Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Transfer Window Summer 2013 (Alnwick In, Green loan out, Stewart loan in)

Comments

• At present despite all the huffing, puffing and speculation we still only have one striker and people still say everything is alright.

No one is saying everything is alright, we are all well aware that is not the case. However wrist slashing is not helping either.

From what I can see we appear to have the defence and midfield sorted and presumably if the rumours about Obika have some substance he'll on his way once something can be negotiated. Fuller still seems to be around and Coulibaly has been given a trial and there's the possibility of other loanees/signings.

Yes it's of course ideal prep to do the Pre season with one striker. All part of SCP's plan or forced upon him by lack of funds.

• Yes it's of course ideal prep to do the Pre season with one striker. All part of SCP's plan or forced upon him by lack of funds.

I didn't say that this was ideal/sensible or anything of the like. The point I made was in reply to your suggestion that "people still say everything is alright". Clearly it isn't - just have a look at the Matt Wright leaving thread amongst others and you'll appreciate that the club, like its peers is strapped for cash.

I wish I knew where I could find a striker on a free transfer with a bit of pace and height, who'll score 10-15 goals next season and contribute a few more and not cost the earth in wages while remaining reasonably injury free. The problem is that every club not just in England but across Europe are looking for the same thing.

As I see it solving this is the most troublesome part of the equation, hence it's taking longer to arrange, any half decent strikers are in demand but CP is on the case.

• At present despite all the huffing, puffing and speculation we still only have one striker and people still say everything is alright.

No one is saying everything is alright, we are all well aware that is not the case. However wrist slashing is not helping either.

From what I can see we appear to have the defence and midfield sorted and presumably if the rumours about Obika have some substance he'll on his way once something can be negotiated. Fuller still seems to be around and Coulibaly has been given a trial and there's the possibility of other loanees/signings.

There's more substance than mere rumours about Obika. Powell publicly said yesterday (reported in local press) that he'd like Obika but that actually signing him - whether on loan or not - is a long way off. Are the Spuds holding out for a sale with proper cashmoney?

• I wish I knew where I could find a striker on a free transfer with a bit of pace and height, who'll score 10-15 goals next season and contribute a few more and not cost the earth in wages while remaining reasonably injury free. The problem is that every club not just in England but across Europe are looking for the same thing.

Steve Morrison ?
  • Steve Morrison ?

Signed for Millwall a month ago.
  • Exactly mon ami !
  • Season kicks off in two weeks today. At present despite all the huffing, puffing and speculation we still only have one striker and people still say everything is alright. We haven't got anybody in because we are skint. There is no other plausible explanation. Unless its crass stupidity.

I am really tired of reading posts containing phrases such as : 'we only have one striker' ..,. Pigott, Azeez and Smith are professional footballers under contract to CAFC .. ALL are strikers .. I would be in favour of one of them starting the season in an attacking role, in fact this will be pretty much a certainty (unless a striker of serious proven quality joins the club in the meantime)
    .... at the very least, criticisms of our 'strike force' should emphasis the inexperience of our young strikers .. I find it mildly insulting to imply that their ability is such that they MUST be replaced by somebody, indeed anybody
    Lincs - Powell himself publicly stated quite clearly the other day that we can not start the season with only one senior striker. Yes, I too was surprised by his outspokenness, and take it to be a message to S & J to find some dosh. And I agree with Powell: Pigott and Smith are good prospects, but to compete effectively in the Champs this season we need a proven goalscorer with first-team experience.

• Powell publicly said yesterday (reported in local press) that he'd like Obika but that actually signing him - whether on loan or not - is a long way off. Are the Spuds holding out for a sale with proper cashmoney?

Obika was given a one year contract by Spurs not long ago, presumably so that they could retain some equity in the player once it came to trading him on, otherwise they lose the lot if they release him. Perhaps like Button he'll be on his way if we can stump up a fee and then negotiate more in add ons for appearances/sell on etc. Maybe having paid a fee for Button (albeit an undisclosed one) Spurs want something similar for a player who'll see a lot more first team action.
  • I wish I knew where I could find a striker on a free transfer with a bit of pace and height, who'll score 10-15 goals next season and contribute a few more and not cost the earth in wages while remaining reasonably injury free. The problem is that every club not just in England but across Europe are looking for the same thing.

Steve Morrison ?

Adamo Coulibaly?

• Why can't people just wait till 3pm today to see if he's involved before getting their knickers in a twist.
  • Sponsored links:

• Am told by reliable source two new signings this week. Will of course expect Morocco and Belgium comments ........
  • masicat said:

Am told by reliable source two new signings this week. Will of course expect Morocco and Belgium comments ........

Coulibaly has played in Belgium...

