Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Transfer Window Summer 2013 (Alnwick In, Green loan out, Stewart loan in)

Comments

• And Gower is a far more intelligent footballer than Bailey. No contest.
  • No contest really Gower over Bailey any time. Where we failed last seasoln was a lack of keeping the ball especially at home and a fit Gower with a pre season under his belt would be far superior in helping to achieve that than Bailey.
  • Bailey is a very good signing for Millwall. Would have strengthened us too but we couldn't afford him.
  • edited July 2013
    fuller one dimensional? have heard it all now!

of course, you meant one dimension as meaning picking the ball up, beating players and smashing into the goal. silly me.

ricardo is a quality player and he was disciplined whilst with us. he had serious problems with his shoulder last season. if thats fixed, no brainer - take him back. his overall fitness is excellent, ask any 2 CBs who had to mark him last season.

criticised for his facial expressions is also another new high for CL. its his onfield personality, who cares?

garry nelson and jonny rob were the same. players such as these like to show, through their emotions, the effort they put in. other players such as pritchard or wagstaff make it look easy.

such factors goes to style not substance. fuller has plenty of substance. personally, i also really like his style. i wouldnt fancy trying to keep him quiet during a game.

only reason he wouldnt fit is that i dont think he can play with Yann. but we have space for both in the squad.
  • Haynes was released because he is injury prone. Fuller is injury prone too. With our limited budget we can't afford a gamble and we can't afford passengers. If we could have kept one of the two I would have kept Haynes.
  • Except we can possibly get Fuller on a pay-per-play, so when injured he doesn't cost us anything. I imagine a similar deal was never on the table for Haynes.
  • Bailey would not have strengthened our team, he would've strengthened our squad. Bailey is being touted as some Gerrard-esque goal scoring and assisting machine that was released by the mighty Middlesbrough who finished SEVEN places below us. If Boro deemed someone they paid over 1m for not worthy of another contract then surely he's not that great.

You'd have to be nuts if you'd throw the balance of our midfield and Hughes/Gower out of the team for Bailey who is far too inconsistent and doesn't have the intelligence of Gower/Hughes.

I'd be chuffed if our transfers business ended with:

Adamo Couli - Free
    Evina - New deal
    Fuller - Free
    Obika - Loan
    Stewart - Nominal fee

Then maybe look at moving on Stephens and bringing another midfielder with any fee recouped from that sale.
  • Except we can possibly get Fuller on a pay-per-play, so when injured he doesn't cost us anything. I imagine a similar deal was never on the table for Haynes.

well according to Fuller there is no such deal on the table for him either and I expect if offered such a deal that when he plays he would want a wage we couldn't afford.

Not sure such a deal is 'on the table'. Also PPP deals are not so great. If you were on such a deal you wouldn't bust a gut to chase a ball if it meant overstretching and you'd avoid any tackles/play that might mean injury - to avoid missing out on pay (just in case)! Wouldn't help them team in the long run.

• cafc-west said:

Except we can possibly get Fuller on a pay-per-play, so when injured he doesn't cost us anything. I imagine a similar deal was never on the table for Haynes.

Not sure such a deal is 'on the table'. Also PPP deals are not so great. If you were on such a deal you wouldn't bust a gut to chase a ball if it meant overstretching and you'd avoid any tackles/play that might mean injury - to avoid missing out on pay (just in case)! Wouldn't help them team in the long run.

Think it's the opposite, if you don't bust a gut or put the effort in you just won't get picked, so no income.
  • Sponsored links:

well according to Fuller there is no such deal on the table for him either and I expect if offered such a deal that when he plays he would want a wage we couldn't afford.

Fuller is more likely to accept a pay as you play deal as he is at a completely different point of his career to Haynes. Haynes went off and signed a three year deal at Notts.

You are right in the fact that we need to offer him a deal for him to accept but if you were him would you accept it now? or would you wait to see what else you might be able to get. Likewise would you offer one now? or would you wait to see who else you might be able to sign.

He's training with us, I'm sure we'd get the heads up if he was talking to someone else which gives us time to act if we can.

We are gambling, but thats what you have to do sometimes when budgets are tight.

• Does such a thing as a "pay as you play" deal actually exist in football?

I would have though the PFA would have something to say about it and there are, I think, minimum pay rates for pro-footballers.

A low basic and high performance payments sounds great but can get very expensive if the player hits form and is in the side every week.
  • As Chris Powell said:-players brought in have to to be able to endure the rigures of 46 games. That has to rule Fuller out even if he was offered a pay as you play contract doesnt it?
  • edited July 2013
    As far as I'm aware "pay as you play" deal does exist, but it normally involves the player taking a "low" annual salary (say 52k per year) and then when they make a competitive first team appearance they will earn there "normal" wage .. so for Fuller say 10k for that week. There is then the incentive for the player to progress his fitness and try harder for the team. The only problem for us is we may end up not playing him as we can't afford him! Even if he was the most in-form player! I can't imagine Powell liking that either.
  • edited July 2013

As Chris Powell said:-players brought in have to to be able to endure the rigures of 46 games. That has to rule Fuller out even if he was offered a pay as you play contract doesnt it?

I would assume that everything Powell thought, said or hoped may have changed by this stage of the preseason.
  • He only said it on Wednesday after talking about Coulibaly on the official site
  • Good news that Ceddy has signed on again. Very pleased to have him back on board :)
  • We've offered Hulse a 1yr deal apparently
  • That would show we are in the shit
  • TelMc32 said:

Good news that Ceddy has signed on again. Very pleased to have him back on board :)

Where has this been confirmed?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2013
    Bailey is a mediocre signing. None of their signings are enough to propel them above us imo and with a new manager that has to impress their mob fans, how anyone can say they are 'looking strong' is beyond me.
  • @CAFCofficial: NEWS: Cedric Evina has signed a new one-year contract with Charlton. Full story --> http://t.co/r7txinyCzw (IL) #cafc http://t.co/lbzzI3KqFv
  • Text from Club confirming 1 year deal. On OS now.
  • Millwall are looking strong.
  • TelMc32 said:

Good news that Ceddy has signed on again. Very pleased to have him back on board :)

Where has this been confirmed?
    On the OS.

• Macronate said:

Millwall are looking strong.

looks like my money's safe then - I've got a £20 bet with Henry Irving that they finish above us this season - money to go to upbeats or Bromley CSC favoured charity.

• Hulse was alright with us. Experienced pro but he's not the answer. We'd still need Obika or Coulibaly as well.
  • Macronate said:

Millwall are looking strong.

looks like my money's safe then - I've got a £20 bet with Henry Irving that they finish above us this season - money to go to upbeats or Bromley CSC favoured charity.

Did you ever accept that bet then? I offered but I don't remembering you responding till now.
  • Hulse was alright with us. Experienced pro but he's not the answer. We'd still need Obika or Coulibaly as well.

If we still had Haynes I'd be quite happy with the idea of Hulse, together Haynes seemed to thrive off of him.

Hulse with Kermo though? Nahhhh.
  • edited July 2013
    We are mugs to think that Millwall have not done well. OK they have a new manager, and have tried to back him with players. A bit like when Chris started with us.The manager might turn out to be a Dean Saunders I don't know, but I doubt it. I would be very pleased if we could avoid losing to them in September.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!