Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v. Sheffield Wednesday Post-match Views 2013

Comments

• Options
    ashley said:

Got to admit, I didnt think wilson had the best of games today but I have became a massive fan of him.

3 subs in the 90th minute isnt acceptable. We could/should have made a change when we was 1 up. No sub. 1-1. No sub. Then as soon as we go 2-1 down with 5 mins left we make 3 subs.

Majority of the game was played in the air. Pass the ball to llera/gardner. Hoof.

Didnt think they troubled us at all and at worst was expecting them to equalise. Did not expect to lose that. Gutted

You've just copied and pasted my quote there :s
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited January 2013

Very frustrating and very disappointed now.

It was a horrible, even game of little quality which a draw would have been a fair result. But looking like we would nick it, and then coming away with nothing was predictably depressing.

I'm sure the pitch had a big impact on the style of the game, but i really don't think it was the sole reason. Wednesday looked huge and physical all over the pitch, and seemed to thrive on set plays and long throws. I would have guessed Megson was still in charge. Surprising really, because they do look like they have players with pace and technical ability. We seemed to go into it with the approach to 'fight fire with fire', and it resulted in a hard to watch at times, all out physical battle.

Lots of calls to 'change it' and 'bring on a sub' for last ten. I tried thinking at the time how we could change it and what impact it would have. Wednesday were getting more pressure and Wagstaff was effectively playing left wing. Taking him off to put Fuller or BWP on would have left us potentially more exposed, bringing on Cort would have seen us sitting deeper and inviting it more, Green for Wilson would have been a like for like and I never feel you could trust Green when the defensive requirements are the priority. So would be interested to know what others would have done to 'change it'.

Ten mins to go we were 9th and five points off the play offs. Not going to go overboard with criticisms, just very frustrated.

I would have put fuller up top for kerm, and put Harriot on for Wilson, swapping sides with wagstaff.
    I sat directly in line with our back 4 second half and it appeared solly was aiming balls forward without care but he had nothing in terms of a front man. Yann was knackered. When you are trying to close games out you need to relieve pressure from ur back four and centre midfielders.
    I don't claim to know more than CP before people jump down my throat. This is just the way I see it.
    This. If there is a weakness with something, it does not good to ignore it and brush over it. There was lots of options on the bench to help close the game out. I support Chris Powell 100% but making substitutions is something that he does not always get right. It is a weakness that he needs to consider and improve upon. Today it cost us the points. 3 points lost and gift wrapped to the opposition.

I will try to forget about football now, have a beer and think about something different. No lift of three points to help get me through a tough working week.
  • Options
    First half- Just a terrible game of football,lack of atmosphere showed that

Second half-Wilson looked useful but always seem to fail in the final ball in,almost looked nervous. Wagstaff is a bloody hero,never stopped running. He cares and you can see that in his workrate. Morrison again putting us under needless pressure with the odd dodgy pass but solid otherwise.

Anyone could see the lads were dead on their feet at 80 minutes,to make no changes at 1-0 is a mistake,to make no changes after they equalised is ludicrous.
  • Options
    I don't understand how so many comments allude to players being tired out. Surely one game a week is not too much to ask
  • Options
    Thought that was a game between two teams as close in ability as they were last season. Both lack the quality needed to really have a go at the top end, both aren't going down. Two mid table teams. Could have gone either way but was frustrating to lose it so late being 1-0 up.
  • Options

I don't understand how so many comments allude to players being tired out. Surely one game a week is not too much to ask

Weds are a tough physical side and it is going to take a lot out of players trying to match them. The fact that the pitch was so poor was the main reason imo.

• Options
    edited January 2013

Listen to it whilst at work, the first half was flat by both teams, Gardner was unmarked and should of scored, Reda also should of scored in an open net but thought the lino had his flag up for something, thought this was going to cost us in the end, youalso had a Morrison header that hit the bar, but apart from that it was a flat half from both sides.

Second half we set off and attacked you from the off but it was from this you broke and scored, slightly against the run of play if I'm honest.