• edited July 2013
    What I don't understand is why we just don't get obika on season long loan ( surely less complicated than negotiating a deal) then simpy sign him on a free transfer when the season's up - wouldnt have to pay apart from the small percentage spurs get for "rearing the player who would have been under 25"
  • sammy391 said:

What I don't understand is why we just don't get obika on season long loan ( surely less complicated than negotiating a deal) then simpy sign him on a free transfer when the season's up - wouldnt have to pay apart from the small percentage spurs get for "rearing the player who would have been under 25"

Perhaps we have tried and Spurs to us to do one.

• sammy391 said:

Well if Spurs have been told by Swindon or another team that they will pay 500k then I'm fairly sure they won't allow him to join us like that.
  • sam3110 said:

sammy391 said:

Well if Spurs have been told by Swindon or another team that they will pay 500k then I'm fairly sure they won't allow him to join us like that.
    Forgot about them! Totally right but at the end of the day Obika wants to come here and I'm sure he could swing it ,if it came to that
  • The Coulibaly knicker wetting on this thread is nothing short of pathetic. If he goes somewhere else he goes somewhere else. Many (who haven't seen him play) have decided "they'd be happy with him" - based on what? Even if people have seen him play it is unlikely that they seen more than a YouTube clip of him playing in a shit league or 60mins against a team 2 divisions below us.

Fully expect this place to go into melt down if he isn't at Portsmouth.

If he isn't so what, we have to look elsewhere.

No idea how some of you function in day to day life. Your stress levels must be off the scale.
  • Spurs offered Obika a new deal clearly hoping to get a decent fee for him. If no one has offered that by the end of August I expect he'll sign for someone on loan just before the deadline.
  • Scoham said:

Spurs offered Obika a new deal clearly hoping to get a decent fee for him. If no one has offered that by the end of August I expect he'll sign for someone on loan just before the deadline.

Wonder whether Obika regrets signing that one-year deal? I thought at the time it might be a tactical error on his part.

• edited July 2013

The Coulibaly knicker wetting on this thread is nothing short of pathetic. If he goes somewhere else he goes somewhere else. Many (who haven't seen him play) have decided "they'd be happy with him" - based on what? Even if people have seen him play it is unlikely that they seen more than a YouTube clip of him playing in a shit league or 60mins against a team 2 divisions below us.

No idea how some of you function in day to day life. Your stress levels must be off the scale.

Not quite, Clem - I did see him play, for an hour on Wednesday. I'm normally cautious, sceptical - for instance, despite his goals for us I'm still not convinced about Obika - but Coulibaly made a really good impression right from the off.

• Sponsored links:

• Next seasons strike force will be Kermorgant, Sordell, Coulibaly and Obika.

Factoid
  • Swisdom said:

Next seasons strike force will be Kermorgant, Sordell, Coulibaly and Obika.

Factoid

I would very much like but doubt that.

• Swisdom said:

Factoid

This would be pleasing.
  • Swisdom said:

Factoid

Good enough for me...

• The Coulibaly knicker wetting on this thread is nothing short of pathetic. If he goes somewhere else he goes somewhere else. Many (who haven't seen him play) have decided "they'd be happy with him" - based on what? Even if people have seen him play it is unlikely that they seen more than a YouTube clip of him playing in a shit league or 60mins against a team 2 divisions below us.

Not quite, Clem - I did see him play, for an hour on Wednesday. I'm normally cautious, sceptical - for instance, despite his goals for us I'm still not convinced about Obika - but Coulibaly made a really good impression right from the off.

Obika is a player we can develop. His loan with us was the first real impact he made at Championship level. I'm sure there's more to come from him.
  • I think alot of people have got rose tinted glasses on when it comes to Obika he scored a couple of goals but his overall play is terrible
  • Season kicks off in two weeks today. At present despite all the huffing, puffing and speculation we still only have one striker and people still say everything is alright. We haven't got anybody in because we are skint. There is no other plausible explanation. Unless its crass stupidity.

Yeah I'm bored of all the people saying it's great that we've got one senior striker. I'd rather not suggest that Powell is crass or stupid. Maybe he wants to get the right player for the right money. Personally happier with that than the fleets of abbott, benno, swizzle, varney, kandol and akpos that have been making up the numbers recently.
  • He started two games for us, one out wide in a 4-3-3 that the whole team struggled with. Too early to say if he'd be good enough to regularly start, but I think he showed enough to be worth us having another look.

Yeah I'm bored of all the people saying it's great that we've got one senior striker. I'd rather not suggest that Powell is crass or stupid. Maybe he wants to get the right player for the right money. Personally happier with that than the fleets of abbott, benno, swizzle, varney, kandol and akpos that have been making up the numbers recently.
    Not suggesting that SCP is stupid. What I'm saying is that any scenario that leaves us two weeks away from our first fixture with only one striker is definitely stupid. I doubt SCP has had much say in it.

• Swisdom said:

Factoid

Is Factoid >>>> FACT?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!