Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Pubs, and the demise of.

Comments

• Sorry to see both The Welsh Tavern and The Lads of The Village closed on a recent walk around Stone....only The Bull left in that area now. For those who live in the area how many pubs have disappeared on the main road (London Road/A226) from Dartford to Gravesend? Or how many have actually survived?
    George and Dragon at Swanscombe has closed - Railway Tavern between Stone and Swanscombe long ago became a McDonalds - going into Dartford down East Hill the Woodman has closed, Victory long gone (pizza takeaway now), Newtown Tavern long gone
    Is the Fulwich still open?
    Yes
    It isnt Australian Andy turned it into a hotel and no bar- it was my local for years

Literally every pub from the George and Dragon to Datrford has gone now.  Railway, Welcome Inn, The Lads, The welsh, the bricklayers, the Tradesmens, the woodman, the victory, the Fulwich, the Belle,  Its ridiculous. 

I now drink in teh Bird in Hand and god knws how long thats got left.  
    It still has a bar according to its website, so I assumed that the bar is open to the general public - is that not the case ?
  • Nags Head in Welling has had a big makeover and looks good from pics I’ve seen 
    Just saw the photos online, I'd never have guessed Nags Head, looks good. 
  • Sorry to see both The Welsh Tavern and The Lads of The Village closed on a recent walk around Stone....only The Bull left in that area now. For those who live in the area how many pubs have disappeared on the main road (London Road/A226) from Dartford to Gravesend? Or how many have actually survived?
    George and Dragon at Swanscombe has closed - Railway Tavern between Stone and Swanscombe long ago became a McDonalds - going into Dartford down East Hill the Woodman has closed, Victory long gone (pizza takeaway now), Newtown Tavern long gone
    Is the Fulwich still open?
    Yes
    It isnt Australian Andy turned it into a hotel and no bar- it was my local for years

Literally every pub from the George and Dragon to Datrford has gone now.  Railway, Welcome Inn, The Lads, The welsh, the bricklayers, the Tradesmens, the woodman, the victory, the Fulwich, the Belle,  Its ridiculous. 

Glad the Bird in Hand is still going. Was literally around the corner from our house in Maiden Lane. Mind you last time I was in there was after John Shanahans funeral. He got knocked down outside it. Awful 😞 
  • LenGlover said:
    The Orange Tree Dartford end of the Hawley Road has closed down in last couple of weeks. 

It’s reopened I think
    Talking Dartford, is The Maltshovel still going?
    Certainly, cracking pub - very popular, and well run
    I second that!!  

Was good years ago so glad to hear still going and still good.

• It isnt Australian Andy turned it into a hotel and no bar- it was my local for years

Glad the Bird in Hand is still going. Was literally around the corner from our house in Maiden Lane. Mind you last time I was in there was after John Shanahans funeral. He got knocked down outside it. Awful 😞 
    Unfortunately, Bird in the Hand is due to close later this month as current landlord has given up the struggle.

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/pAysWsTVCxrNh2Ze/ 

My understanding is that a new landlord has been secured & they take over in October but not confirmed.
  • housemate said:

Unfortunately, Bird in the Hand is due to close later this month as current landlord has given up the struggle.

My understanding is that a new landlord has been secured & they take over in October but not confirmed.
    Correct, really nice husband and wife.
  • Macronate said:
    housemate said:

Correct, really nice husband and wife.
    Bloody hell. Didn’t know Adam was leaving. He’s one of us and has Charlton memorabilia on the walls. 

I best get up there to say good bye. Hope the new couple get in soon. 

I remember the fella getting knocked over. He was a friend of people I know. 
  • addick19 said:
    One of my locals in Bromley, The Prince Frederick, has been put up for sale, £500,000. Probably go to a developer.
    Why do you say that?
  • Rob7Lee said:
    addick19 said:
    One of my locals in Bromley, The Prince Frederick, has been put up for sale, £500,000. Probably go to a developer.
    Not a great development site, I knew someone who looked at it a few years back. Parking is the issue as from memory there’s no land really.
    Rob, there are plenty of sites in the area that have been redeveloped recently; believe me, lack of parking wont stop a developer.
  • Blimey Nags Head looks great! Next CL drink up?

The Bull Shooters Hill has a had a good refurb after the awful last one and the pub is thriving. Great garden. For when you get nice weather.., 
  • Sponsored links:

• addick19 said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    addick19 said:
    Not a great development site, I knew someone who looked at it a few years back. Parking is the issue as from memory there’s no land really.
    Rob, there are plenty of sites in the area that have been redeveloped recently; believe me, lack of parking wont stop a developer.
    I think Bromley had been a lot stricter on planing re parking the last few years. Not sure who owns the land behind but doesn't appear to be the pub (probably was once upon a time).
  • I got told last night that planning rules around parking are generally that there needs to be available street parking within 1 mile of the development - 1 MILE !!!.

this is from a mate who owns a local estate agents. He also believes the Welling ground redevelopment is soon to get the go ahead despite them saying 100+ flats with no parking allocated 
  • Rob7Lee said:
    addick19 said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    addick19 said:
    I think Bromley had been a lot stricter on planing re parking the last few years. Not sure who owns the land behind but doesn't appear to be the pub (probably was once upon a time).
    Thing is Rob, the developer keep adjusting their plans and chipping away at the council until they finally agree to one of the proposals. Same thing happened to the Rising Sun pub in Upper Elmer's End road - now a Co-op with flats above.
  • addick19 said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    addick19 said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    addick19 said:
    Thing is Rob, the developer keep adjusting their plans and chipping away at the council until they finally agree to one of the proposals. Same thing happened to the Rising Sun pub in Upper Elmer's End road - now a Co-op with flats above.
    I’m sure you are right, planing laws are set to be relaxed further.

