Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton sign Jonathan Obika on loan (old thread, signed for Swindon)

Comments

• Options

Can see this fella having a similar impact as Eggert Jonsson. Would have preferred Powell took a 'look at' azeez.

Exactly my point - Powell's loan signings have been brilliant this season so far havnt they?.........the best amongst them being Egghead,Frimpong,Seaborne(what a cracker of a game he had v Ipswich).
    I've watched big O a couple of times and, as i mentioned before, both times he was total Pony.And then i see the quality of loanees that other clubs bring in.
    Good luck to him, but i aint holding out much hope tbh.
    But we obviously don't have the budget for "quality" loanees, so why no just get behind the guy instead of moaning for moaning's sake.
  • Options

Underwhelmed to say the least.When we could have had Phillips or Hulse or Dobbie, we get....... Obika.
    Great. So pleased.

Idiotic comments like this prove that some fans don't get it! So one more time, we cannot afford their wages we have no money!
    Also well done for caning the bloke before he's kicked a ball for us!
  • Options
    Jesus, just give him a chance, we can't afford Van Persie or Gomez and as said earlier we do get injured forwards. Good luck son and welcome, SCP knows what he is doing
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Underwhelmed to say the least.When we could have had Phillips or Hulse or Dobbie, we get....... Obika.
    Great. So pleased.

Idiotic comments like this prove that some fans don't get it! So one more time, we cannot afford their wages we have no money!
    Purely based on what i've seen.

Ah ok, its finances - i get it now, so we could afford Pingpong,Obika and Hulse(all Prem players) and cant afford Phillips or Dobbie (champs)? - yes, of course - i get it !!
  • Options

I would have expected more from him by now which I think shows an attitude problem.

Clearly not tall/quick/strong/slow enough for this league.
  • Options
    Don't really get all this "would prefer Azeez or Smith to be given a chance" The fact is Obika is ready for The Championship and our two are not. They will get the chance but only when the coaching staff think it will be right for them and not detrimental to their development. Lets see what he can do. In my wildest dream moments I still think the playoffs are not completely impossible. Highly unlikely but not impossible. A sub that can come on and put away some of the chances that we see go begging might just make my wildest dream a possibility.
  • Options

Greenie said:

Great. So pleased.

Purely based on what i've seen.

Ah ok, its finances - i get it now, so we could afford Pingpong,Obika and Hulse(all Prem players) and cant afford Phillips or Dobbie (champs)? - yes, of course - i get it !!
    Prem teams contribute towards wages a lot more than rival Championship teams, I can assure you
  • Options
    It's interesting that some people are moaning about us picking up Obika instead of using Azeez.. I'm aware that Azeez is one of ours, but other than that the whole basis for looking at Azeez is that he's looked good at Reserve level. And yet Obika has 15 goals at reserve level this season for the team top of their league. There's a fundamental logic fail there.

Also, The_President, I'm aware that you just like a moan, but you're knocking the level of loanee brought in by Powell...and then whining that we didn't get the likes of Hulse. Hm. He did sign Hulse on loan earlier in the season, and then didn't renew his loan as there's little point in having Yann, Fuller AND Hulse. We need someone quicker to play alongside the big men, hence Obika. You can't knock the loan signings we've brought in if you conveniently leave out the successes. On that basis Ferguson has never made a good signing in his life, if you only count Kleberson and Djemba-Djemba
  • Options

It's interesting that some people are moaning about us picking up Obika instead of using Azeez.. I'm aware that Azeez is one of ours, but other than that the whole basis for looking at Azeez is that he's looked good at Reserve level. And yet Obika has 15 goals at reserve level this season for the team top of their league. There's a fundamental logic fail there.

Also, The_President, I'm aware that you just like a moan, but you're knocking the level of loanee brought in by Powell...and then whining that we didn't get the likes of Hulse. Hm. He did sign Hulse on loan earlier in the season, and then didn't renew his loan as there's little point in having Yann, Fuller AND Hulse. We need someone quicker to play alongside the big men, hence Obika. You can't knock the loan signings we've brought in if you conveniently leave out the successes. On that basis Ferguson has never made a good signing in his life, if you only count Kleberson and Djemba-Djemba

You forgot Ralph Milne - top signing! ha ha!
  • Options
    So Powell replaced BWP with Obika...?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    AlexC said:

Well BWP went out on loan and Obika came in on loan. Both strikers. As our American friends would say "go figure"

• Options
    Its a good signing in that as ever we dont have a reliably fit set of strikers (Haynes and Fuller) or reliably quick (Yann) so lets see how this guy shapes up. If he is anything between Fuller and Haynes then play on. If he is better than bwp then it all makes financial sense.I would not play him today though.
  • Options
    AlexC said:

Well yes

BUT we don't know if BWP requested the loan as he is out of contract in the summer.
  • Options

AlexC said:

Well yes

BUT we don't know if BWP requested the loan as he is out of contract in the summer.
    Or how much each of them cost us PW.
  • Options
    Obika basic wage we aint paying much
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited February 2013
    I am feeling a bit underwhelmed. I was hoping for Schlupp from Leicester to sign, as Schlupp might be one of the future, if the owners had any money and were inclined to invest any if they did in Chris Powell and Charlton in promoting a push for the premeirship next season. (Easy to spend other peoples money I know, and I respect the fact that TJ / MS and other are keeping the club afloat).

Lots of questions.

