Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Pubs, and the demise of.

Comments

• edited June 30
    Sorry to see both The Welsh Tavern and The Lads of The Village closed on a recent walk around Stone....only The Bull left in that area now. For those who live in the area how many pubs have disappeared on the main road (London Road/A226) from Dartford to Gravesend? Or how many have actually survived?
  • The Greenwich Union was a Meantime brewery pub. 
    Asahi have announced they are closing the Meantime brewery in Greenwich and moving operations to Chiswick. 
    Death of another British beer at the hands of a multinational. 
    Hardly an historic loss. Founded in 1999. The “death” of this beer is entirely in the hands of the founder that cashed in…
  • Sorry to see both The Welsh Tavern and The Lads of The Village closed on a recent walk around Stone....only The Bull left in that area now. For those who live in the area how many pubs have disappeared on the main road (London Road/A226) from Dartford to Gravesend? Or how many have actually survived?
    George and Dragon at Swanscombe has closed - Railway Tavern between Stone and Swanscombe long ago became a McDonalds - going into Dartford down East Hill the Woodman has closed, Victory long gone (pizza takeaway now), Newtown Tavern long gone
  • Sorry to see both The Welsh Tavern and The Lads of The Village closed on a recent walk around Stone....only The Bull left in that area now. For those who live in the area how many pubs have disappeared on the main road (London Road/A226) from Dartford to Gravesend? Or how many have actually survived?
    I knew the Lads had shut but I also heard that their application to turn it into flats was turned down & that it was to be kept as a pub?
    Was rather hoping someone would come in for it.
    Wishful thinking no doubt.
  • Has the Old Tigers Head Lee Green been mentioned.
  • Acab said:
    Has the Old Tigers Head Lee Green been mentioned.
    Has that shut then?

I know the New Tigers Head opposite went years ago, but the Old was still there a few weeks ago.
  • How far is the Tigers Head? (Old or new)
  • Sponsored links:

George and Dragon at Swanscombe has closed - Railway Tavern between Stone and Swanscombe long ago became a McDonalds - going into Dartford down East Hill the Woodman has closed, Victory long gone (pizza takeaway now), Newtown Tavern long gone
    Is the Fulwich still open?
    Yes
  • Off_it said:
    Acab said:
    Has the Old Tigers Head Lee Green been mentioned.
    Has that shut then?

I know the New Tigers Head opposite went years ago, but the Old was still there a few weeks ago.
    Boarded up last week.  It's almost had as many managers as Charlton in recent years.  No-one has quite managed to make it work.  I feel for the last guys, as they tried very hard to turn it around but it was clearly in trouble early doors.  I remember going in months ago and none of the beers were on - not a single tap.  The pub then had erratic opening hours and the lights were always turned right down.

It's a good location - you'd think it should be able to be a viable pub.
  • Any news on what’s happening to The Pickwick?
  • The Orange Tree Dartford end of the Hawley Road has closed down in last couple of weeks. 

• The Orange Tree Dartford end of the Hawley Road has closed down in last couple of weeks. 

Will the Cressy be next?

It’s reopened I think

Will the Cressy be next?
    Still going strong - has a hardcore of locals who keep it afloat - always seems busy when I go past it
  • Sponsored links:

It’s reopened I think
    Talking Dartford, is The Maltshovel still going?
  • LenGlover said:
    The Orange Tree Dartford end of the Hawley Road has closed down in last couple of weeks. 

It’s reopened I think
    Certainly, cracking pub - very popular, and well run

I heard a few things about the chef not being paid and something about the sky bill. Not sure how true
  • LenGlover said:
    The Orange Tree Dartford end of the Hawley Road has closed down in last couple of weeks. 

It’s reopened I think
    Certainly, cracking pub - very popular, and well run
    I second that!!
  • One of my locals in Bromley, The Prince Frederick, has been put up for sale, £500,000. Probably go to a developer.
  • Nags Head in Welling has had a big makeover and looks good from pics I’ve seen 
  • addick19 said:
    One of my locals in Bromley, The Prince Frederick, has been put up for sale, £500,000. Probably go to a developer.
    Not a great development site, I knew someone who looked at it a few years back. Parking is the issue as from memory there’s no land really.
  • Nags Head in Welling has had a big makeover and looks good from pics I’ve seen 
    it's very nice inside and out
  • Rob7Lee said:
    addick19 said:
    One of my locals in Bromley, The Prince Frederick, has been put up for sale, £500,000. Probably go to a developer.
    Not a great development site, I knew someone who looked at it a few years back. Parking is the issue as from memory there’s no land really.
    I hope you’re right. It’s my local too. 
    Yes
    It isnt Australian Andy turned it into a hotel and no bar- it was my local for years

Literally every pub from the George and Dragon to Datrford has gone now.  Railway, Welcome Inn, The Lads, The welsh, the bricklayers, the Tradesmens, the woodman, the victory, the Fulwich, the Belle,  Its ridiculous. 

I now drink in teh Bird in Hand and god knws how long thats got left.