needed some pace as an outlet to make them sit deeper and give us a threat on the break. Bring Harriott on, BWP, Fuller, whatever. I genuinely think that would've swung it in our favour. We should've already made it 2-0 but surely when that Wagstaff shot hit the post CP must've started getting deja vu from the Pritchard / crossbar / Derby game.

Hate criticising Powell but we really did throw it away today. Argggghhhhh!
  • Options
    Everyone's an expert with subs in hindsight, aren't they.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Welcome to Charlton Life!
  • Options
    Redskin said:

mrbligh said:

Never have I seen a player hide like lawrie Wilson hid today. Find a Sheffield Wednesday player and get as close as possible seemed to be his mantra wen we ha the ball. On the odd occasion he did get the ball, he passed it as soon as he could, scared to take any sort of risk. Her final words "enough charity, lets get him off"

You blithering idiot,he was instrumental in our one goal and the little we offered in going forward.

Blithering idiot?! Did you actually watch him?
    Offered more than waggy? No chance.

I know there's this whole culture of not being too harsh on our players on here and getting on the back of people that do. I don't agree with making one player a whipping boy but when someone has a shocker, I'm not gonna be afraid to say so. Others have commented on his hiding today, maybe it was due to unfitness, maybe tiredness, maybe he lost his bottle.

Wilson has been better of late but he hid today. That's not acceptable. Bottom line
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited January 2013
    Three points thrown away. The first half both teams cancelled eachother out. We scored just after half time. Withstood a mini onslaught from Wednesday then had a few chances to put in a second. Sheff Weds put fresh subs on a heavy pitch. At 70 mins, we just hoofed aimless balls up to a knackered midfield to chase. Sheff Weds central defenders were slow and pushing up. Why oh why oh why oh why did Chris Powell not bring on any substitutions ?

I support Chris Powell 100% but he has got to learn to use substitutions and get to grips tactically when the game is changing. The loss of those three points to a physical but limited Sheff Weds side was directly attributable to the lack of substitutions at 70 to 75 minutes. Harriots or Fullers pace against those lumbering and slow sheffield weds central defenders would have made Sheff Weds think again and may have drawn a foul. Dervite on in front of the centre backs for Stephens may have helped as well. Green on for Wilson, who had something to prove and given some attacking impeteus may have helped, even BWP.

No bleedin' movement again and we sat back and allowed sheff weds, who looked a bit all in and clueless at this point back into the game. A post new year christmas present of 3 points that they scarcely deserved.

Inconsistent refereering as well. After the Charlton goal, he gave basically nothing to Charlton. Morrison was penalised for leaning over but he ignored similar from sheff weds. He books KMG at the end but not Llera for time wasting. It also looked like a penalty.

When the substitutions came, it was far too late and even managed to disrupt our own momentum so ill timed they were.

Lets not kid ourselves though that the fate of the game was anything but in our own hands. Against the poorer teams of the division we need to get the points on the board. I won't be happy until we have 54 points, as given Charlton's ability to drag defeat from the jaws of victory, such as today, we are not safe.

Not feeling happy, more so as the points were there for the taking.
  • Options
    CP: People are saying I could have made changes at 1-0, but the players were doing the job right. (IL) #cafc
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sometimes you go to a game and get outplayed and lose and you accept it but today that was obviously not the case.somehow we contrived to lose to patently the most limited and the very poorest team that we have played at home this season after hitting the woodwork twice and after that awful Stephens shot over the bar.I cannot recall a chance that they had before half time except perhaps a scrambled semi effort that Hamer easily parried in the first 5 minutes.they were gifted two goals due to inept defending that no team can afford if it throws away at least 5 gilt edged chances to put the score out of sight.just to get in perspective how poor Sheffield were they played nothing on the floor except for a short spell after half time for ten minutes ,created nothing for Hamer to deal with except the goals that we gifted them and as an example of their uselessness they had had three foul throw offences by the same bloke .why play 1 up front at home with a total incompetent like Llera defending even if we had got results in recent matcheswith that line up .surely we have to be a bit more flexible in our shape according to each match and who we are up against. substitution and tactics were a bit lacking today especially with Stehens having such a frustrating match . 3 subs in the last minutes of injury time shows that Powell fell asleep for the last 15 minutes of the game .Stephens off and support for Kerms should have been sorted out much earlier.does any one know how many championship teams last season had the ignominy of a relegated club doing the double over them ,which will surely be Sheffield Wednesday's fate when the luck runs out ?not too happy about having to admit to that statistic at the end of this season .
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Everyone's an expert with subs in hindsight, aren't they.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Welcome to Charlton Life!