i guess bluntly it’s a case of housing is in greater need than pubs as peoples habits change and pubs seem to be used a lot less than they once were.
  • Probably pop in to the oak today with kid before football today for a couple, help support
  • i could be wrong but i believe i read something regarding stamping down on developers who mislead with plans, a lot of developers were buying pubs initially saying it will be flats with a bar underneath then after 6 months to a year they claim its unworkable as a pub and change plans for t to be flats/homes purely and of course the council are at a point then when they cant fight it as its a choice between an abandoned building and new homes.
  • Purelake are just round the corner from the Fred, they know something about pulling down pubs as they 'accidently' demolished the Greyhound in Sydenham and were quite rightly told to rebuild it.
  • iaitch said:
    Purelake are just round the corner from the Fred, they know something about pulling down pubs as they 'accidently' demolished the Greyhound in Sydenham and were quite rightly told to rebuild it.
    I bet they done that quickly.
  • The Guard House pub and restaurant on the Royal Arsenal site in Woolwich is up for sale.
    https://www.fromthemurkydepths.co.uk/2024/07/14/woolwich-pub-and-restaurant-up-for-sale/
  • edited July 15

This one has seen better days but they still have live music.
    I'd not chance it at night though.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 15
    clive said:
    The Guard House pub and restaurant on the Royal Arsenal site in Woolwich is up for sale.
    https://www.fromthemurkydepths.co.uk/2024/07/14/woolwich-pub-and-restaurant-up-for-sale/
    Always felt a bit odd that they were competing with themselves across a few yards at The Dial Arch. 
    Woolwich must be one of the worst hit towns around in terms of lost pubs over the years. So few left now.
  • Saw in the press today that a chain with a dozen or so pubs across SE London is closing them all. 
    I know one of them was in E Dulwich. 
  • It's Antic, here's the list.

• The Antelope, Tooting
    • Balham Bowls Club, Balham
    • Clapton Hart, Clapton
    • East Dulwich Tavern, East Dulwich
    • Elephant and Castle Pub, Elephant and Castle
    • Hagen & Hyde, Balham
    • The Sun, Camberwell
    • Gremio de Brixton, Brixton
    • Graveney & Meadow, Tooting Broadway
    • Dogstar, Brixton
    • Tooting Tram & Social, Tooting
    • Red Lion, Leytonstone
    • Coopers, Crystal Palace
  • iaitch said:
    It's Antic, here's the list.

• The Antelope, Tooting
    • Clapton Hart, Clapton
    • Hagen & Hyde, Balham
    • The Sun, Camberwell
    • Dogstar, Brixton
    • Red Lion, Leytonstone
    https://www.thecaterer.com/news/portfolio-of-antic-pubs-and-bars-enter-administration
  • The group that owned the now closed Equitable and I think they were meant to be the ones looking to open a bar within old council offices near the old Plumstead baths.
  • TelMc32 said:
    The group that owned the now closed Equitable and I think they were meant to be the ones looking to open a bar within old council offices near the old Plumstead baths.

They formerly operated the Woolwich Equitable which closed last year due to a rent dispute.

The GPO in Eltham changed hands while Sutton Radio in Lewisham shut up shop.

This news may also be the final nail in the coffin of plans for a Woolwich pub at the western end of Powis Street.

https://www.fromthemurkydepths.co.uk/2024/07/16/pub-group-antic-enters-administration-with-13-sites-up-for-sale/
  • Saw in the press today that a chain with a dozen or so pubs across SE London is closing them all. 
    I know one of them was in E Dulwich. 
    I don’t think the pubs are actually closing, but Antic (their owner) has entered administration. The East Dulwich Tavern is pretty much always busy so I assume/hope that will find a buyer.

Tough times for an industry that’s integral to our national culture, I really hope the new government find more effective ways of supporting this sector of the economy. 
  • iaitch said:
    It's Antic, here's the list.

• The Antelope, Tooting
    • Clapton Hart, Clapton
    • Hagen & Hyde, Balham
    • The Sun, Camberwell
    • Dogstar, Brixton
    • Red Lion, Leytonstone
    I've had some really good nights in a few of these. Hope they survive
  • edited July 16
    TelMc32 said:
    The group that owned the now closed Equitable and I think they were meant to be the ones looking to open a bar within old council offices near the old Plumstead baths.
    Plumble, granted quite a restricted licence last December after the police moaned about the number of offies in the area: https://greenwichwire.co.uk/2023/12/15/antic-wins-a-licence-for-a-new-pub-in-plumstead-but-only-40-drinkers-will-be-allowed/ 

It may well have been that Antic decided it wasn't worth the bother - one of its network of companies, Jove Ltd, was planning to buy the building from the council. 

The Plumble licence is in the name of Antic London Ltd, not the company planning to buy the building, and not one of the companies in administration: https://regulations.royalgreenwich.gov.uk/registers/index.html?fa=licence_register&licence_id=17260&council_id=12