Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Are we actually going to sign any new players?

Comments

• Options
    cafcjoe said:

No one is signing anyone yet. We'll sign a striker next week or something. Obika will also come eventually. Weren't we saying same things last year about signings? 9 th wasn't bad!

Are you suggesting no other teams are making signings ?
  • Options
    I agree with the sentiments of many on this thread. I thought Hulse was woeful everytime I saw him play but if it's between him and no-one, I'll welcome him back
  • Options

CP said he would have liked to have kept Taylor--------- LIKED TO HAVE KEPT HIM. We sign Wood because he is cheaper------thats it.

Sad though it is the Bermondsey gold fish sellers have more dosh than us. They have brought in 5/6 plsayers and at least three brass pots for their caravan.

This season we have to HOPE that the team holds together and a few of the kids step up, someone wins mega money on the Euro ------no one is coming over Shooters Hill to save us.

This is CAFC.

There's no way Wood is cheaper than Taylor. Wood is a player who has spent most of his career in the Championship, Taylor played a lot of non-league and L1, which is the contract he was on when he left. Taylor wanted to play as a 31 year old, and we couldn't offer him consistent football as he was 4th choice. Wood is younger and more experienced at this level and I'd say more likely to challenge the other three for a spot in the team.

As for the criticism of Hulse (and I know you haven't said anything about him goonerhater but I don't want to post twice), it's not really a bad level is it:

2012/3 season:
    Rob Hulse: 15 apps, 3 goals
    BWP: 21 apps, 1 goal

Hulse did fine for us last season, certainly better than Brad did sadly. The fact Hulse didn't get on with Millwall is a badge of honour for me.
  • Options
    I think we should all just accept what we have and support the boys and mgr to the hilt, the reason we have no new players is the shoddy way the club is run and that despite the fact we are in London have a big ground with no need to overhaul and a fan base bigger than any of the other 2 sth London clubs around us, that the two clowns at the fore front of the club cannot get investment

either they are looking for too high a return on their investment or there is something wrong in the books that is causing people to walk away

if Doncaster rovers is a better investment than us then something is wrong

if we struggle this year anyone moaning and calling for the mgrs. head is not a cafc fan they are an idiot who can not see that there are 2 things wrong

slater and jimenez

too me we will only get out of this shit when those two are gone and that will happen by them running out of cash and the club going into meltdown or they accept to cut losses and the club sold cheaper than they are willing to do

forget players and support what we have

• Options
    Agree on the investment front we've had several parties rumoured to be interested yet nothing has happened. Only a month back Russians were interested and it fell through seems TJ doesn't want to spend any money on his investment as he is looking to get out quick
  • Options
    we pulled out on the Russian deal the rumour was they didn't have the cash
  • Options

I think we should all just accept what we have and support the boys and mgr to the hilt, the reason we have no new players is the shoddy way the club is run and that despite the fact we are in London have a big ground with no need to overhaul and a fan base bigger than any of the other 2 sth London clubs around us, that the two clowns at the fore front of the club cannot get investment

either they are looking for too high a return on their investment or there is something wrong in the books that is causing people to walk away

if Doncaster rovers is a better investment than us then something is wrong

if we struggle this year anyone moaning and calling for the mgrs. head is not a cafc fan they are an idiot who can not see that there are 2 things wrong

slater and jimenez

too me we will only get out of this shit when those two are gone and that will happen by them running out of cash and the club going into meltdown or they accept to cut losses and the club sold cheaper than they are willing to do

forget players and support what we have

Well said, I agree one hundred per cent with this. I am like any Charlton fan in wanting some new players in. But at the moment the continued well being of the Club we love is paramount. The best way to see that happening is to see the back of Slater and Jiminez. We should be a good catch for new investors, a ground of 27000 plus,in London, a growth area. Good training ground, and Academy. I can only think that the reason why we have not received any new backers is A) we are asking too much money. B) There are some anomalies in the accounts.
  • Options
    I am sorry, but it makes me laugh every time I read the word 'investment' - what people want is not an investment at all, rather someone to come out of the blue and simply give millions of pounds to the club, with little or no prospect of seeing it again.

Think of it that way and it not so difficult to see what such 'investment' is about as common as lottery wins!

The club has to live within its means (actually, scrap that, the club has to live within the level of losses that the board are willing to give away their own money to fund) there is no other way. If other clubs are not doing that, then they will be found out or they are very fortunate to have found a multi-millionaire with more money than sense.

No other business would expect to do anything other than cut its cloth to what it can afford.
  • Options
    Rob Hulse at his last three clubs:

Played 50
    Scored 5

Awful player.
  • Options

Played 50
    Scored 5

Awful player.

Still better than that other alternative Arthur Nobody

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Didn't think he was that bad. He is no World beater by any stretch but there were a fair few around him at the time who were playing woefully but that seems to be forgiven and forgotten.

A lot of people base performances on our home form last season. Him like fuller and the rest of the team's peformances were better away from the valley.

He missed some chances i agree but to say he is awful and way below the quality of the rest of the squad is imo deluded.

