Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jonathan Obika?

Comments

• Options
    thenewbie said:

Would not be surprised in the slightest if he's a full time Addick next season. Strong and quick and has scored twice in very limited time (albeit against flagging teams.) Not exactly a super signing to excite the fans, but definitely seems the kind of player CP prefers.

Didn't he say in a recent interview he was here to get fit and win a place back in the Spurs first team?
  • Options
    He can say what he likes but he won't get near Spurs first eleven.
  • Options

He can say what he likes but he won't get near Spurs first eleven.

This
  • Options
    Sign him up Charlton board.
  • Options
    In retrospect, him signing an extended contract with Spurs doesn't matter as U23 means a fee. Could be a useful summer capture.
  • Options
    Think it only means a fee the club you are at offer you a contract with at least your current wages. If Spurs don't offer him a contract then no fee will be paid. I lead to believe anyway but I thought Kidderminster still had a chance of the title after today so I'm probably wrong.
  • Options
    Beginning to change my mind about this lad (I am allowed to, right?)...................
  • Options
    Looks a bit Leaburnesque for me despite his two goals. I hope I'm wrong if we sign him.
  • Options
    Leaburnesque would do for me.
  • Options
    I'm certainly not expecting him to that legendary creature, the mythical '20 goals a season striker'- but he's got speed and strength and enthusiasm, he could easily play a part in a team, as befits CP's tactics. Next season, Fuller will be peripheral if he's even around at all, BWP I expect will have gone, Haynes will still not be fit for any length of time. Obika is clearly decent enough, has the right ethic and seems to fit with the character of the squad. You wouldn't get many players much better for the small fee I'd expect him to cost.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stone said:

Looks a bit Leaburnesque for me despite his two goals. I hope I'm wrong if we sign him.

Really? How many games did it take Leaburn to score two goals?
  • Options
    Looks a different player to the one that started out the first few games. Maybe benefiting from coming on against tired defenders but still an asset. Seems to fit in well with the squad. Nice to see him applaud the crowd at the end, and get a good response back.

Would be happy to see him at the club next year, I am sure I read somewhere that he signed a 4 year contract with Spurs before coming out on loan, but that may be wrong or Spurs trying to get a decent fee. Can't see him in the Spurs first team, it would be better for him to get regular game time. I would be happy to see that with Charlton.
  • Options
    vff said:

Looks a different player to the one that started out the first few games. Maybe benefiting from coming on against tired defenders but still an asset. Seems to fit in well with the squad. Nice to see him applaud the crowd at the end, and get a good response back.

Would be happy to see him at the club next year, I am sure I read somewhere that he signed a 4 year contract with Spurs before coming out on loan, but that may be wrong or Spurs trying to get a decent fee. Can't see him in the Spurs first team, it would be better for him to get regular game time. I would be happy to see that with Charlton.

He signed an extension til June 2014 for the record :)

• Options
    The Obika song got a good airing today , saw some crazy guy swinging a pair of Ugg boots round his neck when that last minute winner went in.
  • Options
    Obi Obi Obika
  • Options
    There must be a chance that he's a total donkey who has just happened to be in the right place at the right time twice. Not a bad habit to have for a striker I'll grant you. The first game I saw him I thought he was laughably bad but there was the odd sign today that he might have something. Reminds me a bit of Nguessan. Not convinced he's the answer as a permanent signing but I guess we are of limited means and BWP, Fuller and Haynes are either not going to be about or will spend a lot of time crocked. Hmmm. Not sure.
  • Options

There must be a chance that he's a total donkey who has just happened to be in the right place at the right time twice. Not a bad habit to have for a striker I'll grant you. The first game I saw him I thought he was laughably bad but there was the odd sign today that he might have something. Reminds me a bit of Nguessan. Not convinced he's the answer as a permanent signing but I guess we are of limited means and BWP, Fuller and Haynes are either not going to be about or will spend a lot of time crocked. Hmmm. Not sure.

