Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Boston Bomb

Comments

• Options
    RIP. Unfortunately, I am not surprised. I do and don't agree with NLA regarding the London Marathon. I agree that it should be postponed in the sense that what if it was to be attacked? Everyone would be saying, well the warning signs were clearly there, and that we should have taken the precautionary action of calling it off rather than risking the lives of thousands. On the other hand, how far do you go? Do you start postponing all large-scale public events, i.e. football matches, in the fear that it is likely to be attacked? It would get to the point where no one leaves their home. I wouldn't know whether to postpone it or not, thankfully I don't have to make that decision.
  • Options
    F****ing unbelievable.
  • Options
    [Update, 4:58 p.m. ET] New details from Boston Police Commissioner Ed Davis:

– A third explosion happened at the John F. Kennedy Presidential Library "about a half-hour ago." The library is about 5 miles southeast of the Boston Marathon finish line.
    – Police don't immediately know whether that explosion is related to the two near the Boston Marathon finish line.

• Options
    It seems that there was a third bomb at the JFK library after all.
  • Options
    London marathon will be going ahead according to Nick Bitel the organiser (just been on ssn)

Massive decision, feel sorry for those had to make it

Feel for those in boston, terrible
  • Options
    London marathon will be going ahead according to Nick Bitel the organiser (just been on ssn)

• Options
    I can certainly see your point of view Aiden but i don't think it should be postponed. That's giving in, running scared etc etc. And if you postpone it this year, what happens next year?

Just step up security, extra police, extra searches. Show must go on, we can't give in to these nutters.
  • Options
    Senseless and tragic. Those poor people.
  • Options

Exactly this, what a horrible decision to make, i think there doing the right thing thoe .

• Options
    Too much this sort of thing for me to consume I have to turn it off

It makes me put all the family in one bed and shut the world out of their innocent minds

My boy came down and told us that it had happend and was saying do you think it's that nutty Korean bloke

As all it said on the radio he had on whilst doing his home work was a bomb has gone off in the USA

He looked so worried that it was some sort of ww3 moment
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Makes me even determined to run it on Sunday now to be honest.

Thoughts to those in Boston, I knew of one person running it as a "warm up" to London.
  • Options

I don't like the thought of giving in to these scum I deliberately went about my business via the tube and train network immediately as I could after 7-7 as to try to do my bit to prove you can't beat us

But if I had to make the call in Sunday I would be bricking it big time

It's compounded of course by the practicalities of the race and the fact that 40,000 people have targeted their training for this weekend and you just can't tell them to come back next week unless you are sure you have sufficient intel the race is under threat. Tbh it's a call for MI5 really not the organisers.
  • Options

I can certainly see your point of view Aiden but i don't think it should be postponed. That's giving in, running scared etc etc. And if you postpone it this year, what happens next year?

Just step up security, extra police, extra searches. Show must go on, we can't give in to these nutters.

A minutes silence at the start line before the race might be appropriate I think
  • Options
    Terrible, terrible news. I just got back from Boston 10 days ago - my hotel was on Boylston St. Boston is a wonderful city, probably my favourite in USA and they will bounce back.

RIP.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    But that also says 12 dead when official press conference just given by Police Chief and Mayor said 2, and no Suspects at this time.

Horrific, cowardly attack whoever's responsible.
  • Options
    Absolutely terrifying. They have just posted this footage. No shots of fatalities but please do view with caution.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=046MuD1pYJg&desktop_uri=/watch?v=046MuD1pYJg&feature=youtu.be
  • Options
    But that also says 12 dead when official press conference just given by Police Chief and Mayor said 2, and no Suspects at this time.

Looking at the bombs, the number of people in the vicinity and the carnage I think there will be more than two dead - I don't want to start conspiracy theories here but I maybe the real number of dead is being suppressed, perhaps to avoid panic.

• Options
    Fox news reporting 'a person of interest' is being guarded in hospital
  • Options

Fox news reporting 'a person of interest' is being guarded in hospital

A Saudi national apparently. Severely injured.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fair play to so many of those that ran straight in to clear the barricades and help others directly in front of the blast zone. Their actions instead of just legging it probably saved a lot of lives!!
  • Options
    RIP
    The photo of the poor guy who has lost most of his leg is horrific.
    A terrible attack.
  • Options
    Brave indeed. The second hit bomb (developed much closer to home) is there to kill all the poor bastards that go to help.
  • Options
    cafcpolo said:

Fair play to so many of those that ran straight in to clear the barricades and help others directly in front of the blast zone. Their actions instead of just legging it probably saved a lot of lives!!

My thoughts too, heroes the lot of them.
  • Options
    I was thinking 'why a marathon', 'why Boston' then i read this:

"it is the second biggest single-day sporting event in the US behind the Super Bowl, in terms of media coverage"
  • Options

I was thinking 'why a marathon', 'why Boston' then i read this:

"it is the second biggest single-day sporting event in the US behind the Super Bowl, in terms of media coverage"

Plus it was a public holiday and there was a Red Sox game taking place earlier.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    RIP to those who lost their lives.

Ball bearings found in the street?
  • Options
    Just announced there is no one in custody .
  • Options
    Thoughts go to the families who have lost loved ones and the injured
  • Options
    Library incident now being described as a "fire" with no connection to the blasts.