Oh come on. Everyone around me was urging Powell to make a change.

You could see players were out of juice and we were getting deeper.

This isn't a case of hindsight, it's positive criticism,

If we are in the same situation again I hope CP can see what many of us could. You don't need UEFA badges to see players are knackered.

I love Powell but in my eyes he got the last 20 mins today wrong and it cost us.
  • Options
    Got to admit, I didnt think wilson had the best of games today but I have became a massive fan of him.

3 subs in the 90th minute isnt acceptable. We could/should have made a change when we was 1 up. No sub. 1-1. No sub. Then as soon as we go 2-1 down with 5 mins left we make 3 subs.

Majority of the game was played in the air. Pass the ball to llera/gardner. Hoof.

Didnt think they troubled us at all and at worst was expecting them to equalise. Did not expect to lose that. Gutted
  • Options
    Very frustrating and very disappointed now.

It was a horrible, even game of little quality which a draw would have been a fair result. But looking like we would nick it, and then coming away with nothing was predictably depressing.

I'm sure the pitch had a big impact on the style of the game, but i really don't think it was the sole reason. Wednesday looked huge and physical all over the pitch, and seemed to thrive on set plays and long throws. I would have guessed Megson was still in charge. Surprising really, because they do look like they have players with pace and technical ability. We seemed to go into it with the approach to 'fight fire with fire', and it resulted in a hard to watch at times, all out physical battle.

Lots of calls to 'change it' and 'bring on a sub' for last ten. I tried thinking at the time how we could change it and what impact it would have. Wednesday were getting more pressure and Wagstaff was effectively playing left wing. Taking him off to put Fuller or BWP on would have left us potentially more exposed, bringing on Cort would have seen us sitting deeper and inviting it more, Green for Wilson would have been a like for like and I never feel you could trust Green when the defensive requirements are the priority. So would be interested to know what others would have done to 'change it'.

Ten mins to go we were 9th and five points off the play offs. Not going to go overboard with criticisms, just very frustrated.
  • Options
    Ah, the old "everyone could see it so why couldn't Powell" line again. Everyone's a expert on their play stations . The manager must be a fool, clown, naive' out of his depth .... (Enter your own critical term here)

Think I'll give this site a miss until knees have stopped jerking all over the place and people have counted to 10.
  • Options
    As I said...positive criticism
  • Options
    Off It, i'm in your camp, but that's what this is all about.

Chat about the game, opposing views etc. Debating whether the manager should have changed things is perfectly valid. No different to what anyone standing in the pub are doing now.
  • Options
    Two steps forward and one back today. Why cant we play out our own level, and not lower ourselves to the opposition level? Its just so bloody frustrating. Oh well, roll on next week.
  • Options
    Fine margins and all that - we didn't create much after the goal, but had the Wagstaff(?) shot got in rather than hitting the post then that would probably have been that.

The warning signs were there though, and when Jackson was the most forward player 'bursting' through from the half way line on 75 mins, that was probably a sign that we could have done with a change.
  • Options
    Gutless inept performance against a side who wanted it more. CP's substitutions a joke!
    We backed off for the last 20 minutes and just bottled it. Couldn't retain possession and were outmuscled by a physically stronger side. Only Waggy made a fight of it.
    Thought this team had character but it wasn't there today. Hate Wednesday with a passion and to lose to them twice has p***ed me off big time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As stated earlier, I didn't necessarily think changes were needed. Certainly not going to claim I know better than our manager. We didn't lose because of not making subs.
  • Options
    Make a fair comment on the match = bad fan. Off it logic everybody.
  • Options
    It's easy to say CP should have made a sub - I for one was thinking it, but can understand why he didn't, what really annoyed me was between 80 and 89 minutes not a single sub was warming up...!
  • Options
    Great quote from a text from Carter

'My old man just asked who had most of the ball. The ozone layer was all I could say.'
  • Options
    Listen to it whilst at work, the first half was flat by both teams, Gardner was unmarked and should of scored, Reda also should of scored in an open net but thought the lino had his flag up for something, thought this was going to cost us in the end, youalso had a Morrison header that hit the bar, but apart from that it was a flat half from both sides.