You hit the post and that was that and the goal that was it, from then onwards it was all Wednesday after wave after wave of attacks, the goal was coming that's for sure, when it did I'd of took the draw, Dave Jones then made them attacking subs and it told as Lita scored on his debut against his old club in the 89Th minute.

Great Saturday for us, cheers lads and good luck v Palace.

Happy as larry.

LOL

You sure that commentary was at the valley??

Honesty there was absolutely no waves of attacks from either side. The fact the game had 3 goals amazes me.
    Second half we were the ones asking the questions, okay it wasn't a case of clear cut chances but after we went 1-0 down we upped the tempo.

Shots on 3-9
    Shots off 6-6
    Corners 3-6

Possession 48% - 52%

• Options
    WSS said:

Nicholas said:

Same old shit no subs no points

Not the same as the past three games...
    Except for the fact he made changes in them games.
  • Options
    Both sides played below their capabilities which left for a pretty dour encounter. Their shocking position meant they wanted it more and got it when they pushed harder. Would rather they played like that this week rather than next and Palace will be much tougher. A reminder and we need to heed it, then go on a small run again.
  • Options

Weds are a tough physical side and it is going to take a lot out of players trying to match them. The fact that the pitch was so poor was the main reason imo.

Fair enough, I agree, Wednesday must be the biggest side physically in the division. Rubbish long ball games suit their style.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Need to get to 50 points as soon as possible confirm championship status next season and then experiment with the team and formation at home.

I think both our home form and away form is epitomised by our midfield - industrious, well organised and committed - which is great away from home and at home against teams who you expect to dominate possession, but when a team comes, matches up and is as organised we seem to lack craft and creatively to really dominate teams

I don't know the answer, we seem to struggle at home with a 4 man midfield to retain enough possession yet playing with a 5 man midfield i think we lack support to the lone front man.

Powell is a conservative manager and that approach we keep us in this division in a respectable position which considering the budget he would have done a sterling job

Lets get to 50 points and take the shackles off a bit
  • Options

Listen to it whilst at work, the first half was flat by both teams, Gardner was unmarked and should of scored, Reda also should of scored in an open net but thought the lino had his flag up for something, thought this was going to cost us in the end, youalso had a Morrison header that hit the bar, but apart from that it was a flat half from both sides.

Second half we set off and attacked you from the off but it was from this you broke and scored, slightly against the run of play if I'm honest.

You hit the post and that was that and the goal that was it, from then onwards it was all Wednesday after wave after wave of attacks, the goal was coming that's for sure, when it did I'd of took the draw, Dave Jones then made them attacking subs and it told as Lita scored on his debut against his old club in the 89Th minute.

Great Saturday for us, cheers lads and good luck v Palace.

Happy as larry.

LOL

You sure that commentary was at the valley??

Honesty there was absolutely no waves of attacks from either side. The fact the game had 3 goals amazes me.
    Second half we were the ones asking the questions, okay it wasn't a case of clear cut chances but after we went 1-0 down we upped the tempo.

Shots on 3-9
    Shots off 6-6
    Corners 3-6

Possession 48% - 52%

Surely not more BBC stats???

Seriously it was a dire game. A draw was probably a fair result.
  • Options
    What frustrated me the most was that in the last 20 minutes their two lumbering centre backs had the time and composure to start stroking the ball about and getting involved in the attacks. THAT'S when you make a change Chris. Instead we invited them forward with predictable result. The manager got it badly wrong today. Wednesday are poor and we allowed them to ultimately dominate us. Gutted I am. Gutted.
  • Options
    Powell let his players down big time today although Stephens and Wilson were shite.
  • Options
    Mugged by a poor Wednesday side. Simple as that. Waggy was superb, WIlson was ok but strangely tentative. We didn't kill them off and seemed too happy to muck about when we should have killed them off and they got a weird header (how did that go in??) and a lucky deflection. It happens, that's football. We played some decent stuff and moved the ball around well. Shame but we move on.