Agree with this
  • Options
    I did not like him at first but he has been impressive the last 3 games. I think he may be one of those super subs that we need last 10 mins but he certainly did more than what Fuller did for 80 mins.

I hope we sign him in the summer, even if its just a full season loan.
  • Options
    Obika has pace and a ruthless finish when given a chance. Well worth a start next week at Boro. Ric Fuller is looking well knackered.
  • Options
    He's a Spurs player that they offered a new one year deal to not five or six weeks ago. They could have released him but didn't. I'm not saying he's the next Darren Bent but I think his pedigree is just a little better than some of you are giving him credit for.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He won't start for us, let alone Spurs. Might as well play a bit of football here.
  • Options

He's a Spurs player that they offered a new one year deal to not five or six weeks ago. They could have released him but didn't. I'm not saying he's the next Darren Bent but I think his pedigree is just a little better than some of you are giving him credit for.

Offering him a deal and wanting him at the club are not necessarily the same thing, he's spent most of the last couple of seasons on loan at Yeovil, Orient, Peterborough, Swindon, Millwall and now Charlton. According to Wikipedia he hasn't played a single game for Spurs.

Spurs will sell him in the summer and pick up some money for a player they were going to let go. If they really wanted him they'd offer him a two/three contract.

• Options
    He's worth a punt on a season long loan next year.

Firstly, he has scored important goals at important times. He offers something in terms of pace and nuisance value.

He seems a very popular squad member. Powell clearly likes his attitude and application. He's seems a Powell player in that whatever he lacks in quality he makes up for with effort.

It's very difficult to for us to make a judgement based on a few minutes on the pitch here and there. But surely he's done all we could have asked from him.

Again, if Powell thinks he can do a job for us then that's good enough for me.
  • Options

Offering him a deal and wanting him at the club are not necessarily the same thing, he's spent most of the last couple of seasons on loan at Yeovil, Orient, Peterborough, Swindon, Millwall and now Charlton. According to Wikipedia he hasn't played a single game for Spurs.

Spurs will sell him in the summer and pick up some money for a player they were going to let go. If they really wanted him they'd offer him a two/three contract.

So Spurs are paying him a salary for a year albeit in part picked up by us for a couple of months so they can recoup ? He won't command much of a fee and perhaps no one will be prepared to pay anything ! So they get stuck with him. It's possible but unlikely.

• Options

So Spurs are paying him a salary for a year albeit in part picked up by us for a couple of months so they can recoup ? He won't command much of a fee and perhaps no one will be prepared to pay anything ! So they get stuck with him. It's possible but unlikely.

Just hedging their bets. If someone wants him permanently, brand new contract means he costs more. If not, well he won't be on huge wages and there appears no shortage of teams who will take him on loan. Even if he doesn't, they're minted enough that they can afford to keep him around and just not play him if they really wanted.
  • Options

It's what they did with Button - they offered him a contract then off-loaded him before the ink was dry.

As a contracted player they can negotiate a transfer with maybe a few add-ons, otherwise they simply let him go for nothing. With two/three seasons experience in L1 and the CCC and with youth on his side there'll be a couple of clubs after him and keeping him under contract means they get some money.
  • Options
    I expect us to sign him on a permanent for an "undisclosed fee" in the summer. Would have thought we could get him for 250k plus add-ons.
  • Options
    We should sign him even if its only to keep singing that song.
  • Options
    I think it was unfair the criticism he got on here when he first joined.you have to give people a chance in life and I for one would love to see him back here next season.he's pace is scary and to me he's bulked up a bit and looks very strong and hard to knock of the ball.
  • Options
    Re his contract extension, it's been clear for a while that Levy is one of the shrewdest chairmen in football. Seems to ensure there's no loose ends around that may lessen any benefit to Spurs. That includes having fringe players, who may not make it at Spurs but who certainly are good enough at the next level, to be tied to a contract that gets Spurs a good deal.

From the little we've seen so far, I hope he follows Button across from the Lane permanently.

P.S. Lol, MIA ;-))
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!