I am not sure where, Obika plays, is he lead striker, or does he play off say someone like KMG or Fuller leading the line ? Does he work hard as a player as part of the team or he does he hang about up front ? I read on the thread that he has scored 15 goals for the Tottenham Under 21s. He is probably going into this loan more confident than all the other loans he has completed. Hopefully, this will follow through with Charlton. Is John Obika the type of player that needs to play regularly to score, or is he going to manage to score, when playing off the bench or the bits and pieces he is going to get as a loanee ?

What is Tottenham's expectation of how much game time he is going to get ?

He is a bit older now, and Tottenham coaching staff must rate him or at least think that he will command some kind of a fee or they would not have given him a 4 year contract. Maybe he will achieve more on this loan then the others.

It does appear to be a cover signing though and not one for the future for Charlton. How successful are these loans in similar circumstances ?

At minimum, Charlton fans should welcome him to the club and give Obika a chance.

• Options
    Obika does seem to be one for the future for Tottenham would not have put him on a 4 year contract. Tottenham are going to want proper money for him if they want to let him part at all.

Do the owners have any of that and of the little that Charlton are likely to have to spend, do went to part with most of that for Obika, when other positions need strengthening ? Is Chris Powell looking to show the type of striker that the club needs to move on ?

Obika does well at Charlton, his stock rises for Tottenham and they will be looking for a bigger fee.

Lots of questions and guesses as usual with the TJ / MS / and other who own the club. I only seem to hear from MS when he wants me to renew my season ticket. I see evidence of them wanting to keep the club afloat to protect their investment but no real evidence that they trust or want Chris Powell to be the manager in the future.

Within all that, I will welcome John Obika to the club, and give him a chance. I am feeling pretty reserved as it seems unlikely that Obika will be a Charlton player beyond the end of the season. If he gives everything in a way that Pritchard and Wagstaff does, that may change my feelings.

If he does well, thats great, it will help to solidfy Charlton's position in the Champsionship. If not, at least all the other loanees that did not work out in the end - Frimpong, Seabourne at least they ended pretty swiftly.

Good luck to him and all that.
  • Options
    If the nigels think he's rubbish, then that's more than good enough for me :)
  • Options
    Fact is hes here ,deserves the benifit of the doubt instead of all the pre judging.
  • Options

Can see this fella having a similar impact as Eggert Jonsson. Would have preferred Powell took a 'look at' azeez.

Exactly my point - Powell's loan signings have been brilliant this season so far havnt they?.........the best amongst them being Egghead,Frimpong,Seaborne(what a cracker of a game he had v Ipswich).
    I've watched big O a couple of times and, as i mentioned before, both times he was total Pony.And then i see the quality of loanees that other clubs bring in.
    Powell's loan signings last year were spot on an added something when we needed it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2013

Fair point Garry.
    Yes,i am only naturally going to highlight Chrissy's less successful loan signings because they highlight my point - however, i notice you dont mention any of his loan successes?
    And, i'd like to pull you up on one point if i may, in as much as i'm not a habitual moaner - i simply mentioned that in the times i have watched him that i wasnt that impressed and felt that there was better out there - purely my opinion, something i tried to put over in a succint and eloquent way, only to receive a whole load of less than eloquent remarks thrown my way - fair enough !
    I have always backed Chrissy up, but it seems that in highligthing what i beleieve are shortcomings , some people want to pull up the drawbridge and start throwing arrows.
    Its my opinion, we're all entitled to one ! - i would naturally, love to be proved wrong !

COYR !
  • Options
    ozaddick said:

Powell's loan signings last year were spot on an added something when we needed it.
    Name them.

( i'm NOT having a pop, just want to try to get a balanced view in my own mind)

• Options

Scott Sinclair played less for us and we all thought he was guff.

Scott Sinclair made three substitute appearances, at least one of which would have been away from home - I wouldn't have thought too many formed an opinion on him. I know I didn't........
  • Options

ozaddick said:

Name them.

( i'm NOT having a pop, just want to try to get a balanced view in my own mind)

I would say n'guessan, cook, cort (on loan initially) and ephraim all played a part in our success last season. Didn't pull up trees but covered where we had gaps.
  • Options
    I'd add Hulse and Russell to that list. I thought Frimpong was a decent signing. If we'd had him a bit longer and his fitness had come up I think he could have been a very good player for us. I also think Seaborne gets some unfair stick. He had one real shocker of a game but he took part in a decent run of results for us when we didn't have any left-sided defenders whatsoever. He did a job for us during a period when we were playing too many players out of position nad suffering for it. It's unfortunate for him that the Ipswich match is the only thing he'll really be remembered for.

Compare Powell's loan record to Pardew's and it's not in the same galaxy
  • Options
    I wonder what Jonathan made of that shambles today.
  • Options
    Man of the match. One touch and it went to a red shirt. : - )

But with Yann missing for three games can the moaners now see why we needed another striker in on loan?
  • Options

Man of the match. One touch and it went to a red shirt. : - )

But with Yann missing for three games can the moaners now see why we needed another striker in on loan?

Don't bring your damned logic onto CL after a home loss Irving ;0)

• Options
    edited February 2013

AlexC said:

Well BWP went out on loan and Obika came in on loan. Both strikers. As our American friends would say "go figure"

Not my friends :-)

Ps Thought Obika was pony today
    :-)

• Options
    Agree. Obika is a striker and never troubled the keeper once.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!