As loans went last season he was one of the best ones.
  • Options
    Wrong. If Hulse doesn't sign the position will be taken by Sammy Somebody. Chances are he'll score more than one every ten games.
  • Options

Agree on the investment front we've had several parties rumoured to be interested yet nothing has happened. Only a month back Russians were interested and it fell through seems TJ doesn't want to spend any money on his investment as he is looking to get out quick

Well I heard Jimenez changed the deal last minute so wealthy Russians pulled out.
  • Options
    StevieK said:

I am sorry, but it makes me laugh every time I read the word 'investment' - what people want is not an investment at all, rather someone to come out of the blue and simply give millions of pounds to the club, with little or no prospect of seeing it again.

Think of it that way and it not so difficult to see what such 'investment' is about as common as lottery wins!

The club has to live within its means (actually, scrap that, the club has to live within the level of losses that the board are willing to give away their own money to fund) there is no other way. If other clubs are not doing that, then they will be found out or they are very fortunate to have found a multi-millionaire with more money than sense.

No other business would expect to do anything other than cut its cloth to what it can afford.

I think you are right in one way and the fact that losses should be lower this year than last suggests that the club is becoming more professional?

Where the investment kicks in, is not in feeding the habit of some fans and managers for just one more "hit" (signing) but is in fact in calculating what it would take to get promotion to the Premier League.

So letting players go who are not considered part of either CAFC future or a promotion push is one way to improve prospects of being in the game for longer AND it provides some more financial headroom later in the season to sign players to cover for injuries and/or assist that push.

So are we going to do a QPR and lose £25M getting promoted AND £25M while in the Premier League?! Or a Leicester / Boro / Forest / Ipswich and lose £10M+ a year NOT getting promoted? Are the fans happy there or perhaps their players and agents are happier?!

For me, the quicker CAFC moves towards breakeven by reducing costs, increasing income and perhaps securing promotion(?) the quicker we reduce or get rid of the dependency on one person's investment. And back to our squad...

Not saying I agree 100% with all departures but what we have now is good enough for the first 10 games, given how we finished the season last time around... maybe we sign someone soon, maybe not but it's not critical... not at all. I know the nature of message boards but I wish people would have some faith with the current squad who finished just 3 points off the play offs only 2 months ago! First half of the season they (and perhaps the management!) were finding their feet at this level as a squad and a team. Now having signed Gower and Evina we are only missing Obika from that final 8 game run ... so what's the problem?!

• Options
    edited July 2013
    You've conveniently forgotten Fuller & Haynes (half our strike force). No wonder you don't see a problem :-)
  • Options
    I think we (& others) will get a couple in, when the Prem teams name their 25 or whatever number it is.
    I don't know when that happens.
  • Options

I think we (& others) will get a couple in, when the Prem teams name their 25 or whatever number it is.
    I don't know when that happens.

The squads of 25 have to be declared at the end of the transfer window which is the end of August.

• Options
    I would have liked Haynes to stay or failing that we have already signed Obika or someone by now but I am still very confident about the first 10 games - look at those fixtures and they don't look so scary as this time last year do they?
  • Options

I would have liked Haynes to stay or failing that we have already signed Obika or someone by now but I am still very confident about the first 10 games - look at those fixtures and they don't look so scary as this time last year do they?

Until Yann gets injured.

• Options
    Isn't that when Hulse turned up last time?

What is yann's injury record like over the years?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can only remember the red card as a reason for Yann missing games.
  • Options

He broke his ankle last season! However, he's so hard that he was back within 6 weeks.
  • Options

Isn't that when Hulse turned up last time?

What is yann's injury record like over the years?

He missed nearly 3 months last year. Had an ankle operation in September.

• Options
    Eleven days to KO and we have one striker. Is it just me or is there something wrong.
  • Options
    dabos said:

He broke his ankle last season! However, he's so hard that he was back within 6 weeks.
    Was that early on? My memory must be shocking!
  • Options

Eleven days to KO and we have one striker. Is it just me or is there something wrong.

Seems to me we're f***ed!
  • Options
    Maybe we can adopt the 4-6-0 formation if yann gets injured. Works for the Spanish.
  • Options

Hulse did score two or three goals for us, but I get the feeling he's been around the block once too often: his play is a bit predictable. He ain't gonna pull up many trees....

Yeah, I'll go along with that, liked the fella but get rid of BWP and bring back Hulse, emmm. Having said that, two different types of player
  • Options

dabos said:

Was that early on? My memory must be shocking!
    Yes, quite early on. It has probably slipped your memory because the injury occurred in training, not in a match. At the time CP said he may be out for three months, but as someone said earlier, Yann was back before that. He was a bit tentative at first, entirely understandably, and being a doom-monger I even wondered if he would ever get back to his old fearless, buccaneering self. But he did, and pretty damn quick. We all know he's a star. I wasn't at Pompey but was mighty impressed by him at AFC Wimbledon.

• Options

Played 50
    Scored 5

Awful player.

Still better than that other alternative Arthur Nobody

Arthur Nobody

Played 0
    Scored 0

Nobody has lots of potential and only scored 5 less than Hulse in 50 fewer appearances. And he's very cheap. Gotta be worth a look.