Second half we set off and attacked you from the off but it was from this you broke and scored, slightly against the run of play if I'm honest.

You hit the post and that was that and the goal that was it, from then onwards it was all Wednesday after wave after wave of attacks, the goal was coming that's for sure, when it did I'd of took the draw, Dave Jones then made them attacking subs and it told as Lita scored on his debut against his old club in the 89Th minute.

Great Saturday for us, cheers lads and good luck v Palace.

Happy as larry.
  • Options
    edited January 2013

Very frustrating and very disappointed now.

It was a horrible, even game of little quality which a draw would have been a fair result. But looking like we would nick it, and then coming away with nothing was predictably depressing.

I'm sure the pitch had a big impact on the style of the game, but i really don't think it was the sole reason. Wednesday looked huge and physical all over the pitch, and seemed to thrive on set plays and long throws. I would have guessed Megson was still in charge. Surprising really, because they do look like they have players with pace and technical ability. We seemed to go into it with the approach to 'fight fire with fire', and it resulted in a hard to watch at times, all out physical battle.

Lots of calls to 'change it' and 'bring on a sub' for last ten. I tried thinking at the time how we could change it and what impact it would have. Wednesday were getting more pressure and Wagstaff was effectively playing left wing. Taking him off to put Fuller or BWP on would have left us potentially more exposed, bringing on Cort would have seen us sitting deeper and inviting it more, Green for Wilson would have been a like for like and I never feel you could trust Green when the defensive requirements are the priority. So would be interested to know what others would have done to 'change it'.

Ten mins to go we were 9th and five points off the play offs. Not going to go overboard with criticisms, just very frustrated.

I would have put fuller up top for kerm, and put Harriot on for Wilson, swapping sides with wagstaff.
    I sat directly in line with our back 4 second half and it appeared solly was aiming balls forward without care but he had nothing in terms of a front man. Yann was knackered. When you are trying to close games out you need to relieve pressure from ur back four and centre midfielders.
    I don't claim to know more than CP before people jump down my throat. This is just the way I see it.
  • Options
    Got to admit, I didnt think wilson had the best of games today but I have became a massive fan of him.

3 subs in the 90th minute isnt acceptable. We could/should have made a change when we was 1 up. No sub. 1-1. No sub. Then as soon as we go 2-1 down with 5 mins left we make 3 subs.

Majority of the game was played in the air. Pass the ball to llera/gardner. Hoof.

Didnt think they troubled us at all and at worst was expecting them to equalise. Did not expect to lose that. Gutted

• Options
    That was a text book smash and grab by Wednesday. We deserved all 3 points up until about 75 mins until we did the typical Charlton trait of gradually dropping deeper and deeper until we were punished.

Still losing 2-1 was very harsh on us.
  • Options
    Called the 2-1 defeat 10 mins before they scored. We were dropping deeper and deeper and the ball simply kept coming straight back at us. Couldn't give a shit if people don't like the comment but Powell has imo cost us at least a point today. There were 4-5 players who were out on their feet. We had an extra man in midfield when Weds went 4-4-2 and we still couldn't get any grip on the game in the latter stages. The subs don't have to be formation changes, we needed fresh legs and fresh impetus. Fuller or BWP for Yann, Harriot or Green (Wagstaff switches if its Harriot) for Wilson and if we are hell bent on defending what we had Dervitte for Jackson would have been another sub.

• Options

Listen to it whilst at work, the first half was flat by both teams, Gardner was unmarked and should of scored, Reda also should of scored in an open net but thought the lino had his flag up for something, thought this was going to cost us in the end, youalso had a Morrison header that hit the bar, but apart from that it was a flat half from both sides.

Second half we set off and attacked you from the off but it was from this you broke and scored, slightly against the run of play if I'm honest.

You hit the post and that was that and the goal that was it, from then onwards it was all Wednesday after wave after wave of attacks, the goal was coming that's for sure, when it did I'd of took the draw, Dave Jones then made them attacking subs and it told as Lita scored on his debut against his old club in the 89Th minute.

Great Saturday for us, cheers lads and good luck v Palace.

Happy as larry.

LOL

You sure that commentary was at the valley??

Honesty there was absolutely no waves of attacks from either side. The fact the game had 3 goals amazes me.