Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton sign Jonathan Obika on loan (old thread, signed for Swindon)

Comments

• Options
    Not on the O/S or Twitter yet...
  • Options
    edited February 2013

lets hope this isnt another leon clarke! anyway, in powell we trust.

Maybe he's another Yann Kermorgant? His record wasn't exactly prolific...

• Options

lets hope this isnt another leon clarke! anyway, in powell we trust.

Maybe he's another Yann Kermorgant? His record wasn't exactly prolific...

we can hope...
  • Options
    cafc-west said:

Not on the O/S or Twitter yet...

A real Cawley exclusive.
  • Options
    Don't me wrong i wish him well and hope he turns out to be awesome. Just not excited about the signing thats all. But then again i wasn't about Kermorgant either at the time so hope to be pleasantly surprised. Wish him well.
  • Options
    A few things:

1. We are in a division of financial 'haves' and 'have nots'. The haves this season such as Leicester, Boro and Bolton can go out and get the likes of Kane, McEachran and Spearing. We are in the have nots
    2. Don't be fixated on a poor scoring record of a youngster. Many of those appearances will be sub appearances
    3. Yann had a dire scoring record and unimpressive history. Judge on what you see.
    4. We are in all honesty not really playing for anything compared to others chasing promotion or fighting relegation. This looks a cover loan and a chance to look at someone who is going to be released by his club in the summer.

There won't be a single one of us who would not prefer to have kept BWP as a back up, but there are obviously reasons why he has been shipped out. From what i have seen of Obika, he has the tools to go on and potentially be very good if he can add goals to his game. He reminds me a bit of Lisbie at that age. Lets hope for a better outcome !
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    We got Bradders out because he was surplus and on high wages. We needed a body in who I suspect is costing very little and as already said by others it gives us a chance to see if he's what we want. What's wrong with that. Ricky and Danny are like bone China and all the youngsters have no experience. John offers some league experience and is probably playing for a contract. We have no money for anything better so let's get behind him instead of all the negative comments when I doubt any of us have had more than just a glimpse of him. Trust SCP.
  • Options

He reminds me a bit of Lisbie at that age.

Oh Christ, I was keeping an open mind until I read that...

• Options
    A young striker from Spurs came in on loan around this time of the month 21 years ago, and became a folk hero after scoring the winning goal against that Scummy lot a few weeks later.

Maybe young Jon can repeat what John Hendry achieved
  • Options

A few things:

1. We are in a division of financial 'haves' and 'have nots'. The haves this season such as Leicester, Boro and Bolton can go out and get the likes of Kane, McEachran and Spearing. We are in the have nots
    2. Don't be fixated on a poor scoring record of a youngster. Many of those appearances will be sub appearances
    3. Yann had a dire scoring record and unimpressive history. Judge on what you see.
    4. We are in all honesty not really playing for anything compared to others chasing promotion or fighting relegation. This looks a cover loan and a chance to look at someone who is going to be released by his club in the summer.

There won't be a single one of us who would not prefer to have kept BWP as a back up, but there are obviously reasons why he has been shipped out. From what i have seen of Obika, he has the tools to go on and potentially be very good if he can add goals to his game. He reminds me a bit of Lisbie at that age. Lets hope for a better outcome !

This

We got Bradders out because he was surplus and on high wages. We needed a body in who I suspect is costing very little and as already said by others it gives us a chance to see if he's what we want. What's wrong with that. Ricky and Danny are like bone China and all the youngsters have no experience. John offers some league experience and is probably playing for a contract. We have no money for anything better so let's get behind him instead of all the negative comments when I doubt any of us have had more than just a glimpse of him. Trust SCP.

And this
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    PopIcon said:

Got a Spurs mate who thinks he's pony, was glad to get shot and doesn't think he'll return to Spurs!

Says in those game / goals stats that he has never played for Spurs ?
  • Options
    Bradley Wright Phillips scored about 2 goals in 30+ appearances for Man City and has gone on to calve a decent Football League career for himself.
  • Options

A few things:

Not another "striker" who can't score
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Bradley Wright Phillips scored about 2 goals in 30+ appearances for Man City and has gone on to calve a decent Football League One career for himself.

• Options

How tall??
  • Options
    Think that article on the OS will give you moaners the exact reason that we want to take a look.
  • Options
    I have a Spurs mate who thinks he's pony.

Topical.
  • Options
    Sometimes I despair at some Charlton fans.I have seen Obika a number of times and I have been impressed.He is raw but he is quick and strong,he is not the best but we are potless.He will be dangerous coming off the bench.Why don't we,as Charlton fans,give a player a chance rather than write him off because Palarse fans think he is shite.Why don't we make an informed decision at the end of the season?
  • Options
    "Obika then rejoined Yeovil on loan at the start of the 2011-12 season until January 2012,[14] this deal was later extended until the end of the season. On 26 December 2011, Obika scored the first goal of his new loan deal against Charlton Athletic with an overhead kick" - wikip.

Is it just me or do we seem to make a habit of signing players that have scored against us?

Anyway, welcome Jonathan!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    PL54 said:

PopIcon said:

Got a Spurs mate who thinks he's pony, was glad to get shot and doesn't think he'll return to Spurs!

Says in those game / goals stats that he has never played for Spurs ?
    Wiki is misleading on this,later in the entry it shows he has played twice in Europe 3 years ago and has this season appeared in both the League and FA Cup.

My view is if he is available on a free/small development fee in the summer then this could be a good move.

I was encouraged that @JohnBoyuk who is our resident expert on the Lillywhites seemed to believe he was rated at Spurs Lodge.

I agree with the comments made above that his loan spells with the Spanners and Stripey Nigels were when he was a much younger player so their fans views on him may not be the best indicator.It is also worth noting that he scored against us for Spurs U21 a few weeks ago and has appeared to be in a rich vein of form for them this season.

• Options
    15 goals in that U21 league this season is decent
  • Options
    Fairly uninspiring loan signing on paper, but he did get a hattrick playing for the U21s last week against Man U, which suggests he has something about him
    http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/spurs/News/u21s-united-150213.page
    Disappointing that it pushes Azeez down the order though
  • Options
    He's young, has some raw talent and we get to have a look at him before he's out of contract in the summer.

He could make it, on the other hand he might be another of those transient players who has a number of clubs but never quite makes it.
  • Options
    CP's comments make it look like it is an extended trial
  • Options
    I don't pay any attention to records at previous clubs. Chris Powell knows what he's doing and I'll judge their perfromance in a Charlton shirt. I rate Obika and think he'll do well here.
  • Options
    Good luck at CAFC Jonathan!
    Try and ignore the musings of the negative crowd that hide in CLs shadows!
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

Sometimes I despair at some Charlton fans.I have seen Obika a number of times and I have been impressed.He is raw but he is quick and strong,he is not the best but we are potless.He will be dangerous coming off the bench.Why don't we,as Charlton fans,give a player a chance rather than write him off because Palarse fans think he is shite.Why don't we make an informed decision at the end of the season?

This...Willkommen Jonathon

• Options
    Says on spurs twitter he also signed a new contract till 2014 with them today so must rate him
  • Options
    He's going to be our fourth choice striker between three top players in Haynes, Yann and Fuller. It's not the end of the world!
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!