Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Pubs, and the demise of.

Comments

• The very large site that was the Great Harry in Parsonage Manor Way was boarded up in August 21.  Still nothing.

There are plans afoot to replace with 32 flats but when? 

• Surprised at the EDT on that list and not John the Unicorn Rye Lane.
    Antics have always been a cross between property developers and a pub chain. 
    They have gone into administration before I believe.
  • TelMc32 said:
    The group that owned the now closed Equitable and I think they were meant to be the ones looking to open a bar within old council offices near the old Plumstead baths.
    Plumble, granted quite a restricted licence last December after the police moaned about the number of offies in the area: https://greenwichwire.co.uk/2023/12/15/antic-wins-a-licence-for-a-new-pub-in-plumstead-but-only-40-drinkers-will-be-allowed/ 

It may well have been that Antic decided it wasn't worth the bother - one of its network of companies, Jove Ltd, was planning to buy the building from the council. 

The Plumble licence is in the name of Antic London Ltd, not the company planning to buy the building, and not one of the companies in administration: https://regulations.royalgreenwich.gov.uk/registers/index.html?fa=licence_register&licence_id=17260&council_id=12
    Thanks. I remember reading about the onerous restrictions and thinking then that it was ridiculous.  The police really are extracting the proverbial with their objections to new pubs. Apparently anywhere that sells booze, including offies, supermarkets, corner shops seems to give them carte blanche  to object as they moan to the council that these are “licensed premises” and there are too many of them.  

They aren’t bloody pubs though!!! 🤬
  • msomerton said:
    Surprised at the EDT on that list and not John the Unicorn Rye Lane.
    Because Antic is a number of different companies linked by the same director; the EDT will be under one company, John the Unicorn the other.

There is no one overarching "Antic" company to go into administration. 
  • John the Unicorn is one of the pubs that the Portobello brewery took over last time Antic had problems
  • Westow House at Crystal Palace was one of theirs but now serves Portobello beers so assume the same as above?
  • It's a shame that Antic have not taken over more boozers, I have always liked how they have been decked out.
  • They used to serve some lovely sausage rolls.
  • msomerton said:
    Surprised at the EDT on that list and not John the Unicorn Rye Lane.
    Because Antic is a number of different companies linked by the same director; the EDT will be under one company, John the Unicorn the other.

There is no one overarching "Antic" company to go into administration. 
    Thanks for theinfo. Never understood how they were set up. I do know they went into admin in 2013.
  • John the Unicorn is one of the pubs that the Portobello brewery took over last time Antic had problems
    I spend way too much time in John the Unicorn!
  • Sponsored links:

• se9addick said:
    John the Unicorn is one of the pubs that the Portobello brewery took over last time Antic had problems

Googled it and it looks nice.
    Skehans in Nunhead is fantastic, two minutes from Nunhead station.
  • clive said:
    Have any of those units been a long-term success since being built? Feel like they constantly change hands even when big chains have moved in. 
  • iaitch said:
    Westow House at Crystal Palace was one of theirs but now serves Portobello beers so assume the same as above?
    Certainly is. The Antic pub round there is Coopers, just down Westow Hill and in what looks like an old branch of Woolworths 
  • Thanks not been to Coopers, didn't know it existed, as usually get to Westow House and stay there.
  • edited July 19
    R0TW said:
    Well with this current temperature rise, I am off out to help those struggling landlords.
    Not all heroes wear capes.
    And now I have returned and managed to get a thread closed.
    Now time for a double header of wheeler dealers.
  • R0TW said:
    R0TW said:
    Well with this current temperature rise, I am off out to help those struggling landlords.
    Getting a thread closed is worthy of a promote :)
  • R0TW said:
    R0TW said:
    Hold out yer ‘and
  • Sponsored links:

• se9addick said:
    John the Unicorn is one of the pubs that the Portobello brewery took over last time Antic had problems

Yeah Sekhans is good. It’s about a 20 minute walk from our house, problem is that there are five or six really good pubs closer than 20 mins away so I don’t make it to Sekhans very often!
  • se9addick said:
    se9addick said:

Yeah Sekhans is good. It’s about a 20 minute walk from our house, problem is that there are five or six really good pubs closer than 20 mins away so I don’t make it to Sekhans very often!
    Start at Sekhans and work your way back.
  • se9addick said:
    se9addick said:

I'm guessing you're in Peckham then cos I can't get 5 or 6 good pubs in New Cross/Brockley 
  • rananegra said:
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:

I'm guessing you're in Peckham then cos I can't get 5 or 6 good pubs in New Cross/Brockley 
    Yeah in Peckham. There’s the Victoria Inn, Montpellier, White Horse and John the Unicorn within 5 mins walk of our house (plus the Nags Head if you’re after a cheap pint and some chaos!). Plus the Brick Brewery, where I am now.

There’s tons of other bars and pubs around Rye Lane but I don’t frequent most of them as I’m neither young enough nor cool enough. Beer Rebellion on Queens Road is decent, but similar to Sekhans it requires walking past so many other good places to get to that I’m only in there a few times a year. 
  • For anyone interested I popped in to the Royal Oak (Polly clean stairs) and the new landlord confirmed to me that they are having work done out the back to turn the part which was previously the nursery in to a playground for kids. Hopefully that will increase the number of customers.
  • For anyone interested I popped in to the Royal Oak (Polly clean stairs) and the new landlord confirmed to me that they are having work done out the back to turn the part which was previously the nursery in to a playground for kids. Hopefully that will increase the number of customers.
    that's cracking news - my local pub
  • Gribbo said:
    Living in Westerham now and seriously considering starting a micropub, as all the existing pubs are far too heavily geared towards food. I find it awkward standing in a bar area, having a drink while there are people sitting at arse level, 3 foot behind me, trying to act all sophisticated having a 3 course meal. 

Really do think that a little micropub could do well in a town like this
    Good luck.
  • Gribbo said:
    Living in Westerham now and seriously considering starting a micropub, as all the existing pubs are far too heavily geared towards food. I find it awkward standing in a bar area, having a drink while there are people sitting at arse level, 3 foot behind me, trying to act all sophisticated having a 3 course meal. 

Really do think that a little micropub could do well in a town like this
    The Real Ale Way (opposite Hayes station) did have a place in Westerham but it only lasted a couple of years - unfortunately it opened only a few months before the pandemic.

It was a nice place - it used to be a funeral parlour, so they already had a cold room at the back to keep the beer...

https://www1.camra.org.uk/pubs/real-ale-way-westerham-128514