Powell will no doubt get pelters for the lack of changes but we had no central midfield to bring on and the shape of the team was good. The Wendies had the luck to win what should have been a comfortable win based on the merits of our performance. Oh well.
  • Options
    rananegra Member
    6:06PM Said
    <Wednesday are a very physical team to say the least. After we'd got the goal I think CP should've brought on someone with that side to their game. I like Pritch but he was pushed off the ball loads today.'

Agree 100% with the above comment. Pritch was far too lightweight against a very physical and tall Wednesday team. Think he's a great player but in a game like this could have taken him off well before the end. Subs sadly far too late!
  • Options
    Attack is often the best form of defence would have been happy to see fresh legs up top Fuller and Harriott with dervitte on in a diamond midfield Gardner and Llera were there for the taking late
  • Options

Fair enough, I agree, Wednesday must be the biggest side physically in the division. Rubbish long ball games suit their style.
    We only play to the way we feel is affective, we played Hull away and won 1-3 without much long balls but relied on pace.

• Options
    I didn't think that today's game was anywhere near as bad as some other home performances. At least we looked like scoring. Second half performance was OK until the first Wednesday goal. If we had scored rather than hitting the post in the second half I would have fancied us to win comfortably and got another 1 or 2. Wednesday look a very poor team to me.
  • Options
    Inevitable result for lots of reasons - above all think we got confused and thought it was an FA Cup match!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Surprised no one has mentioned Morrison hitting the bar. Looked to be a sitter - how far out was he?
  • Options
    Not happy with the result but there won't be any charlton fans happy tonight , just worried with the performance considering we play crystal palace next week and Birmingham the week after
  • Options
    edited January 2013

We only play to the way we feel is affective, we played Hull away and won 1-3 without much long balls but relied on pace.

I saw the Hull game on the box. Hull were intimidated and didn't 'turn up'. They (Hull) can be got at .. Also, the game reinforced the 'any given day' principle .. other than a very few sides, the cham'ship is stuffed with inconsistent teams .... see my comment on the 'Hull Away' post
  • Options
    I'm very angry with Chris Powell tonight. My last game for a year and I badly wanted a win. It was so obvious to virtually everyone that we were running out of legs from about the 70th minute. They used their subs efficiently and it made a huge difference. The warning signs were there long before they finally equalised. Wilson's legs had gone, the ball wasn't sticking up front and we were coming under almost constant pressure. The pitch was heavy and obviously took a lot out of the players, hence the need for subs. I can accept that managers do make mistakes, but Powell did the same at Bolton when Ngog came on and finished us off. Stop being pig headed Chris and learn from your mistakes!
  • Options
    I like all the Wednesday look a poor team comments yet we still did the job that needed doing winning ugly on an ugly pitch.

Our last 8 league games we've won 5 drawn 2 and lost 1 - not the stats of a poor side.
  • Options

I like all the Wednesday look a poor team comments yet we still did the job that needed doing winning ugly on an ugly pitch.

Our last 8 league games we've won 5 drawn 2 and lost 1 - not the stats of a poor side.

Go away your boring now seriously I wouldn't mind if Other teams fans posted on here regularly but you lot just seem to post when something Llera does is good or when you win....
  • Options

The only Wednesday player who looked genuinely decent was Antonio. Lee might be decent, but he never got a sniff. Aerially you were superior, but overall you were dull to watch due to poor quality players. Like us, you need a tough tackling ball winning central midfielder who can also pass the ball well.
  • Options

The league table would suggest otherwise. Don't get me wrong you done a job on us today at the end of a shocking match and you played to your strengths but a bigger, more physical side than us would not have got bullied like we did. Tired legs and tired minds cost us big time today.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Everyone's an expert with subs in hindsight, aren't they.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Welcome to Charlton Life!

Do you think CP got it right today then ?
  • Options
    Thank god I don't have to watch Wednesday every week long ball or what.

Lost it cause Powell did not make subs earlier in 2nd half.

Onwards & upwards Palace next week lets make amends please.