Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Pubs, and the demise of.

Comments

• Gribbo said:
    Living in Westerham now and seriously considering starting a micropub, as all the existing pubs are far too heavily geared towards food. I find it awkward standing in a bar area, having a drink while there are people sitting at arse level, 3 foot behind me, trying to act all sophisticated having a 3 course meal. 

Really do think that a little micropub could do well in a town like this
    The Real Ale Way (opposite Hayes station) did have a place in Westerham but it only lasted a couple of years - unfortunately it opened only a few months before the pandemic.

It was a nice place - it used to be a funeral parlour, so they already had a cold room at the back to keep the beer...

https://www1.camra.org.uk/pubs/real-ale-way-westerham-128514
    Sounded like a good place to go for a stiff drink 
    It was a dead cert they wouldn’t survive.
  • Never ran out of spirits.
  • For anyone interested I popped in to the Royal Oak (Polly clean stairs) and the new landlord confirmed to me that they are having work done out the back to turn the part which was previously the nursery in to a playground for kids. Hopefully that will increase the number of customers.
    Stopped in the other Saturday pint of Fosters £5.60. Needs cheaper beer not a playground. 
  • As a young lad living on Eltham Hill back in the 60's I believe (my dad said anyway) that there were 11 places you could drink from the Yorkshire Grey roundabout to the top of Eltham High Street.  They were, and please add them if I've missed any.

The Yorkshire Grey
    Eltham Hill Social (Next to the old swimming baths)
    The White Hart
    The Chequers
    The Kings Arms
    The Crown
    The Greyhound
    The Carpenters Arms
    The Rising Sun
    The Man of Kent
    Eltham Conservative Club.

How many are still there? I know the Post Office was a new addition, but I haven't been back to Eltham for a few years now.

My favourite was The Crown, run by Dolly back then.
  • As a young lad living on Eltham Hill back in the 60's I believe (my dad said anyway) that there were 11 places you could drink from the Yorkshire Grey roundabout to the top of Eltham High Street.  They were, and please add them if I've missed any.

The Yorkshire Grey
    The White Hart
    The Chequers
    The Kings Arms
    The Crown
    The Greyhound
    The Carpenters Arms
    The Rising Sun
    The Man of Kent

How many are still there? I know the Post Office was a new addition, but I haven't been back to Eltham for a few years now.

I saw a very similar post to this on a Facebook group (London pubs or Living in SE London can't remember which). I was interested as we lived in Eltham from 98-05.

The Yorkshire Grey
    The White Hart
    The Chequers
    The Kings Arms
    The Crown
    The Greyhound
    The Carpenters Arms
    The Rising Sun
    The Man of Kent

The Bankers Draft came (and went?) between then and now.

The Yorkshire Grey
    The White Hart
    The Chequers
    The Kings Arms
    The Crown
    The Greyhound
    The Carpenters Arms
    The Rising Sun
    The Man of Kent

Whoops I missed off the Park Tavern which was my Mum and Dad's favourite which makes 12, and I'm pretty sure there were 13 in total. A nice easy pub crawl in the day.

The Yorkshire Grey
    The White Hart
    The Chequers
    The Kings Arms
    The Crown
    The Greyhound
    The Carpenters Arms
    The Rising Sun
    The Man of Kent

I saw a very similar post to this on a Facebook group (London pubs or Living in SE London can't remember which). I was interested as we lived in Eltham from 98-05.
    Derelictlonodn.com has loads of pub on it, not sure how up to date it is.
  • edited August 16
    On a similar theme, and going in the other direction from Eltham Hill towards Lewisham there was a proliferation of pubs in Lee, all pretty much in stumbling distance of each other - The two Tiger's Heads, the Prince Arthur and Duke of Edinburgh within a couple of hundred yards of each other - The Swan, The Greyhound and the Royal Oak all on one short street within spitting distance of The Dacre Arms and The Woodman. 

this was in the late 80's / Early 90s:-

New Tigers Head (gone)
    Old Tigers Head (maybe gone)
    Prince Arthur (gone)
    Duke of Edinburgh (still there)
    The Swan (now a bar)
    The Greyhound (gone)
    The Royal Oak (gone)
    The Dacre Arms (still there)
    The Woodman (gone)
  • Sponsored links:

The Yorkshire Grey
    The White Hart
    The Chequers
    The Kings Arms
    The Crown
    The Greyhound
    The Carpenters Arms
    The Rising Sun
    The Man of Kent

You could get a decent pint of Guinness or Hurlimans if you were brave , in the  Catholic Club next to the Church.

The Yorkshire Grey
    The White Hart
    The Chequers
    The Kings Arms
    The Crown
    The Greyhound
    The Carpenters Arms
    The Rising Sun
    The Man of Kent

You could get a decent pint of Guinness or Hurlimans if you were brave , in the  Catholic Club next to the Church.

Ah yes, that was the 13th watering hole.

• The Monty Club

The Yorkshire Grey
    The White Hart
    The Chequers
    The Kings Arms
    The Crown
    The Greyhound
    The Carpenters Arms
    The Rising Sun
    The Man of Kent

The Castle
    Park Tavern
  • On a similar theme, and going in the other direction from Eltham Hill towards Lewisham there was a proliferation of pubs in Lee, all pretty much in stumbling distance of each other - The two Tiger's Heads, the Prince Arthur and Duke of Edinburgh within a couple of hundred yards of each other - The Swan, The Greyhound and the Royal Oak all on one short street within spitting distance of The Dacre Arms and The Woodman. 

