Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jonathan Obika?

Comments

• Options

Spurs called him back three weeks ago.

Was the public statement.

The real one was Norwich sent him back, unimpressed.

Really? Thats interesting. Adebayor was away in the ANC, Defoe was rumoured to be not fully fit and we wasnt anywhere close to signing a forward in the transfer window, so we all presumed he was recalled for cover...but it didnt really add up that he hasnt been on the bench since where as Obika has been.

• Options
    Didn't Kane pick up an injury in the first few weeks at Norwich?
  • Options
    Rothko said:

Didn't Kane pick up an injury in the first few weeks at Norwich?

He did. He had a good pre-season with us then went to Norwich on deadline day. Looked sharp when he came on as sub a few times, only started in the Carling Cup but then picked up the ankle injury and he didnt really get a look in after that.

• Options
    If he can tuck away some of the chances that we create and it means we don't have to defend a 1-0 lead, then stick him in the team. In CP I trust...
  • Options
    What is the point if he is not going to start games? Surely you keep BWP if you are worried about cover?
  • Options

What is the point if he is not going to start games? Surely you keep BWP if you are worried about cover?

Because we might be looking for a view to a permanent move? Gives CP a chance to look at him in training, he gets to take in SE7 and the players?
  • Options

I have a theory that BWP wasn't trying too hard and that's why he was loaned out. His contract is up in the summer so I reckon he's off in any case...

• Options
    edited February 2013
    And what we might pay Obika could be less than what we've got off the bill with BWP, saving us some money.
  • Options
    Richard J said:

Unless it is with a view to a permanent, there isn't much point

This. We're likely to end up with a mid-table run-in that is perfect for blooding youngsters and seeing if they can make the step up. I'd rather this was our youngsters (Smith, Azeez, Harriott)
    but if we were to lose our next two and haynes picks up another injury we will be wishing we got a loan in and back in a relegations scrap.

I think we need to strengthen before we are mathmatically safe.

He has played over 100 league matches for his various loan league clubs and I liked the look of him when we played Yeovil.He also appeared in the Cup as a sub for Spurs ,I suspect Obika will also be playing for a contract as I can't see him making a break through at Tottenham.Downside he has played for both the Stripey Nigels and the Spanners.

So in some ways what is the difference between him and Azeez or Smith?

We seem to like ex Spurs Academy products. David Button ,Dorian Dervite and going back some years Johnnie Jackson.

Chris Powell supports Spurs !
  • Options

I have a theory that BWP wasn't trying too hard and that's why he was loaned out. His contract is up in the summer so I reckon he's off in any case...

I think the reason we have let BWP on loan is two fold. One, we need to free up some money to bring in a loan player with potential to be a long term replacement. Two, we are being fair to BWP by giving him the chance to go out and score a few goals as he is out of contract at the end of the season and needs to attract a club to come in for him and pay the wages he wants.

I therefore conclude that anyone coming in is a potential signing unless we have a genuine injury crisis or drop like a stone and need experience.

If I am wrong I would prefer one of our own to be given the chance.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

We also had Dean Parrett on loan from them.
    What happened to him ?
  • Options

What happened to him ?

Still in the development squad at Spurs.

• Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

What happened to him ?

@JohnBoy What is going to happen to the likes of Bostock,Carroll,Obika and Parrett?

They must all now be looking at being moved on because I assume there is a generation of youngsters coming through behind them.Spurs seem to be excellent at developing youngsters loaning them out,but possibly keeping them too long.

Our own Johnnie Jackson was at WHL until he was 24 when he never really had a realistic chance of breaking through as a regular.
    Did this stop him being able to develop his career at a lower level and maybe returning to the Premiership?

• Options
    Harry Kane signs for Leicester on loan
  • Options
    Harry Kane has gone to Leicester on loan til the end of the season. Thats one ruled out.

• Options
    Does this mean we may get Jeff Schlupp then ??
  • Options

He's at Man U
  • Options
    Really like him, good player, decent replacement for BWP and someone I've wanted us to sign fo years now. He's always caused us problems. Remember Yeovil? With a view to a permanent move maybe?
  • Options
    Richard J said:

JohnBoyUK said:

What happened to him ?

@JohnBoy What is going to happen to the likes of Bostock,Carroll,Obika and Parrett?

They must all now be looking at being moved on because I assume there is a generation of youngsters coming through behind them.Spurs seem to be excellent at developing youngsters loaning them out,but possibly keeping them too long.

Our own Johnnie Jackson was at WHL until he was 24 when he never really had a realistic chance of breaking through as a regular.
    Did this stop him being able to develop his career at a lower level and maybe returning to the Premiership?

But do we really have a great record of developing youngsters? Other than Campbell and King, who else springs to mind that have played in the PL? O'Hara, Stephen Kelly, Steve Carr and Luke Young. Thats probably it for the most part. Most of the others end up in the lower divisions.

First team opportunities will be limited. Thats why Levy and Harry/Tim Sherwood decided to pull us out of the reserve league when they did and send the hopefuls out on loan so they got league experience. Has it worked so far? Debatable.

To be fair to Levy, he has always had this vision of the big academy/training ground and bringing through the next generation. This current batch of youngsters is top notch and is noted to be the best bunch we've brought through in years...but they need to be given a chance. If we can get CL qualification, then maybe we can use the League Cup in the same way that Ars*nal did for years.

Souleymane Coulibaly (went on loan to a Serie B side, supposed to be the next Drogba - was top scorer with 9 goals in 4 games in the U17 world cup), Alex Pritchard (went on loan to Peterborough until he picked up an injury) and Tom Carroll are supposed to be the pick of the bunch.

At the end of the day, if the academy can produce one homegrown star and make the club money, Levy has done his job.

• Options
    Schlupp was only on a 2 week trial at Man Utd to train with them - he has been back at Leicester a couple of weeks now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Schlupp was only on a 2 week trial at Man Utd to train with them - he has been back at Leicester a couple of weeks now.

Do we need another left back ?

• Options
    I reckon Leicester will keep schlupp. Use him at left back as konchesky is getting some severe abuse from the leicester fans.
  • Options

Do we need another left back ?

Schlupp is a striker.....
  • Options
    been playing left back
  • Options
    I've said it before and I'll say it again - I want Schlupp on a permanent deal. He is a very good player indeed
  • Options

To add to Wood, Nugent, Vardy, Waghorn, Schlupp...not jealous at all. Reminds me of our 2000-1 'embarrassment of free-scoring strikers' days of Johannson, Lisbie, Svensson, Pringle, MacDonald and Bartlett.
  • Options

To add to Wood, Nugent, Vardy, Waghorn, Schlupp...not jealous at all. Reminds me of our 2000-1 'embarrassment of free-scoring strikers' days of Johannson, Lisbie, Svensson, Pringle, MacDonald and Bartlett.
    Wow, thats some riches. Why would they need so many strikers.?
  • Options
    Waited for his opportunity and grabbed it with both hands. Has pace strength and good first touch. Looks like he's popular with the other players too. Sign him on season loan or perm if at ll possible.
  • Options
    Think he will start next week looks good knows where the goal is
  • Options
    Would not be surprised in the slightest if he's a full time Addick next season. Strong and quick and has scored twice in very limited time (albeit against flagging teams.) Not exactly a super signing to excite the fans, but definitely seems the kind of player CP prefers.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!