Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton sign Jonathan Obika on loan (old thread, signed for Swindon)

Comments

• Says on spurs twitter he also signed a new contract till 2014 with them today so must rate him

More likely, it ensures we will have to pay some sort of fee, if we want him in the summer.
    I think Shelvey & Jenkinson did the same.
  • Says on spurs twitter he also signed a new contract till 2014 with them today so must rate him

More likely, it ensures we will have to pay some sort of fee, if we want him in the summer.
    Shelvey did, Jenkinson didn't...

Shelvey did, Jenkinson didn't...

but thought that Jenkinson said he would have done if Arsenal hadn't played ball ie would not have left us relying on going to a tribunal or not getting any compensation. Think I read his Dad said that.
  • Not gonna set the world on fire with x goals in as many games. But he is quick so hopefully can cause defenders a problem. I look forward to seeing what he can do
  • Not gonna set the world on fire with x goals in as many games. But he is quick so hopefully can cause defenders a problem. I look forward to seeing what he can do

Well, having a bit of pace up front when Haynes collapses again would be welcome.

• I reckon he'll be a better signing than Frank Nouble
  • He played 7 games for Palace, a mate of mine said he was decent at Millwall.

Leon Clarke paid 7 games for us, but I'm sure the other clubs he's banged goals in for would have a different opinion on him.
  • Kept a below average Yeovil team up enough times. I quite like him and think he will be a decent Sub.
  • Purely a money saving exercise imo. Cheaper than BWP. Better? Doubt it.
  • I find it unbelievable that people will look at the scoring record of a 22 year old on Wikipedia and make their minds up about him before he has even kicked a ball. Well, I expect it from Golfie, but it's shocking from others. Yann is of course the example we always use but Obika is so young that if he had a brilliant scoring record he'd be playing for Spurs right now. As it is he seems to have hit pretty good form in the Reserves this season and it could be his time to kick on in the Championship. A Spurs mate of mine seems to think he'll do a job for us. No doubt the people bemoaning this signing are the ones who wanted us to spare no expense in signing Reo-Coker up. Leave it to Powell and we'll see how the boy does
  • Sponsored links:

• Let's just wait and see eh! In CP we trust.
  • I would have preferred giving Azeez a chance to prove himself instead , but hey ho , lets hope Obika's wages are paid in club shop vouchers.
  • I have watched this young lad on a few occasions during some of the coaching sessions run up near the spuds new training ground

He is not pony no where near and is a good option to have

BWP deserved games after his achievements for us and its just one of those things that his chances were limited with us this yr

I think that obika will split views with the ignorant on here expecting him to be the next rooney instead of a young man with a hell of a lot of potential who is going to get better

Yannick bolasie had a shit time in his younger career and is having a great time now

Sometimes it takes time to develop

I know a lot of the coaching staff involved with the spurs development squads and all reckon he has a chance to be a very good player but maybe not a top 6 prem player

I wish him well and those who are going to right him off before seeing him play because some bunch of stripey no good no mark pricks say different

The word class is something you will never understand as you hace none
  • I know a spurs fan who has been to alot of their U21 games and thinks he has the potential to be quality. Apparently he has banged goals in for them. I reckon lets give this lad a chance. Hes certainly good at scoring against us, lets hope hes as good at scoring for us.
  • I welcome him with open arms and I think that he'll do well.

But I'd rather of had Azeez or Smith to make the step up instead of a loan signing.
  • Obviously I hope he comes good and am more than willing to give him a chance. However our recent history of bringing in young players with potential on loan hasn't worked out too well more often than not. I just don't want to end up with us just wasting money on his wages to be on the bench or not even picked because things haven't worked out again and he's then sent back to spurs. When one of our own players could maybe fill that role and may get more benefit in their own development because of it.
    Ah well, We'll see. In Chris we trust.
  • Can see him as a decent impact sub for the games that Haynes isn't around for.

Seems he's been scoring goals for fun in the U21s so hopefully won't be short on confidence.
  • i've never seen him play so am not in a position to pass judgement.

but, welcome and hope you tear it up for us.
  • I'm afraid I don't follow why we would effectively replace BWP with him if cover is what we need. We can speculate about his potential but we know BWP's ability. And the idea that it's saving on wages doesn't stack up unless a) brentford are paying most of BWPs wages and b) we aren't paying much of a Spurs player's wages. Odd one. Good luck to our new player anyway.
  • I think it is pretty obvious why we are doing it really.

BWP is out of contract and probably not going to be offered another one.

Obika is also out of contract and we get the chance to trial Spurs' most dominant U21 goalscorer.

No brainer.
  • Sponsored links:

• cafctom said:

I think it is pretty obvious why we are doing it really.

Obika is also out of contract and we get the chance to trial Spurs' most dominant U21 goalscorer.

No brainer.

Apart from the fact that Obika signed a deal to 2014 yesterday.....

• I'm afraid I don't follow why we would effectively replace BWP with him if cover is what we need. We can speculate about his potential but we know BWP's ability. And the idea that it's saving on wages doesn't stack up unless a) brentford are paying most of BWPs wages and b) we aren't paying much of a Spurs player's wages. Odd one. Good luck to our new player anyway.

BWP isn't doing it for us this season. He's not really good enough for the Championship and he seems to be stuck in a rut at Charlton. He needs a fresh start back down in a league he's more suited to. Obika's an unknown quantity but the staff obviously feel he can offer us something. You also have to consider the fact that BWP probably wanted out. No good having an unhappy player around
  • Plus the huge fact that BWP has earned the right to play reg football and out of respect to that SCP has decided that it would be right and honourable to not have BWP as 4th choice striker and get in a lad with league experience

This fits BWP as much as us and to me that is a great sign of respect to BWP

He was 4th choice with us he deserves more than that
  • edited February 2013

cafctom said:

I think it is pretty obvious why we are doing it really.

No brainer.

Apart from the fact that Obika signed a deal to 2014 yesterday.....

Didn't Button sign a contract extension with Tottenham last year when he was their 5th choice Goalie?

I suspect like they did with him Spurs are protecting their investment and would want a fee.

I think he would be available because I cannot see him making the breakthrough at WHL.

• I work with a Spurs supporter who has played the game at a very high level back in the day, he reckons this lad has the makings of a great player and given time will be a top player for them. He reckons he's very quick and talented, I'll take that from someone that knows the game. Welcome Jonathan.
  • Great news! I look forward to seeing him play.
  • I saw Scott Sinclair for us and thought he was awful. A coupe of years later he was the top scorer in the championship and then he moved to the premier league champions. Sometimes loan moves just don't work out, and I certainly value the opinion of Powell and his staff over random Crystal Palace fans.
  • edited February 2013
    CP "when we lost BWP" -------------- careless losing him-----no harm done tho CP he is at Brentford if you need him back !!

"reminds me of a young Lisbie "----------------------FFS AFKB you are a shit salesman !
  • Totally see the logic in this. What's the point bringing in a more established frontman who will push Haynes/Fuller/Kermorgant down the pecking order?
    Far better to have a young striker with league experience on the bench to make an impact.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!