Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Pubs, and the demise of.

1606162636466»

Comments

• Rob7Lee said:
    As a young lad living on Eltham Hill back in the 60's I believe (my dad said anyway) that there were 11 places you could drink from the Yorkshire Grey roundabout to the top of Eltham High Street.  They were, and please add them if I've missed any.

The Yorkshire Grey
    Eltham Hill Social (Next to the old swimming baths)
    The White Hart
    The Chequers
    The Kings Arms
    The Crown
    The Greyhound
    The Carpenters Arms
    The Rising Sun
    The Man of Kent
    Eltham Conservative Club.

How many are still there? I know the Post Office was a new addition, but I haven't been back to Eltham for a few years now.

My favourite was The Crown, run by Dolly back then.

Whoops I missed off the Park Tavern which was my Mum and Dad's favourite which makes 12, and I'm pretty sure there were 13 in total. A nice easy pub crawl in the day.
    You also missed off the Castle, closed when they built the Sainsbury's, where the KFC now is.

Used to have a Charlton connection 
    Certainly wasn't for the  faint hearted.
  • Rob7Lee said:
    As a young lad living on Eltham Hill back in the 60's I believe (my dad said anyway) that there were 11 places you could drink from the Yorkshire Grey roundabout to the top of Eltham High Street.  They were, and please add them if I've missed any.

The Yorkshire Grey
    Eltham Hill Social (Next to the old swimming baths)
    The White Hart
    The Chequers
    The Kings Arms
    The Crown
    The Greyhound
    The Carpenters Arms
    The Rising Sun
    The Man of Kent
    Eltham Conservative Club.

How many are still there? I know the Post Office was a new addition, but I haven't been back to Eltham for a few years now.

My favourite was The Crown, run by Dolly back then.

Whoops I missed off the Park Tavern which was my Mum and Dad's favourite which makes 12, and I'm pretty sure there were 13 in total. A nice easy pub crawl in the day.
    You also missed off the Castle, closed when they built the Sainsbury's, where the KFC now is.

Used to have a Charlton connection 
    Certainly wasn't for the  faint hearted.
    It was a little rough, but not too bad, I knew quite a few of the regulars and the guy that ran the fruit and veg stall outside, his Saturday boy was a family friend and an ABA boxing champ so never really had any issues, there was the odd fight, but generally was OK.
  • The London & Rye, the Catford Wetherspoons, closed on Sunday night. The building was recently up for sale. Went past last night and it was all lit up as if it was still open...
  • I used the Castle 35 years+ ago and I always had a chuckle cos the Guvnor had his CAFC tatt on his knuckles while the pub, like Eltham, had lurched to the Dark side.
  • Gribbo said:
    Lovely few beers sat in Long Pond today
    Was the Guvnor there? If so how's he doing?
  • LenGlover said:
    Gribbo said:
    Lovely few beers sat in Long Pond today
    Was the Guvnor there? If so how's he doing?
    Had a little chat with him, he's doing well len mate 👍
  • edited September 5

Just popped in here for one, had never been and always threatened to go in there.

It's a lot bigger than I thought it was.

Woolwich is an interesting place nowadays.
  • Sponsored links:

• Just popped in here for one, had never been and always threatened to go in there.

The old goldfish bowl.
  • Gribbo said:
    Living in Westerham now and seriously considering starting a micropub, as all the existing pubs are far too heavily geared towards food. I find it awkward standing in a bar area, having a drink while there are people sitting at arse level, 3 foot behind me, trying to act all sophisticated having a 3 course meal. 

Really do think that a little micropub could do well in a town like this
    The Real Ale Way (opposite Hayes station) did have a place in Westerham but it only lasted a couple of years - unfortunately it opened only a few months before the pandemic.

It was a nice place - it used to be a funeral parlour, so they already had a cold room at the back to keep the beer...

https://www1.camra.org.uk/pubs/real-ale-way-westerham-128514
    Knew the owner very well; he was landlord of The Freelands Tavern (my local) in Bromley North. Opened micro pubs in West Wickham and Hayes I believe. Not sure if either are still going.
  • edited September 7

Just popped in here for one, had never been and always threatened to go in there.

I’m here now for the first time. What a pub! Big, clean sky sports, dart board. I couldn’t  ask for any more. 

Add the dial Arch pub on the list in Woolwich I will be coming a lot more times here, over drinking in Charlton. 
  • Plus £5:25 for a pint of Amstel and Pork Scratchings