New Tigers Head (gone)
    Prince Arthur (gone)
    The Swan (now a bar)
    The Greyhound (gone)
    The Royal Oak (gone)
    The Woodman (gone)
    And after the Woodman there was Sports (Rose of Lee) Mrs H lived around the corner from The Rose of Lee when I first met her (1987) been in all of the above except the New Tigers Head.

The Yorkshire Grey - now Macdonald’s *Bastards*
    Eltham Hill Social (Next to the old swimming baths) - still there
    The White Hart - still there
    The Chequers - opened as Draughts PH around 15-20 years ago
    The Kings Arms - knocked down and redeveloped. Footprint is now Turkish restaurant with flats above.
    The Crown - now micro pub The Rusty Bucket
    The Greyhound - last I heard was squatters using it
    The Carpenters Arms - knocked down and redeveloped. Footprint was next, now a gym. The ‘Carpenters Arms Path’ exists next to the site.
    The Rising Sun - still there
    The Man of Kent - Closed. Think it is part of the fire station now.
    Eltham Conservative Club. - now the woodcroft club.

As suede says, the castle (now kfc) and park tavern (still there but very different from years gone by) are the ones missing.
    see in your quote for info on others as I understand it.
  • On a similar theme, and going in the other direction from Eltham Hill towards Lewisham there was a proliferation of pubs in Lee, all pretty much in stumbling distance of each other - The two Tiger's Heads, the Prince Arthur and Duke of Edinburgh within a couple of hundred yards of each other - The Swan, The Greyhound and the Royal Oak all on one short street within spitting distance of The Dacre Arms and The Woodman. 

New Tigers Head (gone)
    Prince Arthur (gone)
    The Swan (now a bar)
    The Greyhound (gone)
    The Royal Oak (gone)
    The Woodman (gone)
    And after the Woodman there was Sports (Rose of Lee) Mrs H lived around the corner from The Rose of Lee when I first met her (1987) been in all of the above except the New Tigers Head.
    What was the other boozer on the left just coming into Lewisham from Lee. 

Think it’s where Nando now is. 

Held on for years but never seemed to have any punters. 

New Tigers Head (gone)
    Prince Arthur (gone)
    The Swan (now a bar)
    The Greyhound (gone)
    The Royal Oak (gone)
    The Woodman (gone)

Sultan?

New Tigers Head (gone)
    Prince Arthur (gone)
    The Swan (now a bar)
    The Greyhound (gone)
    The Royal Oak (gone)
    The Woodman (gone)

Sultan?
    Yup. That’s it 👍🏼
  • edited August 16
    On a similar theme, and going in the other direction from Eltham Hill towards Lewisham there was a proliferation of pubs in Lee, all pretty much in stumbling distance of each other - The two Tiger's Heads, the Prince Arthur and Duke of Edinburgh within a couple of hundred yards of each other - The Swan, The Greyhound and the Royal Oak all on one short street within spitting distance of The Dacre Arms and The Woodman. 

New Tigers Head (gone)
    Prince Arthur (gone)
    The Swan (now a bar)
    The Greyhound (gone)
    The Royal Oak (gone)
    The Woodman (gone)
    The Rose of Lee was far too far to walk..! 

(And you needed to walk past Spice of Life, which was hard to do).
  • Sponsored links:

New Tigers Head (gone)
    Prince Arthur (gone)
    The Swan (now a bar)
    The Greyhound (gone)
    The Royal Oak (gone)
    The Woodman (gone)

The Sultan.

New Tigers Head (gone)
    Prince Arthur (gone)
    The Swan (now a bar)
    The Greyhound (gone)
    The Royal Oak (gone)
    The Woodman (gone)
    The Rose of Lee was far too far to walk..! 

(And you needed to walk past Spice of Life, which was hard to do).
    2 mins from where MrsH lived in Gilmore Road.

New Tigers Head (gone)
    Prince Arthur (gone)
    The Swan (now a bar)
    The Greyhound (gone)
    The Royal Oak (gone)
    The Woodman (gone)

The Sultan.
    It was the place to swing 

New Tigers Head (gone)
    Prince Arthur (gone)
    The Swan (now a bar)
    The Greyhound (gone)
    The Royal Oak (gone)
    The Woodman (gone)

The Sultan.
    It was the place to swing 
    Oh that's poor!

• Rob7Lee said:
    As a young lad living on Eltham Hill back in the 60's I believe (my dad said anyway) that there were 11 places you could drink from the Yorkshire Grey roundabout to the top of Eltham High Street.  They were, and please add them if I've missed any.

The Yorkshire Grey
    The White Hart
    The Chequers
    The Kings Arms
    The Crown
    The Greyhound
    The Carpenters Arms
    The Rising Sun
    The Man of Kent

Whoops I missed off the Park Tavern which was my Mum and Dad's favourite which makes 12, and I'm pretty sure there were 13 in total. A nice easy pub crawl in the day.
    You also missed off the Castle, closed when they built the Sainsbury's, where the KFC now is.

Used to have a Charlton connection 
  • Rob7Lee said:
    As a young lad living on Eltham Hill back in the 60's I believe (my dad said anyway) that there were 11 places you could drink from the Yorkshire Grey roundabout to the top of Eltham High Street.  They were, and please add them if I've missed any.

The Yorkshire Grey
    The White Hart
    The Chequers
    The Kings Arms
    The Crown
    The Greyhound
    The Carpenters Arms
    The Rising Sun
    The Man of Kent

You also missed off the Castle, closed when they built the Sainsbury's, where the KFC now is.

Used to have a Charlton connection 
    Thought the 161 from Charlton continued down Court Road to Chislehurst?
  • Wasn’t there a pub beyond The Rising Sun on the left before or just after Southend Crescent?